What's new

Release RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.43129

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PSA:

With this version, the following changes were made to the UI based on my bug reports:
  • Login name and password length can now be 32 characters.
  • Login name can now start with a number.
  • No longer get an error if you use a dash in the login name or start login name with a number during Quick Internet Setup when you apply settings in the Administration > System tab.
  • Login name error message now consistent during Quick Internet Setup and Administration > System tab.
Still outstanding bugs/issues that I reported again:
  • The default USA and Canada for "DST time zone changes ends" for the various time zones (Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific, Alaska) should be:
    11 month, 1st Sun Week & Day, 2 hours
  • Both the Quick Internet Setup and the Administration > System password user interface should only allow the user to type 32 characters for the new password and the UI should give the password length error when they attempt to type the 33rd character verses getting the password length error only when they click the next/apply button.

Does Merlin version of the firmware fix the vulnerability that was fix on version 9.0.0.4.386.41994
All the dnsmasq issues were fixed months ago with the 386.1 release back in January.

Code:
  - UPDATED: dnsmasq to 2.84, resolving CVE-2020-25681,
             CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687,
             CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685 and
             CVE-2020-25686 aka DNSpooq  (themiron)

@RMerlin does this new version share the same GPL with your latest build?

In the AC66U_B1 I just noticed something new. In Administration/Firmware Upgrade there is an Auto Firmware Upgrade slider. A choice to auto upgrade or not!
Should also be in this for the AC68U.

Dirty upgrade from current Merlin to test Mesh stability.

Dirty upgrade from current Merlin to test Mesh stability.
Going from Merlin to Asus factory you need to do a hard reset or reset and initialize then manually configure. Same going from Asus to Merlin. This is not optional unless you want to create problems for yourself.

Going from Merlin to Asus factory you need to do a hard reset or reset and initialize then manually configure. Same going from Asus to Merlin. This is not optional unless you want to create problems for yourself.
Will run for a while see if any probs then factory reset and intialise. So far so good.

Does anybody experience issues with local DNS server in WAN settings with this version? Dealing with some weird new issue here.

I have pihole configured as DNS for LAN (DHCP) & WAN and this configuration was working throughout all versions of the past (Stock and Merlin). The router does seem to not accept it in 386.43129.
As soon as I configure WAN DNS-Server 1 to be my local DNS server (192.168.1.5), WAN show as offline and I cannot even ping the IP from the router anymore. If I configure a public DNS I can ping my local server again - which is then not in use.
For LAN DHCP it accepts the local DNS and I can see incoming requests on pihole.

Last edited:
tried twice from the router update page, it goes through the motions of updating but it stays on 3.0.0.4.385_20633 when the updater is offering 3.0.0.4.386_43129.
Same Problem can't update from GUI. Current version is 3.0.0.4.386.41634. Not doing a manual flash at this point. I opened a ticket with Asus. I'll wait. :cool:

RE: The new firmware 3.0.0.4.386.43129 for the RT-AC68U will NOT install using the GUI in the router.
Update via the Router GUI appears to install and the router reboots, but the firmware version in the router stays the same! Firmware will NOT install using Router GUI.

Last edited:
Does anybody experience issues with local DNS server in WAN settings with this version?

Read here:

Read the changelog, I always document the GPL version with each release.
Yep, you do, but not asus.. unless the suffix number 43129 is the GPL. Thanks

Does anybody experience issues with local DNS server in WAN settings with this version? Dealing with some weird new issue here.

I have pihole configured as DNS for LAN (DHCP) & WAN and this configuration was working throughout all versions of the past (Stock and Merlin). The router does seem to not accept it in 386.43129.
As soon as I configure WAN DNS-Server 1 to be my local DNS server (192.168.1.5), WAN show as offline and I cannot even ping the IP from the router anymore. If I configure a public DNS I can ping my local server again - which is then not in use.
For LAN DHCP it accepts the local DNS and I can see incoming requests on pihole.
WAN/DNS Server 1 and 2 need to be the IP address of upstream resolvers. The Pi-Hole IP goes in LAN/DHCP Server/DNS Server. Or you can manually assign an IP address and include the Pi-Hole address in DNS Server

Same Problem can't update from GUI. Current version is 3.0.0.4.386.41634. Not doing a manual flash at this point. I opened a ticket with Asus. I'll wait. :cool:

RE: The new firmware 3.0.0.4.386.43129 for the RT-AC68U will NOT install using the GUI in the router.
Update via the Router GUI appears to install and the router reboots, but the firmware version in the router stays the same! Firmware will NOT install using Router GUI.
Same here. Is the manual flash completed by uploading the new firmware through GUI or ssh/ftp to the platform.