What's new

Release RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.43129

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There are several people who posted (including me) with the same problem. At least one couldn't even update manually. There is obviously an issue with the firmware which is a new format (twice the size). I created a support ticket with Asus. The more that do the better - See: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-firmware-version-3-0-0-4-386-43129.72638/post-690649

I just tried a manual update and it worked. didn't try the gui a second time to see if it'll work or not.

I am trying the Nuke reset and re-config on both main and node. See if mesh settles down.

why would they refresh the AC68U at this point.
Because the last firmware before 3.0.0.4.386.43129 was listed as a "Beta Version" firmware, listed as a "quick fix"? See:
1622123491631.png

Therefore, 3.0.0.4.386.43129 is the first "release" firmware fixing the vulnerabilities listed.

Because the last firmware before 3.0.0.4.386.43129 was listed as a "Beta Version" firmware, listed as a "quick fix"? See:
View attachment 34079
Therefore, 3.0.0.4.386.43129 is the first "release" firmware fixing the vulnerabilities listed.

They are talking about a hardware refresh not a software update.

He is talking about RT-AC68U V4 as it's a new version of an old hardware. Wonder why ASUS is resurrecting an old device?

Do they like it so much that they cannot come up with a new name? lol.

I think it retains the settings but I did a hard reset (WPS procedure) after flashing it as I wanted to configure it fresh. Since I have a script to setup some of the settings, the upgrade process took about 15 - 20 minutes for me.
How do you script the commands to perform the setup changes to the settings and how do you run the script to the router?

Do you first perform Quick Internet Setup and then run the script to customize the settings?

How do you script the commands to perform the setup changes to the settings and how do you run the script to the router?

Do you first perform Quick Internet Setup and then run the script to customize the settings?
Yes, quick internet setup and in the admin page, I enable SSH and log into the router. I create a file, /jffs/asus.sh, and copy/paste the contents of the script and run it. Sometimes, I SCP the script as well.

I setup basic LAN IP and few other things on the GUI and run the script for the dhcp static/client list as I give unique IPs for about 30 devices. It's something like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

nvram set dhcp_staticlist=""
nvram set custom_clientlist=""
nvram set wan0_dns="8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
nvram commit

Wonder why ASUS is resurrecting an old device?

They are not resurrecting it, it`s still AFAIK one of their best sellers and very much alive. Personally I go with the RT-AC66U_B1 for all my customers who need a basic router with VPN support.

View attachment 34079

Update =/= Refresh

They are not resurrecting it, it`s still AFAIK one of their best sellers and very much alive. Personally I go with the RT-AC66U_B1 for all my customers who need a basic router with VPN support.

Why refresh the hardware though?

Update =/= Refresh

Sorry @Squall Leonhart for misunderstanding you, I thought you were talking about the firmware. Also thank you @RainGater96 for setting me straight.

As @RMerlin wrote, the RT-AC68 is still one of their most popular devices. My guess for why they are coming out with a Version 4 (presumably based on new hardware) would be so that they can take advantage of newer and/or cheaper hardware components that provide the same functionality of the original RT-AC68 but does require different firmware.

Many reasons why a manufacturer might want to refresh hardware of an existing product:

- Cost reduction
- Part availability
- Upgrading certain parts to more performant ones at the same price point

Asus replied to my ticket about not being able to flash this new bios via the GUI. They said use the manual upgrade method by downloading the firmware from their website using a web browser (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1010600). If that fails, they said reset the router to defaults and try again. If that fails, they said use the rescue mode firmware restoration method (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/).

If this issue is as common as I think it is, many home users will never update their RT-AC68U. Not good Asus.

If this issue is as common as I think it is, many home users will never update their RT-AC68U. Not good Asus.
Wow, what an epic fail from the ASUS QA team that they don't even test it on an existing firmware to see whether they can even upgrade it! Unbelievable!

I could only upgrade it using the rescue method. Like you said, most of the home users are never going to bother taking the rescue method install route as it's not an easy process!

Hopefully, they fix it for the next release as I don't like fiddling with the reset button as I feel that I might break it when I keep pressing it. lol.

Did others notice the new Auto Firmware Upgrade option?

1622267566330.png

If set to ON you get this:
1622267683779.png

Basically I think Auto upgrade is the only right way for consumer products, but only if the Auto upgrade always works very reliable.
Some years ago Linksys introduced Auto upgrade and managed to break numerous routers after one famous upgrade.

Last edited:
So i gave in and did the manual update, after reboot the router page didn't come up, so powered off/on and it still didn't come up but had networking, router page eventually resolved itself after a minute or so.

I think that has been noted with the 386 series updates. It can take awhile for the GUI to work while it's doing a ton of background stuff to finish updating tables and other items.

I think that has been noted with the 386 series updates. It can take awhile for the GUI to work while it's doing a ton of background stuff to finish updating tables and other items.
I upgraded a mesh system (AC66U_B1 + 2 AC68U's) the other night and all went well. Then I rebooted the node connected via Ethernet Backhaul. Took that node 3+ hours to show up in the mesh topology. But, it did come up and is working well.