What's new

RT-AC68U Aimesh Node 2.4 Ghz not working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
RT-AC86U w/ 384.16, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, Scribe, UiScribe, Conmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, NtpMerlin, OpenVPN selective clients

I don't think my 68U node is working on the 2.4 ghz frequency. How can I be sure since I can't access it directly? I have a lots of drops from weak signals in the log file that have just appeared, and I can't connect to the 2.4 ghz frequency network with clients out of the wireless range of the primary RT-AC86U router. I have separate networks established for the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. How can I address it?
tia,
jts

Since you have separate SSID that means you are not using Smart Connect - something I've had problems with when mixing a 68U node in with an 86U main unit and another 86U node.

On your 86U use wifi radar --> Start Survey. You should see two entries for each SSID, the weaker signal one would be the node.

upload_2020-4-24_9-21-25.png

Dont forget to 'Start Data Collection' in the Site Survey Configuration screen. Then dont forget to turn it off.

Since you have separate SSID that means you are not using Smart Connect - something I've had problems with when mixing a 68U node in with an 86U main unit and another 86U node.

On your 86U use wifi radar --> Start Survey. You should see two entries for each SSID, the weaker signal one would be the node.

View attachment 23022

Dont forget to 'Start Data Collection' in the Site Survey Configuration screen. Then dont forget to turn it off.

Thank You. I will take a look at that and see what I learn there to fix it.
jts

Well, it is there, but I can't connect to it, right below the jones network. It shows only 5 ghz clients attached to my node.
And my log has a lot of these:

Apr 24 08:52:33 RT-AC86U-8F38 roamast: determine candidate node [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx](rssi: -41dbm) for client [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx](rssi: -82dbm) to roam
Apr 24 08:52:33 RT-AC86U-8F38 roamast: eth5: disconnect weak signal strength station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx]
Apr 24 08:52:33 RT-AC86U-8F38 roamast: eth5: remove client [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] from monitor list
Apr 24 08:53:23 RT-AC86U-8F38 ovpn-client1[4547]: TLS: tls_process: killed expiring key

network-24-2020-04-24 085450.png

All is well now, for some reason my Node was stuck and clients couldn't join the 2.4 Ghz network through it, even though it was broadcasting to some degree.
A second reboot fixed it seems like, and I upgraded to 384.17 beta1 firmware while I was at it. No issues with this currently.
Thanks for the help.
jts

To whoever is affected by this, a firmware downgrade fixed this for me. I had a RT-AC68U aimesh node that was broadcasting / receiving 2.4ghz fine for about two months until it apparently stopped accepting clients connecting to it (full description: 2.4ghz would appear to have good signal strength before connecting, and then would drop to zero upon connecting, likely because each 2.4ghz device was trying to connect to the parent/master router and/or the node was not accepting new connections). I downgraded just the node to firmware 3.0.0.4.386.41634 from 3.0.0.4.386.43129, but I don't think its really the firmware that's the issue; I think downgrading the node firmware somehow resets some faulty state/setting in the node.