1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC86U intermittently but constantly dropping Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by jksmurf, Nov 3, 2018.

1. jksmurf

jksmurf Occasional Visitor

Cheers for the info. I used a similar service until I went back to 384.5. I need to find time to try a couple things as suggsted by others above for the 384.8alpha1 and alpha2, namely "DNS Rebind Protection" and/or "Use DNS Probes" (and reboot).

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. bearever

bearever Occasional Visitor

To me toggling DNS Rebind Protection and Use DNS Probes had no effect to this issue. I am now happily using pretty much default values for WAN option with 384.8alpha2 so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  4. jksmurf

jksmurf Occasional Visitor

Cheers; So just to be clear do you see or not see the connected Icon on the left, with the alpha2?

5. bearever

bearever Occasional Visitor

Yup I have been seeing solid connected icon with 384.8alpha2 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Netbug

Netbug Regular Contributor

On latest alpha last night i had problems connecting to any website, could not ping even though i had a WAN ip address, i could access internet via vpn client however.

Check your system log - port forwarding.

I had two port forwarding rules that was never there before, they just appeared even more weird the vpn port forward rule to forward traffic from my androud box was not showing even though i could access internet via vpn client.

After a few reboots and no success i remember just prior to that i blacklisted dns.msftncsi.com in diversion. I removed the domain from blacklist, processed blacklist in diversion then rebooted router and all came back and the two odd random routes was gone.

After a bit of googling it seems dns.msftncsi.com is used by wanduck to check for internet connectivity (Tools - Other Settings - Wan: Use DNS probes to determine if WAN is up (default: Yes)

@RMerlin @thelonelycoder tagged you both as found it odd, not sure if it normal behaviour. Since then my vpn routing rule some times vanishes and have to reboot.

All is fine now though just not sure why these rules appeared on there own, it happened few days ago to after a full factory reset and after installing diversion, skynet which i could not work out so had to do another factory reset. Nothing in system log except for 'ISP's DHCP did not function properly'.

ps. btw i was not hacked or anything incase anyone thinks that rest assured.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 2:45 AM
  7. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

Diversion has no built in way to add to the port forwarding list.

8. Netbug

Thanks for letting me know, curious to find out what added them.

9. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

Those rules are added automatically by the firmware when the WAN goes down (it puts up custom pages to tell you that you lost acesss and possible things to check - Redirect to error page setting).

Netbug likes this.
  10. Netbug

ah ok thanks that makes sense now. Cheers.

11. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Senior Member

This may be unrelated, and I’m no expert by far...

I once changed my router to dual WAN (even thou I don’t have a second internet connection via 4G or 5G).

I was my way of check to see if my isp connection goes down, while I’m not home.

I gOt home and my router was trying to access the second WAN.

So, I’m wandering if there was an instability in the first WAN.

I never did get back to check if there is an issue.

I was just curious if WAN1 goes down...

12. thelonelycoder

The Asus logic is to disconnect one perfectly working WAN and try to establish a connection to the other WAN periodically to see if it is up. It will revert to the previously connected WAN after this little adventure. Go figure.

13. EventPhotoMan

Funny thou, I don’t have a second WAN, so it was stuck on the second WAN, and never did go back to the first WAN.

It’s a project of low priority.

14. thelonelycoder

So, it seems, is it to Asus. @peraburek sure could add a few choice words here.

EventPhotoMan likes this.
  15. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

A future release from Asus will provide more control over how WAN monitoring is done (through DNS queries or pings). That feature is already present in the RT-AX88U firmware (and in my first release for that model).

That means the DNS probe tweak setting will be going away in the near future, being superseded by this new setting from upstream.

bearever, Netbug and thelonelycoder like this.
  16. EventPhotoMan

3E4C6172-C76D-4CA0-BA7A-901435D11E68.jpeg
    This is what first alerted my to the iOS connections.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!