What's new

RT-AC68 - New firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3602 (AVOID)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's right! The bootloader version is the same.

So, how can we know if the new bootloader is present in the unreleased .3226? Maybe, somebody who skipped .3602 that upgraded to .3626 or above can confirm their bootloader, that will be great.

So, how can we know if the new bootloader is present in the unreleased .3226? Maybe, somebody who skipped .3602 that upgraded to .3626 or above can confirm their bootloader, that will be great.

Check if your router still has a /rom/cfe folder. If yes, then it means they kept the CFE updater in it, and people going from 376.2769 straight to 376.3626 would probably also have their CFE updated.

The CFE update is required for future firmware releases, as the RT-AC68P main partition is now too small for added features such as the TrendMicro DPI engine.

didn't touch 3602

from
RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1.trx
with bl_version=1.0.1.6

direct to
RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376_3626-g9a8323e.trx
now bl_version=1.0.2.0

Check if your router still has a /rom/cfe folder. If yes, then it means they kept the CFE updater in it, and people going from 376.2769 straight to 376.3626 would probably also have their CFE updated.

The CFE update is required for future firmware releases, as the RT-AC68P main partition is now too small for added features such as the TrendMicro DPI engine.

Is it safe to say now and in the future that every firmware will check the CFE version and if it's not at 1.0.2.0 level it will upgrade the bootloader?

Hi,

Is the bootloader issue affects RT-N66u as well?

The RT-AC68U is the only model that include a CFE upgrader in its FW.

Is it safe to say now and in the future that every firmware will check the CFE version and if it's not at 1.0.2.0 level it will upgrade the bootloader?

From what I gathered, 376_3602 was expected to be the final 376_xxxx firmware for the RT-AC68U. I assume the plan was to have 3602 flashed first, and then the larger 378 FW would be flashable on top of it.

So if they have to release additional bugfix releases in the 376_xxxx series (like 3626), then they will probably all carry the same CFE upgrader.

That's at least what I would logically expect - I haven't been given any inside info as to the plan behind this upgrade, beside the fact it was meant for increasing the partition size for next year's new features additions. Maybe they will keep integrating the partition upgrader in 378 releases as well so long they are within the current 32 MB limit.

This shouldn't impact my firmware in the short term, since I found other ways to free up a good amount of space. Unless future features from Asus end up taking a LOT more space than expected, at which point I will consider my options. Most likely I'd make a separate release for CFE upgrade purposes, so people flashing it will know in advance that this is a more dangerous update than usual.

Yes, the same files are on /rom/cfe, the CFE update will happen also on 3626.

From what I gathered, 376_3602 was expected to be the final 376_xxxx firmware for the RT-AC68U. I assume the plan was to have 3602 flashed first, and then the larger 378 FW would be flashable on top of it.

So if they have to release additional bugfix releases in the 376_xxxx series (like 3626), then they will probably all carry the same CFE upgrader.

That's at least what I would logically expect - I haven't been given any inside info as to the plan behind this upgrade, beside the fact it was meant for increasing the partition size for next year's new features additions. Maybe they will keep integrating the partition upgrader in 378 releases as well so long they are within the current 32 MB limit.

This shouldn't impact my firmware in the short term, since I found other ways to free up a good amount of space. Unless future features from Asus end up taking a LOT more space than expected, at which point I will consider my options. Most likely I'd make a separate release for CFE upgrade purposes, so people flashing it will know in advance that this is a more dangerous update than usual.

Is it possible to take the corrected version 3626 from asus to restore my 5GHz and then go back to the Merlin 48.1?

Is it possible to take the corrected version 3626 from asus to restore my 5GHz and then go back to the Merlin 48.1?

That depends on the actual cause of the problem. I have no idea if it's a firmware issue (which means flashing my firmware followed by a factory default reset would fix it), or new default values found in the updated CFE (which might require the firmware code to be "in-sync" with them).

If you already updated to 376.3602 and you are within the EU I guess it is worth a try to update to 376.3626 and afterwards switch to Merlin 376.48_1 following a factory reset.

I'm in EU
and on Merlin 376.48_1 now again with bl_version=1.0.2.0
after short visit on 3626.

One problem discovered so far:
My Huawei E3276s-150 NoneHilink/dualwan dongle is malfunctional, working on it....

Now on their web

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3626
[Important] Please press the reset button more than five seconds to reset the router after firmware updated

- Fixed the EU/JP/China 5GHz disappear issue which is caused by 3.0.0.4.376_3602
- Increased the firmware partition size in preparation for further new features.
- Added Airtime fairness in WirelessProfessional

Network map new features:
- Click the lock icon in client profile to assign fixed IP for client.
- Added number on client icon to show how many clients connect to repeater and AP under router
- Added the DHCP and static IP identification.
Known issue. If the IP is fixed in client side, Network map would show DHCP.

Security related
- Upgraded OpenSSL library to 1.0.0o
- Added SSH daemon in administration -> system

Bug fixes
3G/LTE
- Fixed HUAWEI E180, E261, E1750, E1780, EC122, EC1260, EC1261, EC150, EC167, ET128, compatibility issue.
- Fixed ZTE MU251, T A356, AC580, AC590 compatibility issue.
- Fixed BandLuxe C170 compatibility issue.
- Fixed HTC M8 USB tethering compatibility issue.

Others
- Fixed NAT loopback issue.
- Fixed samba issue when plugging two USB drives.
- Fixed the NTP sync issue in AP mode.
- Fixed user interface issues for IPTV, Media bridge mode, VPN server.

Glad I did not see 3602. I have now installed 3.0.0.4.376.3626 and had one observation and a couple of questions.

Observation: The official support page says, "[Important] Please press the reset button more than five seconds to reset the router after firmware updated" Well I manually power cycled the router and after the web page returned I held the reset button for about 10 seconds and did not see anything happen. What have I missed?

Questions:
1) I see the system admin page now has a selection for SSH Enabled with is default off. Since they never update the manual to explain these new features what is the advice to go along with this setting?

2) I see the system admin page now has a selection for "Enable WAN down browser redirect notice" with default YES. What is the advice to go along with this setting?

3) they say they added Airtime Fairness in wireless professional but I all ready had that selection in version 1663?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Observation: The official support page says, "[Important] Please press the reset button more than five seconds to reset the router after firmware updated" Well I manually power cycled the router and after the web page returned I held the reset button for about 10 seconds and did not see anything happen. What have I missed?

After flashing 3626 to my RT-AC68U my reset button is not working properly either. I have twice held it in for more than 5 seconds and it reboots the router but does not reset to factory defaults as it used to with previous firmwares.

After logging in with my existing credentials, I used the reset to factory default function on the administration page - this reset most but not all settings to factory defaults. Items I noticed that did not get reset were radio channel number and bandwidth settings.

Update 3626 fixed the 5G for me, the bandwidth is back up to 80Hz.
Also my reset button is working fine.

After flashing 3626 to my RT-AC68U my reset button is not working properly either. I have twice held it in for more than 5 seconds and it reboots the router but does not reset to factory defaults as it used to with previous firmwares.

After logging in with my existing credentials, I used the reset to factory default function on the administration page - this reset most but not all settings to factory defaults. Items I noticed that did not get reset were radio channel number and bandwidth settings.
My reset button is fine. The reset button will just reboot the router. If you wish to clear the NVRAM then you press and hold the WPS button with the power off. Simply power up the router while pressing the WPS button and I hold it in for about 10 seconds just to be safe. The power LED on the router should pulsate very fast while you are pressing and holding the WPS button. That will wipe everything which by the sounds of things would not be such a bad idea for your router. Then manually reenter your configuration setting or use the utility that is attached to a thread in the Asuswrt-Merlin forum. Do NOT use a saved config file to reload your settings as this defeats the purpose of wiping your NVRAM clean in the first place.

Last edited:
Is the link to the Polish site providing the Polish version or is the page just in Polish and the firmware is supported for US English?

I checked the official US support site for the RT-AC68U/P and either has that version. Am I missing something?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!