What's new

RT-AC68U keeps "restarting" since updating to newest merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ZenitH-AT

Occasional Visitor
Every couple dozen minutes all the lights on my router turn on then all go off briefly, then the router is unusable for something like 10 minutes. Do I need to reset?

When something goes wrong after a flash, yes it is always the first thing to do. Dont import old settings, reconfig from beginning

I couldn't get back into the router so I have tried resetting nvram with the wps button and then performing a reset and installing the firmware with the restoration tool.

Now it says "Successfully recovered the system. Please wait for the system to reboot". However, it never did reboot and the LAN link seems to drop every couple of seconds. Is this normal, or is the router faulty? How long am I supposed to wait?

EDIT: When recovering the router after uploading the firmware file, it stalled at 1% then jumped to complete.

Last edited:
Is this a converted TM-AC1900?

Well I rebooted it on my own and I can't connect to the web GUI with 192.168.1.1 (both using a static IP and DHCP).

I can connect to the CFE mini server if the router is put into recovery mode though.

Last edited:
try power cycle by powering off for 30 sec, and perform nvram reset with wps after the power cycle.

I would also try to load stock firmware to see if samething happening.
sometimes it will be easier to identify issue that way.

if samething happening, could be hardware failure and might need to RMA for it.

Last edited:
Tried another clear nvram and recovery, waited 2 hr, cleared nvram again. Got into the router this time and even got internet, but sadly after a restart it died on me again. Should I just get it replaced?

Tried another clear nvram and recovery, waited 2 hr, cleared nvram again. Got into the router this time and even got internet, but sadly after a restart it died on me again. Should I just get it replaced?
peronally, i dont have issue with merlin's firmware on my 68u, so I think you should get RMA as it's most likely an hardware issue.

but ya you def wanna try power cycle and load the stock firmware as Asus might ask you to provide logs and have further step on troubleshooting before RMA.

Two hours later and probably over 50 restarts in the last 48 hours. What throws me off is that I was actually able to get into the web GUI and run the network setup once. Got everyone's hopes up too.

Is there something I'm missing or not understanding? I don't see how I am performing the same procedure multiple times but somehow found success that one time.

Going to try replace the thing before we get too far into August if this thing can't get unbricked. Really hope I figure out the trick some time.

STEP #1: Flash Stock Firmware

Unplug
any USB drive First!

01. Perform a Factory reset on the router with the WPS method:
  • Turn off the router, press the WPS button without releasing it, then turn on the router, Wait about 20 seconds, then release the WPS button.
02. Download and Install Firmware Restoration and Device Discovery:
03. Download and Unzip on the desktop the Official Firmware:
04. Add a Static IP in the Computer:
  • IP address: 192.168.1.5
  • Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
05. Turn off the router.
06. Connect the Router to the Computer via Ethernet Cable.
07. [OPTIONAL] Open command prompt (CMD) and write "ping -t 192.168.1.1" and press Enter.
08. Use Rescue mode in the Router:
  • Press the Reset button without releasing it and Turn on the router about 10 seconds, then release the Reset button. (If the power is flashing-slow, the router is on rescue mode)
09. Open the program Firmware Restoration, click on Browse and found the Official Firmware.
10. After click on Upload.
11. Wait 5 minutes to assure flash integrity.
12. After in the Browser write "192.168.1.1".
13. If you can not log in to Web GUI, then reset NVRAM with WPS method:
  • Turn off the router, press the WPS button without releasing it, then turn on the router, Wait about 20 seconds, then release the WPS button.
14. Remove the Static IP in the Computer.
15. Perform Factory default Initialize:
  • Administration -> Restore/Save/Upload Setting -> Click in Initialize
16. After the factory reset, log in to the Web GUI, press Ctrl+F5 to reload the cache.
17. [OTHER] Download CCleaner to clear the entire Browser Cache. (EZPZ)

This method works for all the routers.

STEP #2: Flash Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware

Here is my method for the extra cautious and definitely for people with odd problems that others are not seeing.

Unplug any USB drive First!

01. You have to do a factory reset before flashing the firmware:
02. After the factory reset, Perform a Complete Power Cycle:
  1. Turn off router
  2. Unplug power
  3. Turn it back on for 5 second to drain any residual electric charge
  4. Turn it back off
  5. Plug back the power
  6. Turn it on and let it boot normally
03. Download, Unzip and Flash through the Web GUI the Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware:
04. After flash the firmware, Perform another Factory reset:
05. After the factory reset, Perform a Complete Power Cycle:
  1. Turn off router
  2. Unplug power
  3. Turn it back on for 5 second to drain any residual electric charge
  4. Turn it back off
  5. Plug back the power
  6. Turn it on and let it boot normally
06. After the Power Cycle, log in to the Web GUI, press Ctrl+F5 to reload the cache.
07. [IMPORTANT] Format JFFS partition:
  • Administration -> System -> Format JFFS partition at next boot -> YES -> Apply and Reboot
  • (You have to Apply before Reboot the router)
08. Do not use backup.
09. Setup the router the way you want.
10. [OTHER] Download CCleaner to clear the entire Browser Cache. (EZPZ)

And let me state the obvious... always upgrade over a wired connection and never over wireless.

Last edited:
I tired the above steps to the letter, which I'm certain was mostly the same thing I was doing before (although I had a different firmware restoration tool previously).

So I tried this over and over with every firmware multiple times. Eventually, the WiFi lights turned on, which they did when I got it working for a few minutes yesterday.

However, this time I couldn't get into the web GUI. After a restart the WiFi lights never turned on again (maybe it died again right after the WiFi lights turned and they didn't turn off). At this point I'm sure there must be an actual physical issue with the device.

Still, thanks for your help. That is by far the most detailed guide that I've seen for this issue.

Oh my god. I was wondering why every few firmware flashes it decided to show wifi lights and other times it didnt. I just changed the power supply out, and mow it works :)

thanks for all the help guys. Will keep you updated if my situation changes. Was literally writing an email to my supplier to ger a replacement.

I hope that this thread will be of some use to people in the future!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!