What's new

Would like input Asus or other brand router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dokey1907

New Around Here
Hi all

From being with VM 250mbps using Asus ac86u has been great ( well the router more so 😃)

Currently running 30 device over WiFi with guest network for smart devices, 2 Lan smart TVs, a smart hub via lan and gaming pc on Lan, PS4 + ps5, Nintendo switch's.. tablets

Changed isp to 1Gb fiber broadband as better deal, having issues before fiber broadband.

My concern now: Asus ac86u can't keep up with the 1gb fiber, getting best 600mbps over WiFi5 and then there's the eol no more firmware updates

I like to keep security ie firmware etc updates where I can, I have pull up any information on SNB about where and what to do, there has been chat about issues with asus broadcom chipset routers, what do people recommend please

Love Asus router as for there easy of use via IP gui and android app

Many thanks

The most recommended Asus routers these days seem to be the RT-AX86U Pro and the RT-AX88U Pro. There are some WIFI 7 Asus routers that are up and coming but the two AX routers should be future proof for several years. I have the AX86U Pro and it can handle much more than I throw at it. Some claim the AX88U Pro performs better but the AX86U Pro does go on sale for up to $50 off.
As for other brands... good luck!

I've read a new post between the ax86u pro and the ax88u pro ( on SNB), sounds like the ax86u pro has better RF signal (over the ax88upro)

Would of thought it be the other way around

I've read a new post between the ax86u pro and the ax88u pro ( on SNB), sounds like the ax86u pro has better RF signal (over the ax88upro)

Would of thought it be the other way around
I don't know what post you're referring to but ignore any anecdotal reports from non-UK/EU users as their Wi-Fi regulations (and building construction) are completely different than the UK's.

I doubt there would be any practical Wi-Fi difference between the two UK models. I'd concentrate on the other differences, like the number and type of ports. Personally I think the AX88U Pro looks pug-ugly and would buy the AX86U Pro.

I don't know what post you're referring to but ignore any anecdotal reports from non-UK/EU users as their Wi-Fi regulations (and building construction) are completely different than the UK's.

I doubt there would be any practical Wi-Fi difference between the two UK models. I'd concentrate on the other differences, like the number and type of ports. Personally I think the AX88U Pro looks pug-ugly and would buy the AX86U Pro.
Edit; been reading this [Why doesn't the AX88U Pro's antenna array outperform the AX86U Pro's?] On SNB forum

88 is a bigger unit 50cm if I can recall, pug-ugly is a new one on me... Could always have a WiFi box on the wall I guess