What's new

RT-AC66U - Slow WAN to LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J'ai acheter ce routeur fin juillet, si le problème n'est pas logiciel je demanderais à Asus le remboursement...
J'ai testé un leger overclocking et le débit n'a pas augmenter, je ne sais pas quoi penser.

I buy this router end of July, if the problem is not software I ask Asus reimbursement ...
I tested a slight overclocking and flow does not increase, I do not know what to think.

sorry for people who speak English, I doubt the good translation by google translation. :(

Recent firmwares should support HW acceleration with PPPoE. Just make sure you don't have anything enabled that disables HW acceleration, such as QoS.

Everything has been checked about my problem and I even try disabling the firewall (I do not have Qos enable). ;)

My test on this topic have been made ​​with the latest firmware.

please keep up updated if you got any feedback from asus, if you success or return the router.
---
tiens nous au jus si tu as un retour du SAV d'asus, si tu réussi ou si tu renvois le tout. je vais pas tenir longtemps avec cette livebox ;)

excellent échange avec la personne chargé du service apres vente, mais au final il me propose d'attendre une mise à jour qui "pourrais" corriger le problème... :mad:

excellent exchange with the person in charge of after sales service, but in the end he offered me to wait an update that "might" fix the problem... :mad:

At risk of being repetitive, i’m sure that the issue of slow WAN to LAN downloads is a software problem and not a hardware related one.

My config is an FTTH PPPoE ISP provider with 200Mbs down and 60 upload speeds, and a CAT6 wired connection between ONT / router (ASUS 66U; N56U or Cisco RV180) / computer.

The WAN connection between ONT and ASUS routers is made normally by one VLAN (ID=10), so i configure the ASUS as IPTV with ISP Profile Manual, Internet VID10, PRIO 0, and LAN port 3,4 as unassigned ones, as i have not an IPTV subscription, only Internet.

With any FW after 3.0.0.4.354 for 66U, no matter how i do the FW upgrade, the downloads speeds go down from about 200 Mbps to about 140/160 Mbps, as i have reported here:

Another firmware that not fixes the restricted download bandwidth:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/547/956h.png/

With 3.0.0.4.354 firmware:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/u5br.png/

Interestingly, with HW accelerator disabled, download bandwidth goes up.

I have not updated the N56U firmware after 3.0.0.4.342, and download speeds are normal with N56U (about 200 Mbps).

With Cisco RV180, as it does not have the capability of VLAN in WAN area with PPPoE config, i have to change the ONT config to PPPoE bridge, binding VLAN10 in one of ONT ports, and the measured download speed is also about 200 Mb.

So, if with previous firmware for 66U and 56U i can obtain download speeds of 200 Mb and not with recent FW, the issue is firmware and not hardware related.

This is additionally confirmed as the RV180 with its modest hardware capability (300 MHz CPU, only 64 MB of RAM and small 16 MB flash memory), is also capable of 200 Mb downloads, even in PPPoE configuration.

About firmware 3.0.0.4.354 for AC66U there is an intriguing fact: we must do its flash with the WAN port open, otherwise the download speed is also cut down to 140/160 Mb, as i have mentioned in post #18.

In a rough supposition, i think this could be related to QoS being active if there is an operating connection (PPPoE only?) between the WAN port of 66U and ONT, this way disabling HW acceleration, but with more recent firmware, anyhow i do the flash the download speed is reduced.

Sorry by the lengthy post, but i think ASUS AC66U with its WRT derivative firmware has serious problems, at least for PPPoE connections, for anyone with download speeds higher than about 140 Mbps, as already noted by many people, and also think they should already have fixed it.

same probleme here ...

i can only confirm (but have no solution) that ac66u have a firmware (i hope) problem on pppoe.
i've just bought this router to replace the DSL-N55U (with beta firmware / dual wan) and the performance of this ac66u are worst.
i have 500/100 Mbps (FTTH) connection and some results:
- with my PC directly no problem: 509/100 [http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3078156825]
- with my old router dsl-n55u: 246/101 [http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3080966550] / FW: DSL-N55U_3.0.0.5_374_150
- with this new router rt-ac66u: 147/101 [http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3080951169] / FW: RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4.374_979
same router settings on both (hardware acc. enabled in ac66u).
if someone have any suggestion are welcome. tx.

Last edited:
i can only confirm (but have no solution) that ac66u have a firmware (i hope) problem on pppoe.
i've just bought this router to replace the DSL-N55U (with beta firmware / dual wan) and the performance of this ac66u are worst.
i have 500/100 Mbps (FTTH) connection and some results:
- with my PC directly no problem: 509/100 [http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3078156825]
- with my old router dsl-n55u: 246/101 [http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3080966550] / FW: DSL-N55U_3.0.0.5_374_150
- with this new router rt-ac66u: 147/101 [http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3080951169] / FW: RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4.374_979
same router settings on both (hardware acc. enabled in ac66u).
if someone have any suggestion are welcome. tx.

for 500Mbps pppoe you will need an actual computer to handle it. Just get a relatively decent pc with 2 lan ports.

for 500Mbps pppoe you will need an actual computer to handle it. Just get a relatively decent pc with 2 lan ports.

No, it’s not necessary a computer to handle 500 Mbps/PPPoE ; it’s necessary only a future good firmware, or an old firmware:
- RT-AC66U with 3.0.0.4.354 FW

Attachments

• Fibra 500 Mbps.jpg
    Fibra 500 Mbps.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 652
No, it’s not necessary a computer to handle 500 Mbps/PPPoE ; it’s necessary only a future good firmware, or an old firmware:
- RT-AC66U with 3.0.0.4.354 FW

someone have this firmware? i don't found on asus repo. tx.

It's working with 3.0.0.4.354

After "downgrading" the ac66u with this firmware (thanks squawker) i've passed from 150 Mbps at my ISP limit 500 Mbps (and the router still show 20% idle for the CPU).

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3084835236

So let's wait for a new firmware release from Asus and hope to have again those performances.

I ended up going back to .270 as well, I know that .354 works as well good job, glad to see everything is working.

Chris

We must do the firmware update (with 3.0.0.4.354) taking a few cautions:

- first do a restore to the factory defaults.
- without any connection to the router's WAN port, flash the firmware.
- after flash do not reset the router.

Without any of these mesures, there is not any improvement in WAN/LAN speeds.

There are many complaints about this issue around and i think ASUS should already have given an answer to this, specially because AC66U is a top router (with price tag accordingly) and many of users have providers with 200+ Mbps.
Thank you, i restested with Asuswrt-Merlin build 3.0.0.4.354.29 BETA 1 and works well (first test conclant not yet?). :D

3089764396.png

OK stephn and kfele, glad to see everything works the way it should.

I think that ASUS should not have removed some of earlier fw of their sites, because only with these fw (and Merlin derivatives, as stephn noted) we can obtain WAN/LAN throughput above ~ 140 Mbps in PPPoE connections.

And a remark about this subject on the ASUS Support website would prevent troubles to many customers with high speed PPPoE ISP.

And this issue (among others) has prevented me from buying the 68U until now, as i think it could be also affected by this fw problem and it is a little discouraging to buy a top notch router (with price tag accordingly) and not be able to enjoy all badwidth your ISP offers.

Hello,

I just bought an AC66U to handle my 1Gbps connection but it doesnt go over 280 Mbps DL with the latest official firmware.The connection is not PPPOE it's simple DHCP, i tried various fw(merlin inclusive and that Beta 1) and HW acceleration is on(QoS is off), but no luck!Normally I get 650Mbps+ when connected directly to PC.
Is it a HW problem or what?It's interesting that the upload is over 350 Mbps and with some merlin fw the download speed was slower with ~50Mbps.

Last edited:
Hello,

I just bought an AC66U to handle my 1Gbps connection but it doesnt go over 280 Mbps DL with the latest official firmware.The connection is not PPPOE it's simple DHCP, i tried various fw(merlin inclusive and that Beta 1) and HW acceleration is on(QoS is off), but no luck!Normally I get 650Mbps+ when connected directly to PC.
Is it a HW problem or what?It's interesting that the upload is over 350 Mbps and with some merlin fw the download speed was slower with ~50Mbps.

An AC66U should have no trouble hitting well over 700 Mbps if HW acceleration is enabled. Note that there are other features that can disable HW acceleration. If running my FW< check the Tools -> Sysinfo Page to validate that HW acceleration is really enabled. With the original firmware, connect through telnet and make sure the output of this command shows 0:

Code:
nvram get ctf_disable

Otherwise, I would try replacing the Ethernet cable between the modem and the router (and between the router and the test computer as well, to be safe). Also, power down your modem for about 10 mins then turn it back on to ensure your connection with the ISP gets completely reset. This is often important when you switch back and forth between two different routers, or between a router and a computer.

Hello Merlin,

I tried the Tools menu when i had your fw on and it showed HW enabled.Unfortunately i can not change the Ethernet cable between me and the ISP, the connection from the ISP's equipment(which is not in my house) it's done via ethernet cable but i'll try changing the cable between my PC and router.
i'm sorry but i don't know how to connect through Telnet, is this done via ms-command?
From your experience did you meet this problem before when this router can't handle a Wan-Lan gigabit connection done through DHCP?

thnx for your support

I tried the Tools menu when i had your fw on and it showed HW enabled.Unfortunately i can not change the Ethernet cable between me and the ISP, the connection from the ISP's equipment(which is not in my house) it's done via ethernet cable

In that case I doubt it's that cable, since I assume that's the one you were plugging directly into your PC when you tested without the router. But it's definitely worth trying to change the cable between the PC and the router.

i'm sorry but i don't know how to connect through Telnet, is this done via ms-command?
From your experience did you meet this problem before when this router can't handle a Wan-Lan gigabit connection done through DHCP?

thnx for your support

If you have my FW installed then you won't need to check through telnet - that info is what is being displayed on the Sysinfo page.

In my own tests on a gigabit LAN, I was able to push beyond 800 Mbits between the LAN and the WAN port of my RT-AC68U. I never tried on the RT-AC66U, but Tim did in his review of the RT-AC66U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!