What's new

RT-AC68U dual WAN, split WANs to 2.4 / 5 GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marvin A

Occasional Visitor
I have the RT-AC68U set up with dual WAN (ADSL + 4G dongle) in failover mode. Works just fine.

I also have set up two wireless networks, one for 2.4 GHz and one for 5 GHz.

Is there any way to configure the router so both WANs are always in use, one for 2.4 GHz and the other for 5 GHz?

I'm primarly asking this because it takes up to 2-3 minutes for the backup 4G connection to kick in when the primary ADSL fails. I always use 5 GHz by default, but if I could split up the WANs, instead of waiting for the backup 4G to kick in, I could have it running 24/7 on the 2.4 GHz band and simply switch to 2.4 GHz as soon as the primary WAN fails.

Couldn't figure out a way to do it, so I bought a cheap second router to use with 3G/4G only on the 2.4GHz band, while the RT-AC68U uses 5GHz only.

Probably the easiest, cheapest and the least buggy way to do it. ;)

Keep your current setup but also run an Ethernet cable from the cheap second router LAN port to the selected fail-over port on the ac68u and now you will not only have separate wireless for the 2.4Ghz wireless from the 3G/4G WAN Internet source... but you will have 5Ghz for your primary internet ADSL WAN source and you will also continue to have the 3G/4G secondary internet source for fail-over on the ac86u running 5Ghz (via the cheap secondary router) . The best of all worlds setup. :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!