What's new

RT-AC66U - Router replacement advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nite01

Occasional Visitor
I've been using my RT-AC66U router for a few years (probably 10 ? I lost track...). Im running Merlin LTS on it (havent upgraded it from years tho).
I have a 2 floors house, and lately for some reason the wifi coverage has drastically decreased, with the devices on the upper floor running really slow and losing wifi connection.
The devices connected with lan cables work normally.

I figured it might be time to upgrade it.
As for budget I'd like to stay within 200eur (prices from Amazon.it).

I mostly need decent qos support and basic features (my current router has already more than I really need).
The main concern is about realiability\stability. I usually dont even restart the router for months at times.

Thanks

With your decade-long cadence of buying new hardware, I would recommend only AX class routers or better, beginning with the RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U, and up to the GT-AX6000 today. I don't know how the prices fare for your part of the world, but these models are the best value buys today (particularly when on sale).

The budget you have may not match the current reality, either save longer to get the models recommended or simply change that number (if it's that easy for you to do).

Consider yourself lucky to be using the RT-AC66U still. Almost all examples I set up when they were new were dead within ~3 years (with most being done in the first year).

With your decade-long cadence of buying new hardware, I would recommend only AX class routers or better, beginning with the RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U, and up to the GT-AX6000 today. I don't know how the prices fare for your part of the world, but these models are the best value buys today (particularly when on sale).

The budget you have may not match the current reality, either save longer to get the models recommended or simply change that number (if it's that easy for you to do).

Consider yourself lucky to be using the RT-AC66U still. Almost all examples I set up when they were new were dead within ~3 years (with most being done in the first year).
Hi,
in my local Amazon.it I could get an RT-AX86U for 278eur.
I also notice the ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 for 299eur. Would that be better ? Theres a minimal price difference atm.

Thanks for helping !

EDIT - nvm, somehow I did misread your reply and didnt see you already mentioned the AX6000... anyway I just bought that one !

Last edited:
The GT-AX6000 is a far better-balanced (hardware) router than the older RT-AX86U. It is the better choice even when more expensive, glad that you got that one instead.