What's new

RT-AC68U - AiMesh and Ethernet backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Have you tried something simple like an RJ45 Inline Coupler Adapter?

I'l give this a shot when i can take the internet down without the family knowing. These nodes were hard reset before meshing them.

After a week with AiMesh, I'm lukewarm to it. I have noticed what appears to be more 'deadspots in my home. I'll see my phone lose the wifi signal and jump to LTE and them pick wifi back up. Also, with wifi calling, as i roam around the house, i can hear the call drop.

What i am saying is is that i thought that this would be better than my router and a hardwired AC68U (as an ap) but at this point i am not convinced on this. I am sure it'll get better.

Thanks for the help. I'll try the backhaul without the switch and see what happens.

This is my config now (minus the second AIMesh node)

View attachment 29217
my issue is when I checked my switch it has the wan ports set up but because I hard wired my 4 televisions from around the house the wiring comes into my basement and I have to plug them into my switch so they work. Unless I am mistaken I cannot, therefore, use backhaul?

I went back to the Router and AP system I was using before. I was seeing too many inconsistencies with AIMesh (drops, dead zones) that I wasn't seeing with the Router and AP setup.

I'll try it again when a new firmware drops.

What is AiMesh going to add as a benefit over using AP mode? I was looking at maybe purchasing another router to replace my R7000 I'm currently using in AP mode with my AC88U thru a switch (GS308T) as well. I have the same WiFi setup with just different channels and it roams fine. I did have a GS116 before but wanted LACP LAG enabled from the AC88U to the Main switch so I bought the GS308T and coupled it with my GS308.

Many benefits over AP mode when the two or more routers are identical or at least the same 'Class' (i.e. AC, AX, AXE, etc.) and running the same level of firmware.

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX95Q - AiMesh

What is AiMesh going to add as a benefit over using AP mode? I was looking at maybe purchasing another router to replace my R7000 I'm currently using in AP mode with my AC88U thru a switch (GS308T) as well. I have the same WiFi setup with just different channels and it roams fine. I did have a GS116 before but wanted LACP LAG enabled from the AC88U to the Main switch so I bought the GS308T and coupled it with my GS308.

From what I can see, centralized management of your nodes and the ability to use wireless mesh (whereas with an AP, you have to hardwire). I have seen some inconsistencies with AIMesh, as documented in this thread. It's not a bad way to go but I went back to the AP route and it seems to be working better.

From what I can see, centralized management of your nodes and the ability to use wireless mesh (whereas with an AP, you have to hardwire). I have seen some inconsistencies with AIMesh, as documented in this thread. It's not a bad way to go but I went back to the AP route and it seems to be working better.
I'm comparing Ethernet backhaul for both. I have no desire for a wireless backhaul.

Many benefits over AP mode when the two or more routers are identical or at least the same 'Class' (i.e. AC, AX, AXE, etc.) and running the same level of firmware.

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX95Q - AiMesh
That's what I'm asking..... what are the benefits? I'm running my 2nd router as an AP using the same SSID/Password. When I move about my phone usually connects to the stronger signal.

Quick update here. Using firmware 3.0.0.4.386.41634, I enabled Ethernet Backhaul and everything worked. As you'll recall. enabling this used to knock the nodes off line. So, it turns out to be a firmware issue.

Notice that there is a 41994 beta that was also released on the Support website to rush out a batch of security fixes:

RT-AC68U - Support (asus.com)

OE

Still have issues using a switches on the LAN used as backaul. This is intermittent, there is short brakes in the network traffic. Annoying when watching IP-tv.
Any news about this issue?
I'm using AC-86U, bur it's exactly the same behaviour.

Which switches? What firmware? How long has this been an issue? What was the last firmware that worked?

Which switches? What firmware? How long has this been an issue? What was the last firmware that worked?
Never worked with this switches, regardless firmware version. After updating both switches and routers to latest stable firmware, it's usable, even if a small piece of the problem still persists.
Switches are Zyxel GS1900-8HP and Netgear GS105PE. Using them in passive mode, default settings.
Tried to switch QoS off in AC-86U this evening and see if it helps.

Try with 'dumb' switches instead. Cheap $10 fix/test.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!