What's new

RT-AC86U intermittently but constantly dropping Internet Connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In my experience 95+% of the time these issues are with the ISP...their servers or their infrastructure...including the drop to your residence. When this happens, the first thing I do is run a line monitor to try to capture the timing/frequency of the outages and the latency of the line before and after the outages. Here is a link to some very useful software: https://emcosoftware.com/ping-monitor. The paid version of the software is very good...there is a free version that is full functional for monitoring. Set it up to monitor 3 sites...I used 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1, and 9.9.9.9. After 24 hours the report can be setup to show uptime, latency, while logging the times of incidents.

When the internet is disconnected does it ever come back on its own?

I'm dealing with the same issue. However I have some additional info. I have 2 asus routers. originally it was an rt-acu66 and a rt-acu88. Both routers did/do the same thing. After about 48 hours after turning on any feature other than dns filter, or keyword/url filter each router will go into this crazy recycle mode where it will recycle itself every 5 to 10 minutes.

I tried EVERY tshoot method offered on these forums. No help. So then i did an RMA and sent asus my rt-acu88. I told them to factory reset then turn any feature(Ai PROTECTION, TRAFFIC MONITOR ETC...) then wait about 48 hours and it will start recycling which it did. They said they could not fix the issue and sent me an RT-AC5300 as a replacement.

Guess what happened after 48 hours. You got it. The RT-AC5300 does the same exact thing. I have the latest merlin running but it doesn't matter merlin no merlin, original firmware or latest release. Now that being said my ai mesh is working great with my rt-acu68 and 5300 because I'm only using DNS Filter and URL filter. But I'm missing out on all the great features of these routers.

The only thing I question is the CPU temp. On both routers the CPU is running around 140 degrees F. Can one of you check your CPU temp and tell me if that could be causing this???

Sincerely,
Frustrated Asus Customer

In my experience 95+% of the time these issues are with the ISP...their servers or their infrastructure...including the drop to your residence. When this happens, the first thing I do is run a line monitor to try to capture the timing/frequency of the outages and the latency of the line before and after the outages. Here is a link to some very useful software: https://emcosoftware.com/ping-monitor. The paid version of the software is very good...there is a free version that is full functional for monitoring. Set it up to monitor 3 sites...I used 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1, and 9.9.9.9. After 24 hours the report can be setup to show uptime, latency, while logging the times of incidents.

When the internet is disconnected does it ever come back on its own?
My modem connection doesn't seem to be involved as the routers are down when this crazy recycling starts. The wireless goes down for the whole house and I can't login to the asus router web page.

I also had several problems when I switched from official firmware and merlin. Then I did a factory reset and reconfigured everything by hand without using the backup files and everything works fine

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!