What's new

RT-AC68U / RT-AC68P / RT-AC1900 / RT-AC1900P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Back to the basics:
Guideline in case of unexplained router behavior:
  1. If there are, disconnect all USB devices.
  2. Install the latest available firmware version.
  3. Reset to factory defaults.
  4. Do not load an old configuration backup file.
  5. Manual configure the router with the bare minimum, as:
    • Router Login Name.
    • Router Login Password.
    • WAN Connection Type, and what is required to connect to the Internet.
    • Wireless SSID's and WPA Pre-Shared Key's.
    • Leave everything else default.
  6. Test the router behavior:
    1. Test with a wired connection first.
    2. Test with a wireless connection.
  7. After the above works all well you can consider more manual router configuration changes.
Notes to the above guideline:
  • Restoring a configuration backup might bring back old issues, that is why the manual configuration is advised.
  • While making configuration changes: write them down so you do have a list of changes you made from factory defaults.
  • Whenever you restore a configuration backup: only restore the backup to exactly the same firmware branch and version as it was made with.
Then specially for the RT-AC68U I experienced those setting are best:
  • Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 2.4 GHz:
    • Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 7 (802.11n)
    • Airtime Fairness: Disable
    • Explicit Beamforming: Disable
    • Universal Beamforming: Disable
  • Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 5 GHz:
I followed your guide but I still have speed issues with my AC68 as a media bridge on Asus official fw. I only get 25/20 Mbps when I connect to AC68 by wire whereas my internet speed is 300/20
Do I need to do the items below before switching AC68 into media bridge mode?

Then specially for the RT-AC68U I experienced those setting are best:

Last edited:
The Media Bridge setup does not give you many wireless settings, you can only specify the SSID of the router you want to connect to.
What firmware is in the router and in the media bridge?

These settings are for the RT-AC68U Router:
1675017564182.png

In the Media Bridge make these settings:
1675017608657.png

My main router is a Asus ax3000 running merlin's latest. The AC68 is running stock as of right now. The only way I was able to get full speed via media bridge-connected devices was to run John's fork based on older version of merlin's fw.

I can imagine you run in a conflict between the AX and AC based routers.
Do you connect the Media Bridge at 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

I can imagine you run in a conflict between the AX and AC based routers.
Do you connect the Media Bridge at 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?
I use 5 Ghz but I this is the issue with asus fw base change. John's fork is based on 385 and the new base is 386. I have tried too many things but none of them work. I thought I would give it another try. Oh well.

John's fork is based on 385

John's fork was based (no update for >1 year) on much older 374 base.

John's fork was based (no update for >1 year) on much older 374 base.

You are right. It was based on an even earlier baseline. My mistake.

It's cheap, but has much newer and better AC radio with MU-MIMO. There is one RT-AC65P with AC Wave 2 radio with MU-MIMO, also MediaTek. I don't know how Asus versions perform, but other routers based on the same SoC trash some higher-end Asus routers in range and speed to single client.

It's cheap, but has much newer and better AC radio with MU-MIMO. There is one RT-AC65P with AC Wave 2 radio with MU-MIMO, also MediaTek. I don't know how Asus versions perform, but other routers based on the same SoC trash some higher-end Asus routers in range and speed to single client.
For $60 and currently supported with FW probably a good replacement for the n66u AP in my garage.

But it is an ac1900 though correct??

Yes, similar to even cheaper and excellent range TP-Link Archer C80. The same MediaTek MT7762N AC Wave 2 + MU-MIMO. TP-Link even goes a step further with very good quality printed PCB antennas. Basic firmware, but with what's needed for a basic router + Access Point mode.

RT-AC67P added in the table of the first post.

The three last ones (AC86U, AC67P, AX86U) are completely unrelated to AC68U hardware. They don't belong to this list. If you want to compare/include the plastic shape similarities - AC65P is also very similar design, but also unrelated:

The one you are missing is RT-AC67U model sold in some countries as 2-pack "mesh" system. It's rebranded RT-AC66U B1 model.

You're also missing DSL-AC68U and 4G-AC68U models.

The three last ones (AC86U, AC67P, AX86U) are completely unrelated to AC68U hardware. They don't belong to this list. If you want to compare/include the plastic shape similarities - AC65P is also very similar design, but also unrelated:

The one you are missing is RT-AC67U model sold in some countries as 2-pack "mesh" system. It's rebranded RT-AC66U B1 model.

You're also missing DSL-AC68U and 4G-AC68U models.

Ya. I guess it depends if it’s an AC68 router thread or an AC1900 thread?

The main goal was to focus on the RT-AC68U router and it's variants.
Gradually lookalikes and re-packed versions where added because they raise questions anyway.
ASUS makes life hard for this thread with the endless number of router types and variants, I figured long ago it is impossible to make this a flawless thread.
The hardcore basics are: RT-AC68U | RT-AC66U B1 | RT-AC1900U.
I updated the first post "back to basics".

Last edited:
I see an error:

1676127347453.png

RT-AC66U B1, also known as RT-AC1750 B1 or RT-AC67U - it is AiMesh compatible. It's even sold in pairs as a mesh kit in some places. See above.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!