What's new

RT-AC68U Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7.2 can't access login since firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IanCD

Occasional Visitor
Since I updated firmware to Merlin 386.7.2 the router is refusing access to login to the GUI.
I've reset a few times now.
The first connection after factory reset brings up the configuration wizard and works each time, but after configuration the router rejects connections to its IP address for login.
Wireless and wired connections to internet through the router DO work, though.
Any ideas..?
First posted on Asus Routers forum, then wondered if it should have been here, so copied... Hope the duplication isn't an issue: apologies if it is, though I'm guessing Mods will delete one or other of them if that's best.
Ian

What IP address are you using to connect to the router?

After performing a reset, the router's LAN IP could be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1 depending on your model. (Edit: It should be 192.168.1.1 for the AC68U).

Since I updated firmware to Merlin 386.7.2 the router is refusing access to login to the GUI.
The first connection after factory reset brings up the configuration wizard and works each time, but after configuration the router rejects connections to its IP address for login.
Wireless and wired connections to internet through the router DO work, though.
Any ideas..?
First posted on Asus Routers forum, then wondered if it should have been here, so copied... Hope the duplication isn't an issue: apologies if it is, though I'm guessing Mods will delete one or other of them if that's best.
Ian
Which IP are you using for conection to the router? I had the same problem as I used 192.168.1.1 but the default one is 192.168.50.1.

Hi both,
I probably should have said the AC68U is configured as an Access Point, connected via ethernet to gateway router, Fritz!Box 7590.
The FritzBox allocates AC68U IP address: 192.168.0.39
This has always worked in the past.
router.asus.com doesn't work... the AC68U won't allow connection to login...

Hi both,
I probably should have said the AC68U is configured as an Access Point, connected via ethernet to gateway router, Fritz!Box 7590.
The FritzBox allocates AC68U IP address: 192.168.0.39
This has always worked in the past.
router.asus.com doesn't work... the AC68U won't allow connection to login...
Can you check what IP address is being assigned to the AC68U by the Fritzbox? If you had a static IP configured in the AC68U, it was erased by the resets. I must say that I've never used these devices as Access Points. I might be missing something obvious here...

Perform a hard factory reset then using a PC wired to the router access the RT-AC68U's GUI page at IP address: 192.168.1.1. You may have to temporarily configure your PC (or device's) for a static IP address in the 192.168.1.x range.

If the router GUI isn't coming up after initial configuration; then what Operation Mode did you configure the RT-AC68U for? (Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default), Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode, Repeater mode, Media Bridge, or AiMesh Node) Could be if using something other than Wireless Router Mode the RT-AC68U is using a different IP address than the default, or is blocking access to it's GUI entirely.

Perform a hard factory reset then using a PC wired to the router access the RT-AC68U's GUI page at IP address: 192.168.1.1. You may have to temporarily configure your PC (or device's) for a static IP address in the 192.168.1.x range.

If the router GUI isn't coming up after initial configuration; then what Operation Mode did you configure the RT-AC68U for? (Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default), Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode, Repeater mode, Media Bridge, or AiMesh Node) Could be if using something other than Wireless Router Mode the RT-AC68U is using a different IP address than the default, or is blocking access to it's GUI entirely.
Hi bennor,
Bingo... I'm in..!!
Thank You :)
Hard reset worked. It's configured as Access Point. Seems to be all up and running ok now.

Hmm... that was too quick.
I'd had the AC68U next to the table I'm working on so I could get to it easily. Powered it off to put it back where it's usually kept.
Connected back up, powered on => Wireless and ethernet connections to internet through it are working fine, but I can't get access to the login page again...

If I reset again, and can get back into the login... Are there any reasons not to reverse the firmware update, taking the router back to 386.5_2...?
Are there any changes in 386.7_2 that could possibly be causing this..?

Oh, yes, Asus Discovery finds the router and I know the IP address: it's 192.168.0.39
Router won't allow connection from within Asus Discovery either

Oh, yes, Asus Discovery finds the router and I know the IP address: it's 192.168.0.39
How can you be sure that that's the router IP address?

Is your computer also in the 192.168.0.x IP address range?
Are the wired and wireless devices connected to the RT-AC68U or to the Fritz!Box 7590?
Is the RT-AC68U's WAN port connected to one of the Fritz!Box 7590's four LAN ports?

Is your computer also in the 192.168.0.x IP address range?
Are the wired and wireless devices connected to the RT-AC68U or to the Fritz!Box 7590?
Is the RT-AC68U's WAN port connected to one of the Fritz!Box 7590's four LAN ports?
Yes, computer is on 192.168.0.xx
At present, only the AC68U and another Access Point are connected wired to Fritz!Box LAN ports (AC68U WAN is connected to Fritz!Box LAN).
The AC68U Access Point is providing wireless 2.4G and 5G networks, which some devices are connected to; others are connected to 2.4G or 5G wireless networks direct from the Fritz!Box

Do you change anything here:

1660508861647.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!