What's new

RT-AC86U Firmware Update Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shazb0t

New Around Here
I have had my RT-AC86U running great for a couple of years now without issue. I run all my home internet traffic through it utilizing the VPN Client. I'm currently on 384.17 and I've been considering updating to the latest 386.5_2 build. I don't have a specific feature or issue related reason to update, but I am curious if there are security or efficiency benefits in doing so. Looking at the changelog between the two firmware there are a few that warn of issues specifically with the AC86U when updating regarding partitioning and the potential need for JFFS backups along with factory default resets recommended. So my question boils down to 2 main things:

Are there significant risks in updating from a fine working 384.17 to 386.5_2 which outweigh the benefits of updating to the newer firmware?
Is there a recommended way to update from 384.17 to 386.5_2? Should I use transition firmware around the 384 to 386 change, etc.?

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question and if it's potentially an annoyingly repetitive one. I imagine that there are many less seasoned networking laymen like myself whom share these fears and post for advice. Thanks for any help.

I am curious if there are security or efficiency benefits in doing so.

You are missing 2 years worth of security updates and firmware development in both Asuswrt base and Asuswrt-Merlin. The only clean way to update from such old 384 base is flashing the new 386.5_2 on top, resetting the router to factory defaults and configuring it manually. Don't use saved configuration files from 384 firmware. There is a new VPN Director section in VPN and you may need to read how to use it.

I'm currently on 384.17 and I've been considering updating to the latest 386.5_2 build. I don't have a specific feature or issue related reason to update, but I am curious if there are security or efficiency benefits in doing so.
384.17 is over two years old and based on GPL 81352. Since then there have been dozens of security fixes (I count over 40). Asus recently told all users to update to the current 386 firmware to avoid this malware: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/trend-micro-cyclops-blink-sets-sights-on-asus-routers.77953/

P.S. Questions specifically about Merlin's firmware are better asked in the dedicated Merlin sub-forum.

Oops, my mistake! Any way for me to move/delete it? I don't see either option.
You'd have to "Report" your own post and ask the admin to move it for you. Not worth doing now that you've resolved your question.

I took your guys advice and updated to the current release followed by a factory reset. Didn't run into any issues. Thanks for the help!
:)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!