What's new

RT-AC68U / RT-AC68P / RT-AC1900 / RT-AC1900P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BTW, the RT-AC66U_B1 could be added to this table. It's effectively an RT-AC68U, with a BCM4709C0, and the whole TrendMicro suite of features. The router in facts directly uses the RT-AC68U firmware, like all the variants listed here.

Reactions: RTN
BTW, the RT-AC66U_B1 could be added to this table. It's effectively an RT-AC68U, with a BCM4709C0, and the whole TrendMicro suite of features. The router in facts directly uses the RT-AC68U firmware, like all the variants listed here.

Yeah... toss in the RT-AC1750 (BestBuy) which I think is another RT-AC66x variant...though not able to find a lot on it.. just saw it sitting on the shelves yesterday.

Yeah... toss in the RT-AC1750 (BestBuy) which I think is another RT-AC66x variant...though not able to find a lot on it.. just saw it sitting on the shelves yesterday.

RT-AC1750 is the exact same thing as the RT-AC66U_B1. Same FCC ID, etc...

BCM4709A0 is fine, it's the C0 revision that requires a newer SDK.

OK. THANK so much for the replies!

Now here's the rub in the RT-AC68x/AC1900 matrix mess. I went last night to a major giant retailer b/c they had the Asus RT-AC1900 (no P) in stock. I picked up the box and checked the rev level level and it says rev "C1" . So I go WTH b/c if we believe this reference, which says the RT-AC1900 has the BCM4709A0 CPU, then this router might be OK with Tomato.

1. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC1900 says "CPU1: Broadcom BCM4709A0 (1 GHz, 2 cores)" FCCID: MSQ-RTACHC00 Arcadyan WG9117A AC33 1-ASU
2. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC1900P says "CPU1: Broadcom BCM4709C0 (1.4 GHz, 2 cores)" FCCID: MSQ-RTACHC00 Arcadyan WG9117G AC2 -ASU
3. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC68P (V2) says "CPU1: Broadcom BCM4709A0 (1 GHz, 2 cores)" FCCID: MSQ-RTAC68UV2 Arcadyan WG9117E AC33 (1-ASU)
4. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC68U says "CPU1: Broadcom BCM4708A0 (800 MHz, 2 cores)" FCCID: MSQ-RTAC68U Askey
5. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC68R redirects us back to # 4 above.

We know that RT-AC68U/C1 versions are not supported so are those really RT-AC1900 relabeled? ...but maybe with a different FCCID which I did not find. So maybe it is either the CPU BCM4709C0 and/or the assembly boards from this maker (Arcadyan WG9117A AC33 1-ASU) ? Or maybe it's only the R/V2 as noted in another part of the page or maybe the AC-1900 "C1" is not the same as the unsupported AC-68x C1?

I D K anymore. We know # 2 does not work. But then # 1 and #3 boards are very very close revs (WG9117A vs WG9117E) compared to #2. We know 3, 4, 5 work with Tomato as long as it is NOT rev "C1" ...so maybe is the AC-68U/C1 = AC-1900/C1 only...with a different labeling but using maybe the same board ID which I cannot find in that wiki.

UNCLE, UNCLE, UNCLE.

What I wanted was to upgrade my family's RT-N66U to RT-AC68P class (1Ghz) which I could load Tomato on in confidence. Instead our entire Asus community is spending a loads of time (as have many others from the postings I've found) hashing out the quagmire around this router's many variants. I am frustrated as hell and still not upgraded.

Maybe I should just go, buy the AC-1900/C1 router. Attempt to flash it, if not, restore and return it. I've googled my butt off and there are no clear answers I can find. THIS thread is the closest I've come. Or maybe I should try to find an AC-68P|U on Ebay or other retailer and hope I do not get a "C1"?

Comments?
Thanks, G. Mobley

Last edited:
This thread got quiet! OK I thought about this a bit more. Could the "C1" versioning also be when ASUS introduced the "locked" CFE versions to thwart owners from backflashing the routers? If true, does this mean we will also have to replace the CFE with the older versions like is done when returning the locked T-Mobile TA-AC1900 units to the default "RT-AC68" units to ever run Tomato?
So maybe this is also in the mix?
I also read I think in a shibby thread that there is a new SDK with the new C0 chips which is why there's no Tomato yet too?
Thanks, G. Mobley

This thread got quiet! OK I thought about this a bit more. Could the "C1" versioning also be when ASUS introduced the "locked" CFE versions to thwart owners from backflashing the routers? If true, does this mean we will also have to replace the CFE with the older versions like is done when returning the locked T-Mobile TA-AC1900 units to the default "RT-AC68" units to ever run Tomato?
So maybe this is also in the mix?
I also read I think in a shibby thread that there is a new SDK with the new C0 chips which is why there's no Tomato yet too?
Thanks, G. Mobley
I am lost for what you are looking for.

I wanted to clarify if we understood why the RT-AC1900 (C1) and RT-AC1900P (V3) does not currently work with Tomato. Based on earlier discussions, with the A0 CPU in the RT-AC1900 (1.0GHz) maybe should work while the C0 CPU (RT-AC1900P 1.4GHz) should not.

Since the RT-AC1900 box labels I've picked up shows "C1" versions but with the A0 CPU, do they fall into the same catetory as the RT-AC68 / C1 - unsupported? Has anyone actually tried to load this version with Tomato? Does the C1 version indicate the CFE is locked and/or that a new SDK s used.?

Bottom line, I wanted to buy a new RT-AC1900 (P or no P) and load Tomato but no one seems to know for sure whether this will work. My other option is to move to a NetGear supported version. I'd also like to know if the latest C1 revs of either the RT-AC68 or RT-AC1900 will ever be supported.

I found this discussion about another version of the RT-AC68/1900 but it's a totally different brand, Tenda. Toastman has a working build for it.
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/tenda-ac15-ac1900-tomato-firmware-support.71709/page-2

It now seems easier to find a used RT-AC68 / version, which we know is supported by Tomato today and stop wasting our time searching for solutions. All I'm seeing on the shelves at the major retailers today are these the newest ASUS RT-AC1900 (no P and P). So no Tomato on those until someone figures out otherwise.

Thanks. G. Mobley

Last edited:
I wanted to clarify if we understood why the RT-AC1900 (C1) and RT-AC1900P (V3) does not currently work with Tomato. Based on earlier discussions, with the A0 CPU in the RT-AC1900 (1.0GHz) maybe should work while the C0 CPU (RT-AC1900P 1.4GHz) should not.

Since the RT-AC1900 box labels I've picked up shows "C1" versions but with the A0 CPU, do they fall into the same catetory as the RT-AC68 / C1 - unsupported? Has anyone actually tried to load this version with Tomato? Does the C1 version indicate the CFE is locked and/or that a new SDK s used.?

Bottom line, I wanted to buy a new RT-AC1900 (P or no P) and load Tomato but no one seems to know for sure whether this will work. My other option is to move to a NetGear supported version. I'd also like to know if the latest C1 revs of either the RT-AC68 or RT-AC1900 will ever be supported.

I found this discussion about another version of the RT-AC68/1900 but it's a totally different brand, Tenda. Toastman has a working build for it.
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/tenda-ac15-ac1900-tomato-firmware-support.71709/page-2

It now seems easier to find a used RT-AC68 / version, which we know is supported by Tomato today and stop wasting our time searching for solutions. All I'm seeing on the shelves at the major retailers today are these the newest ASUS RT-AC1900 (no P and P). So no Tomato on those until someone figures out otherwise.

Thanks. G. Mobley
From what I see SNB is more stock firmware related, and for Asus also Merlin related.
For Tomato support I suggest to visit http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php
Or check with the most active Tomato developpers:
Shibby: http://tomato.groov.pl/
Toastman: http://toastmanfirmware.yolasite.com/

Sorry but what is this version RT-AC68UF ?

Routeur-ASUS-RT-AC68UF-RT-AC68U.jpg

In fact I did found it in some French shops, so maybe is the "F" for France?
Proc seems to be clocked @ 1000Mhz

Last edited:
Sorry but what is this version RT-AC68UF ?
In fact I did found it in some French shops, so maybe is the "F" for France?
Proc seems to be clocked @ 1000Mhz
Did you buy this router?
How do you know 1000 MHz?
Check the sticker and info on the rear.
The photo on the front seems to say "RT-AC68U" (without F):

upload_2017-1-6_9-34-30.png

Look at the specs:

upload_2017-1-6_9-42-55.png

It says RT-AC68U.

Last edited:
I got two 1900P from Best Buy, they have different revisions. A V3 Model with an old firmware (3.0.0.4.380.1842) and a B2 Model with a newer firmware (3.0.0.4.380_3512) , I ended up getting two B2's.

I got two 1900P from Best Buy, they have different revisions. A V3 Model with an old firmware (3.0.0.4.380.1842) and a B2 Model with a newer firmware (3.0.0.4.380_3512) , I ended up getting two B2's.

Which is the newer version? V3 or B2? I saw that also when I was picking up my 1900p. I decided to grab the V3, but if the B2 is newer hardware revision, I can exchange my V3 for one.

Which is the newer version? V3 or B2? I saw that also when I was picking up my 1900p. I decided to grab the V3, but if the B2 is newer hardware revision, I can exchange my V3 for one.

I thought V3 was also newer, but when we checked the firmware on the box, we saw V3 had an older firmware on the device than B2. Unfortunately we couldn't find any information online on Asus website.

I thought V3 was also newer, but when we checked the firmware on the box, we saw V3 had an older firmware on the device than B2. Unfortunately we couldn't find any information online on Asus website.

Did you look at the date on the box for manufacturer date? Just curious.

I just picked up an RT-AC1900P yesterday and they had two V3 and two B2 - I too went with the B2 on the premise that the newer firmware 3.0.0.4.380_3512 (even though this rev isnt listed on their website) must be a newer build. I did notice the stocking label on the outside of the shrink wrap had a 12/28/16 date so I assume this is the most recent.

I just picked up an RT-AC1900P yesterday and they had two V3 and two B2 - I too went with the B2 on the premise that the newer firmware 3.0.0.4.380_3512 (even though this rev isnt listed on their website) must be a newer build. I did notice the stocking label on the outside of the shrink wrap had a 12/28/16 date so I assume this is the most recent.
Any status on this? Heading to BB end of the week to grab one of these. I'm not so worried about the firmware as I will most likely load the latest Merlin FW

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!