What's new

[RT-AC66U, RT-AC87U] Roaming assistant RSSI span

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ogre

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm using a RT-AC66U and a RT-AC87U as APs to cover my house. The values for wl_user_rssi are between -70 and -90 dB (limited in the GUI). I'd like to try a higher value, i.e -60 or so, to get the AC66U to release the connection more easily.

Is there a particular reason ASUS put the selectable interval like this?
Would it be possible to expand it in Merlin to test?

My problem is that the 66 seems to hold on the the client too long when the 87 is in range with better signal.

I don't have any answer to that but I'm curious, does it work well otherwise with two ASUS AP's (which I assume you have configured with same SSID/security-settings) and roaming assistant?

It's working OK I guess, but I still have the problem that clients sometimes stick to one AP with a weak signal instead of moving to the other one, meaning that ASUS doesn't seem to actually kick out clients.
I use one ssid for 2.4 and another for 5 and my Macbooks and Nexus devices only use 5.

The AC87U is a real sore thumb and not worth the hassle in my opinion - with the latest FW it doesn't even start httpd reliably

Since all I want is reliable and fast wifi with seamless handover I'm thinking about getting Ubiquiti AC APs next time and skip the ASUS products. I'm not using their routing capabilities anyway, and nobody seem to test AP mode.

But as of the latest Merlin FW I have been experiencing more reliable 5GHz network, so I will give the current setup a bit more time.

Are you having any problems other than your client device not switching when you want it to? What device are you having problems with? Is it physically slowing your connection down or are the WiFi bars on your device not showing full signal?

The problem is that low signal strength equals low link speed. I have 250/100 MBit line and it's no problem maxing it if the signal strength is OK, but lower than -70dB I have actually had the client not being able to access Internet at all, even though it shows two bars or so. That with the other AP being in range with better signal strength.

iPhone 6 has been totally worthless - not reliable on 5GHz at all (It's my wife's phone and she's happy running reliably on 2.4 instead). I'm using Nexus 5, 6 and 7, with N6 being the most problematic client.

It's working OK I guess, but I still have the problem that clients sometimes stick to one AP with a weak signal instead of moving to the other one, meaning that ASUS doesn't seem to actually kick out clients.
I use one ssid for 2.4 and another for 5 and my Macbooks and Nexus devices only use 5.

The AC87U is a real sore thumb and not worth the hassle in my opinion - with the latest FW it doesn't even start httpd reliably

Since all I want is reliable and fast wifi with seamless handover I'm thinking about getting Ubiquiti AC APs next time and skip the ASUS products. I'm not using their routing capabilities anyway, and nobody seem to test AP mode.

But as of the latest Merlin FW I have been experiencing more reliable 5GHz network, so I will give the current setup a bit more time.

Ubiquiti UAP-AC does not yet support Zero-Handoff roaming (their variant of seamless roaming), it's still in development. (for a long time now)

You can, however, configure minimum RSSI for clients.

Ubiquiti UAP-AC does not yet support Zero-Handoff roaming (their variant of seamless roaming), it's still in development. (for a long time now)

You can, however, configure minimum RSSI for clients.
Just an idea ...

Would using

nvram set wl0_user_rssi="-nn"
nvram commit

where nn is your custom value outside the -70 to -90 range work?
--
bc

It could be worth trying.

The GUI will set it to -70 using javascript validation rules, so you would have to re-apply this change everytime you change a field in the Advanced_WAdvanced_Content.asp page in the web GUI.

I'll set it to -65 and see if I notice any difference.

Code:
#nvram get wl0_user_rssi

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!