What's new

Release RT-AC86U 11th January 2021 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.41634

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any other bugs or issues besides the temp issue? I'm running latest .384 firmware and it has been stable now for over 82 days uptime!!!!

In the 5 GHz part of the Wireless settings I see no option to manually set channels in the 20/40/80 mode - is that by design?

In the 5 GHz part of the Wireless settings I see no option to manually set channels in the 20/40/80 mode - is that by design?

Like this?

1610475011278.png

OE

Exactly - I see only the "Auto" option and not the list of channels to select from.

I did factory reset etc after upgrade.

Any idea what might be wrong at my end?
May be easier to troubleshoot if you post a screenshot

Exactly - I see only the "Auto" option and not the list of channels to select from.

Hardware or firmware... can't fix hardware other than a power cycle, but you could try uploading the firmware again, reset it (webUI Restore w/Initialize), and configure it from scratch.

If this is a new router, then a hardware fault is a possibility.

OE

Might help to refresh the browser. SHIFT + Reload button.
After a flash from Merlin 386.1 beta 4b there were several icons on the left side of the web gui that did not load. A reload from source fixed it.

Also a report on my temp: 67C with cooling fan on low and CPU Wait On. Fan is powered from the USB 2 port. USB 3 port with a thumbdrive having a 512 swap partition and the second partition EXT4. Set up per earlier instructions.

After a flash from Merlin 386.1 beta 4b there were several icons on the left side of the web gui that did not load. A reload from source fixed it.

Also a report on my temp: 67C with cooling fan on low and CPU Wait On. Fan is powered from the USB 2 port. USB 3 port with a thumbdrive having a 512 swap partition and the second partition EXT4. Set up per earlier instructions.
So your cooling your router due to the CPU Wait On feature on and not off? Is this a bug in the .386 firmware as Im still on .384 with no CPU issues.

So you purchased router fan? think to convert some old cpu/case fan for the purpose.

So you purchased router fan? think to convert some old cpu/case fan for the purpose.
Yes, it was noted on another post: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XDGXWC3/?tag=snbforums-20
I bought the fan as I was planning to go back to the Asus firmware mainly for the auto update feature. Wanted to make sure the household kept running just-in-case I picked up the bug. I have friends that can do basic network things but Merlin is too advanced for them.
Yes, I have the wait state on as well as the fan. Swap partition, too, and Pi-Hole. Cool is good for electronics!

Hardware or firmware... can't fix hardware other than a power cycle, but you could try uploading the firmware again, reset it (webUI Restore w/Initialize), and configure it from scratch.

If this is a new router, then a hardware fault is a possibility.

OE

Thanks for the suggestions.

So I did some tests including those famous nuclear resets and found out the following:
- The AC86U behaves as expected in standalone mode, i.e. I can select 5 GHz channels in wireless settings
- Once I connect 1 or 2 AC68U in aiMesh mode the possibility to select 5 GHz channels manually is not available anymore - I only have the auto option

Thanks for the suggestions.

So I did some tests including those famous nuclear resets and found out the following:
- The AC86U behaves as expected in standalone mode, i.e. I can select 5 GHz channels in wireless settings
- Once I connect 1 or 2 AC68U in aiMesh mode the possibility to select 5 GHz channels manually is not available anymore - I only have the auto option

To connect a remote node, you should reset it and then search/add it from within the AC86U webUI. I don't understand how or why this would affect the AC86U channel setting.

OE

To connect a remote node, you should reset it and then search/add it from within the AC86U webUI. I don't understand how or why this would affect the AC86U channel setting.

OE

Thats what I did - reset of all devices with the result that manual channel setting in 5 GHz is possible (standalone setup - no aiMesh).

But after I added aiMesh nodes I could only adjust channels in 2 GHz but not in 5 GHz anymore ... by the way: the nodes are connected via Ethernet backhaul.

Perhaps a bug?

Thats what I did - reset of all devices with the result that manual channel setting in 5 GHz is possible (standalone setup - no aiMesh).

But after I added aiMesh nodes I could only adjust channels in 2 GHz but not in 5 GHz anymore ... by the way: the nodes are connected via Ethernet backhaul.

Perhaps a bug?

Yeah, that's a weird one... maybe a hardware issue(?). Me, I would flash the AC86U again, reset it, configure it from scratch, and add the reset and wireless nodes. If that works, wire them WAN to LAN and change their Connection Priority to 1G WAN first and set to Ethernet Backhaul Mode to free up all WiFi for client use.

OE

folks how do you get to see the temperature? Is this something you have to do special like or...........?
thanks

folks how do you get to see the temperature? Is this something you have to do special like or...........?
thanks

I posted earlier in this thread how to do it.

OE

I see it says using Windows 10, will it work using chromebook? #guessnot

Yeah, that's a weird one... maybe a hardware issue(?). Me, I would flash the AC86U again, reset it, configure it from scratch, and add the reset and wireless nodes. If that works, wire them WAN to LAN and change their Connection Priority to 1G WAN first and set to Ethernet Backhaul Mode to free up all WiFi for client use.

OE

I found the reason now: region setting was "China" - after changing to "Europe" it all works as expected. Problem solved - many thanks for your patients ;-)

@ASUSWRT_2020

I also forgot to mention the other day, I checked my nodes for a temperature reading, I had two nodes travelling around 86C, with the exception of one node, which was at 101C.

What has ASUS changed other than "CPU Wait", to cause such a large variation in the router temperature in this public release firmware?

With this temperature increase, which may lead/cause a total failure of a router, is/are, ASUS willing to replace the router (free of charge), because of a faulty firmware, as a result, which is causing this temperature increase?

Or, is a router running in excess of a temperature of 100c, 24/7, considered ok/safe?

Please enlighten us all, as to why, ASUS think this excessive temperature increase is considered ok/safe, by previous firmware releases for this router?

We all await your response.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!