What's new

RT AC68U Firmware update issue. Just asks to log in and nothing changes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fix3r

New Around Here
Hi, Trying to update firmware of this router, I tried automatic update through the GUI, but It doesn't work. Same for manual by downloading the latest firmware on the ASUS website. It just says "wait applying settings" (paraphrase) and then asks me to log in again. It then ceases to detect internet access, I can manipulate the ASUS router GUI though, but I have to manually restart the router turn off and turn on for it to start detecting the internet connection again.

3.0.0.4.380_3831-g93dfe8c -> 3.0.0.4_385_20633-g593a8ef is what I'm trying to do.

I tried the oldest available and the latest update (manually) but it makes no difference, it shortly says that it's applying the settings, no progress bar, tried with browser extensions disabled, and then just asks me to log in again into the router interface.

EDIT#1

I did a ipconfig release and renew, now it no longer says Internet status:
Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly and then Disconnected. However it still just says "please wait, applying settings" in an asymmetrically placed black box with white text, no progress bar, and then just asks me to log in again but nothing changes.

E#2

The ipconfig release, renew worked once but now when I tried it again it simply says: No operation can be performed on Wi-Fi while it has its media disconnected.

It seems I can click around to some places in the GUI but I can't really change anything, whenever I try to change something or for example click on one of my SSIDs in the GUI and then on the "other/2nd" ssid tab on the right side in the GUI, it throws me a login screen.

Last edited:
Try removing any USB devices and rebooting before attempting the update.

Is your router a genuine Asus branded model or is it a CellSpot version?

Try removing any USB devices and rebooting before attempting the update.

Is your router a genuine Asus branded model or is it a CellSpot version?

Non cellspot. No usb devices are attached to it.

Solved by using Ungoogled chromium, but could use most naked browser probably. Addons disabled is not enough.

Last edited:
Try it from a different browser and/or PC.

EDIT: If that fails use Rescue Mode to upload the firmware.

Man I thought about this in the beginning, but decided to pocket the idea for some reason to try other things first and then got tunnel vision and started "looking for my keys" only where the light was. Different browser worked, I'm not sure what the issue is and I would like to know for sure, I am using some security/privacy hardened settings, maybe someone knows which browser settings would have such an impact in FF?

Thanks

P.S. Are there some compelling reasons to use a custom firmware on this router? Like Tomato, ddwrt, openddwrt? Are the custom ones better in terms of privacy and security?

Also, why are you using older update and have over clocked router? Is this something I should do I wonder?

P.S. Are there some compelling reasons to use a custom firmware on this router? Like Tomato, ddwrt, openddwrt? Are the custom ones better in terms of privacy and security?
Not really unless you have a specific need that isn't met by the OEM firmware. I use Merlin's firmware because it's the same as OEM but adds more features, like user scripts. But unless you're a geek there's probably nothing to be gained. (Don't use DD-WRT ;) )

Also, why are you using older update and have over clocked router? Is this something I should do I wonder?
I overclocked my CPU because a) I could, and b) it increased the router throughput when using Traditional QoS. Overclocking is no longer possible on current OEM and Merlin firmware.

I use John's fork of Merlin's firmware. It is based on an older codebase but is actively maintained and kept updated. So while the version number might look like it's old it actually isn't. I just prefer the UI and don't have any need for the features (like AiProtection) that were subsequently added to OEM/Merlin.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!