What's new

RT AC68U - Bricked with only USB led on

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

starry_air

New Around Here
I bought a new RT AC68U and could never get it stable - it would become inaccessible and unresponsive after about 5 minutes of operation (I was using it in AP mode - I couldn't enter the settings page or connect to WiFi). The only thing I did was an OTA firmware upgrade to the latest version of the official firmware. And then it stopped working altogether. So I tried the recovery mode and was able to initiate it once - the power led started blinking slowly. But it wasn't accessible through either the recovery software or 192.168.1.1. I did follow the guidelines and set a static ip address beforehand. And now I cannot even get into the recovery mode, and the only thing that happens when I turn it on, with or without holding the reset button, is the USB led turns on and the ethernet port led does too if a cable is connected. I think I can return it, but obviously I'd rather just get it to work. Do you have any suggestions?

Welcome to the forums @starry_air.

Exchange it while you can. This one looks like it has inherent hardware issues.

You can try the following suggestions, but I would return if I had the chance.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Those are symptoms of a corrupt CFE. It can't boot from the bootloader. Could be caused by a hardware failure or maybe you tried flashing a bad CFE. If it can be fixed (big IF), it would require opening the case - which would void any warranty. Return it while you can.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!