What's new

RT AC68U and windows 11

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adacom

Occasional Visitor
start with initial setup - cable from lan port on laptop to lan port on RT AC68U to access UI to set a few things up before replacing AC66U router - type 192.168.1.1 or router.asus.com times out and i cannot get to login screen - router has been reset so login values are correct afaik

now the above may be the wrong way of going about things but its how i set up the current AC66U that i have running and many other routers and isp modem/routers BUT all those would have been done on windows 10

so back to the AC68U and repeat the initial steps on a windows 10 computer - thats cable from laptop to lan port one on router - 192.168.1.1 and i can log into router UI

so the question is WHY? - or another one i always ask - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? - the router is running the latest firmware which is common to windows 10 and 11 so i rule that out

the router works on windows 10 as i expect so i assume i can rule out its faulty - the lan cable i am using works perfectly on a windows 10 setup so thats ok

have i been doing it wrong all this time and have been found out or am i missing something

thanks for any insight

To access your router on IP address 192.168.1.1 from your attached Windows computer or laptop, I believe that interface connected to the router needs to be configured with another valid IP address on subnet 192.168.1.0/24 . Is it?

Last edited:
honest answer is i have no idea - will check later but if it is that then it must be correct on the win 10 laptop and i have not changed or set anything - that laptop is currently working on an AC66U router in access point mode with an internal ip of 192.168.0.99 so i doubt there are any settings in the 1.0 range

and again - that windows 10 laptop works as i expect with the 68U

then again microsoft may have added something in 11 thats causing this

Last edited:
I don't recall if Asus routers default to dhcp being enabled. But I thought that they weren't. If I'm wrong then then perhaps the interface would just pick up an appropriate 192.168.1.0/24 IPv4 address from dhcp.

DHCP comes up as enabled - that was one of the things i wanted to change before i added it to my system thats when getting in via windows 10

its internal ip is 192.168.1.1 not sure what the subnet mask was but i think it was 255.255.255.0 - will do some checking to confirm

As a troubleshooting step manually configure the network adapter on the Win 11 laptop for an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range. For example:

Then try accessing the RT-AC68U. Found on some occasions I had to hard code the computer's IP address into it's networking adapter before it will access a router I've direct connected to it's networking port. Also as another troubleshooting step on Win 11, try using a browser other than Edge.

As a troubleshooting step manually configure the network adapter on the Win 11 laptop for an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range. For example:

Then try accessing the RT-AC68U. Found on some occasions I had to hard code the computer's IP address into it's networking adapter before it will access a router I've direct connected to it's networking port. Also as another troubleshooting step on Win 11, try using a browser other than Edge.
Thanks. I was implying that but didn't come out and say it.

thanks will look at that - as a much broader question then what i am seeing is not unknown - the main reason for the original question is/was to determine if the 68U is faulty as its change in behaviour when connected to the windows 11 laptop is not what i expected - but once i have got past that point and set it up and added it to my network it connects to the internet via the modem and works

i am always looking to learn so will follow up on the suggestions but as said my main concern is getting things working

Windows 10 or Windows 11 shall not make a difference.
Different computers and their setup can make a difference.
First make sure the network port of the Windows 11 computer is really functional, enabled and the IP settings are suitable to access the router.
The RT-AC68U by default (after a hard reset or out of the box) has DHCP enabled, so in that case you can leave the computer network IPv4 settings to automatically obtain the the proper values.
Most RT-AC68U default to address 192.168.1.1 some default to 192.168.0.1
With the latest firmware you can access the router at URL: router.asus.com
In case of doubts you can set the computer networks settings manual to 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.0.100 and 255.255.255.0
First try to ping the router, if that doesn't work, opening the router configuration will not work as well.

Windows 10 or Windows 11 shall not make a difference.
Different computers and their setup can make a difference.
First make sure the network port of the Windows 11 computer is really functional, enabled and the IP settings are suitable to access the router.
The RT-AC68U by default (after a hard reset or out of the box) has DHCP enabled, so in that case you can leave the computer network IPv4 settings to automatically obtain the the proper values.
Most RT-AC68U default to address 192.168.1.1 some default to 192.168.0.1
With the latest firmware you can access the router at URL: router.asus.com
In case of doubts you can set the computer networks settings manual to 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.0.100 and 255.255.255.0
First try to ping the router, if that doesn't work, opening the router configuration will not work as well.
i had wondered about the network port on the 11 laptop but i have a 3rd laptop again with windows 11 on it and get the same result - so its really too much to think they are both faulty - the cable is [obviously] another thing that could be faulty but the same cable is fine on the win 10 setup

so the common thing is windows 11 on the 2 laptops

after reset the ip is 192.168.1.1 and DHCP is enabled i see that on the windows 10 setup - network port to lan port on router with no other connection - on the 11 computer i cannot access the UI - not tried to ping it and have not changed the computer network settings - thats to look at

but thinking about it i am more confused - allowing for the fact the win11 laptop will not see the router after a reset - it will not see it after it has been set up to access point mode via the win10 setup

to clarify - connect router to win10 laptop - set up wifi ssid and passwords - turn off dhdp and change its internal address to 192.168.0.81 - save at each stage and finally reboot hub - in win10 laptop type 192.168.0.81 in browser - edge - vivaldi - firefox and i get to log in screen - login and i am in UI

move router to win11 laptop and type 192.168.0.81 and i cannot connect - wifi at this moment is turned off on laptop - disconnect lan cable - turn on wifi and i can log into UI - so its the cable connection when i am on windows 11 - its not the port as i can repeat it on 2 different laptops and if i connect either laptop via a cable to my existing network i connect to the internet thus proving the network port and cable are good

Last edited:
For sake of it (never sure, W11 has some slight different security features and settings compared to W10) I tried accessing my RT-AC68U wired from a W11 computer, no issue at all.
What kind of Windows 11 installation is on your computers? Self installed, a corporate enterprise version or what?
With DHCP off in the router, you shall manually set the Windows 11 machines to an address in the 192.168.0.x range.
First to try is a ping.

For sake of it (never sure, W11 has some slight different security features and settings compared to W10) I tried accessing my RT-AC68U wired from a W11 computer, no issue at all.
What kind of Windows 11 installation is on your computers? Self installed, a corporate enterprise version or what?
With DHCP off in the router, you shall manually set the Windows 11 machines to an address in the 192.168.0.x range.
First to try is a ping.
11 is self install pro updated via windows update from a 10 pro from a OEM install - Dell

just for clarity you say you can access the ui from 11 can you clarify how - let me put down again where i cannot and can

asus 68u connected to laptop network port via cable - cable plugged into lan port - any of 1 to 4 - no internet access obviously - router has been hard reset - can connect to ui via 192.168.1.1

so change a few things in settings wifi password - ssid - lan address to 192.168.0.81 and turn off dhcp saving each setting change - finally reboot router - try to log in using 192.168.0.81 - browser times out no connection

now assuming i have not got my thinking back to front i should be able to log into the ui - i can see the wifi networks on my network list to the changes have taken

if i connect the configured router to my isp modem and go to 192.168.0.81 i can log into the ui

have i got it wrong - my logic is that i can see the ui on the 66u with just a connection to the laptop and have done the same on other routers in the past

to clarify - connect router to win10 laptop - set up wifi ssid and passwords - turn off dhdp and change its internal address to 192.168.0.81 -
Sorry, this appears to make no sense. Why are you turning off DHCP? Why are you setting the IP address to 0.81 rather than the more normal 0.1? Are you trying to set this up as an access point rather than a router?

Sorry, this appears to make no sense. Why are you turning off DHCP? Why are you setting the IP address to 0.81 rather than the more normal 0.1? Are you trying to set this up as an access point rather than a router?
yes i want it as an access point - i think i stated that earlier but no matter - and yes i know thats a waste of a good router but it suits my needs and more importantly the layout of my physical network - to use it in full router mode would mean extensive modifications to my network layout and wiring

so i am happy to lose what i lose by running it as an access point as i have been doing with the 66U

Sorry, I missed the mention of it being in access point mode. Maybe just leave the DHCP client enabled and then try accessing it via whatever IP address your main router assigns it.

In access point mode there should be no need to statically assign IP addresses to the client PCs. That discussion was what led me to think you were configuring it in router mode.

Sorry, I missed the mention of it being in access point mode. Maybe just leave the DHCP client enabled and then try accessing it via whatever IP address your main router assigns it.

In access point mode there should be no need to statically assign IP addresses to the client PCs. That discussion was what led me to think you were configuring it in router mode.
ok things to try but until i actually to connect it to my network it wont have an ip address [will it?] and if i leave dhcp enabled will that bot result in a double nat

sorry its getting way past my knowledge and i come back and say i set the 68u up as i have the 66u at the moment - the 66u i can see with an ip of 192.168.0.99 so my logic says if i do the same in the 68u it should work just change the ip from.99 to avoid confusion

just for clarity you say you can access the ui from 11 can you clarify how
Straight forward: PC in flight mode to disable WiFi and connected a network cable from the router LAN port 1 to the PC network port.
Checked that the PC got an IP address on the local network and opened browser Edge to "router.asus .com" also tried 192.168.1.1, both worked.
Talking about Local Network: is your Windows 11 set to allow access by devices on the Private network?

Screen shots of a command window with the result of command "ipconfig" while you have connected the Windows 11 PC to the router may help.
Usually the first lines are of the Ethernet adapter.

[EDIT]
Please also make a screenshot of the command window with a "ping" command to the router.

going way beyond anything i understand - i got lost when i could not connect to the 68u where as i can to the 66u

so flight mode cable from laptop to router - router dhcp off with internal ip of 192.168.0.81

Attachments

• ip.png
    ip.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 43
ok things to try but until i actually to connect it to my network it wont have an ip address [will it?]..
No, and neither will your PC. Hence why you got a 169 address in post #19.

and if i leave dhcp enabled will that bot result in a double nat
No. Double NAT would only happen if it was configured in router mode.

sorry its getting way past my knowledge and i come back and say i set the 68u up as i have the 66u at the moment - the 66u i can see with an ip of 192.168.0.99 so my logic says if i do the same in the 68u it should work just change the ip from.99 to avoid confusion
Just configure it with it connected to your main router. Trying to configure it without that connection just makes things unnecessarily complicated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!