What's new

RT-AC68U no working OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DutchMike

Occasional Visitor
My kid thought it was funny to disable WiFi, but instead of pulling the power cord, she pressed the reset button and held it... After having a good laugh -not- I got stuck with a rather strange problem;

Adding the devices back was done in a jiffy, but I cannot get the VPN to work again. What ever I do, I get the same error over and over again.
TLS Auth Error: --client-config-dir authentication failed for common name 'client' file='ccd/client'

There is nothing changed on the Router, except that it had a factory reset by my kid. In August I updated to the latest firmware and rebooted without a glitch and kept working till yesterday. The settings I used before, are not working anymore and all produce the error above. Even when I start from scratch and let every setting at default; I still get this error in the logging.
I'm running 384.19 for a while now and basic openVPN (iPhone and laptop connect to router from elsewhere) was never a problem, until now.

I've searched for 2 days now and I only found some suggestions to ssh to the router and add/change stuff... That shouldn't be nessecary, would it?
Anyone any idea how this problem can arise like this? and better: Is there a solution?

My kid thought it was funny to disable WiFi, but instead of pulling the power cord, she pressed the reset button and held it... After having a good laugh -not- I got stuck with a rather strange problem;

Adding the devices back was done in a jiffy, but I cannot get the VPN to work again. What ever I do, I get the same error over and over again.
TLS Auth Error: --client-config-dir authentication failed for common name 'client' file='ccd/client'

There is nothing changed on the Router, except that it had a factory reset by my kid. In August I updated to the latest firmware and rebooted without a glitch and kept working till yesterday. The settings I used before, are not working anymore and all produce the error above. Even when I start from scratch and let every setting at default; I still get this error in the logging.
I'm running 384.19 for a while now and basic openVPN (iPhone and laptop connect to router from elsewhere) was never a problem, until now.

I've searched for 2 days now and I only found some suggestions to ssh to the router and add/change stuff... That shouldn't be nessecary, would it?
Anyone any idea how this problem can arise like this? and better: Is there a solution?
With a factory reset you will need to Export OpenVPN configuration file for the "new" configuration. The old config file will not work.

With a factory reset you will need to Export OpenVPN configuration file for the "new" configuration. The old config file will not work.
Good point, but I actually did generated the new ovpn-file and certificates for every new configuration I made and loaded it into the device I was connecting with.

Solved... by stupid me self... In my effort to solve the problem asap I misread the config document I made and checked yes at "Allow only specified clients" in the advanced setting instead of no... With no entries in the "Allowed Clients" section, there is no valid connection possible. Checking No solved the problem.
With everything working again, I'm going to sit in a corner and feel ashamed.