What's new

RT-AC86U new firmware 3.0.0.4.386_44470-g53bccb8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

does anyone know if that's possible without a reset and reconfigure?

Yes, just flash it back to previous version. I've done this with Asuswrt few versions back and forth. Reset and reconfigure only if you have issues.

Hi lads it appears this is the update notes relating to this software version

1.Improved system stability.
2.Added IPv6+ in WAN-> Internet Connection.
3.Added Auto firmware upgrade in Administration-->Firwmare Upgrade
4.Fixed envrams exposed issue. Thanks for Quentin Kaiser from IoT Inspector Research Lab contribution.

yesterday I had a problem that I never had: the 5ghz network disappeared from my node (ax55), but was still present in the main ac86u. After a reboot, everything was ok but never seen this. The 2.4ghz and guest network interface were online.
so yesterday I had the same strange behaviour whereas 5ghz stopped working in the node (ax55) but was working in the main router (ac86). Even after a reboot, the same behaviour persisted. Didn't try a full reset... The ax55 is still on 3.0.0.4.386_42844, so I'm not sure if this is some sort of incompatibility between the 42844 and the 44470, or something that was introduced in the 44470. Went back to the 42643 on the ac86u and everything seems to be working fine. This same setup had been working fine since May 19 when I updated the ax55 to the 42844. Does anyone else notice an issue with nodes losing the 5ghz interface?

so yesterday I had the same strange behaviour whereas 5ghz stopped working in the node (ax55) but was working in the main router (ac86). Even after a reboot, the same behaviour persisted. Didn't try a full reset... The ax55 is still on 3.0.0.4.386_42844, so I'm not sure if this is some sort of incompatibility between the 42844 and the 44470, or something that was introduced in the 44470. Went back to the 42643 on the ac86u and everything seems to be working fine. This same setup had been working fine since May 19 when I updated the ax55 to the 42844. Does anyone else notice an issue with nodes losing the 5ghz interface?
I'm using two ac86u routers and haven't lost the 5ghz signal on the node since updating.

I'm using two ac86u routers and haven't lost the 5ghz signal on the node since updating.
maybe it's an issue with different fw being used in the node... I haven't reseted to avoid having to configure everything from scratch but maybe that's a solution.

Losing the radio broadcast is not likely a firmware conflict between two different routers, imo.

Reload the AX55 node current firmware, remove it from the AiMesh to reset it, and add it back to the AiMesh. If the issue persists, you could try reverting to a previous firmware, but I would suspect the hardware.

If you have not reset the AC86U since updating its firmware, I would do that and configure it from scratch.

OE

Last edited:
Today I update all my 3 ac86u routers (1 main 2 nodes in aimesh) with this new fw. I made a factory reset and reconfigured the system.

I have (had) temperature issues. I came from 4457 (the last fw before the one with temp issues caused by cpu wait disabled). In this new fw the cpu wait is enabled again (good) but Asus forgot to enable the Energy Efficient Ethernet. Because I use all of the Ethernet ports, it causes 10 more degrees in temperature (90 degrees with eee enabled, 100 degree in this new fw with eee disabled). This temperature is high enough to shut down the second core...

Solution: switch on eee in ssh.
(Important! Need to turn on eee on the nodes too!)

Temp immediately went down.

Downside: need to re adjust after every reboot.

Solution 2: continue to use fw 4457

Solution 3: (I also did this too): install a small usb fan at the back of the main router.

Please could someone me advise where to find this version of the firmware.

What I did:
First methode:
On this site
I can't see it.

Second methode:
And when I try to update the firmware directly via the router (check update) I get the message that I have the newest version installed (which in my case is: 9.0.0.4.386.41994).

Please could someone me advise where to find this version of the firmware.

What I did:
First methode:
On this site
I can't see it.

Second methode:
And when I try to update the firmware directly via the router (check update) I get the message that I have the newest version installed (which in my case is: 9.0.0.4.386.41994).

Beta firmware 9.* can not be updated from the webUI.

Download the latest AC86U firmware here:

RT-AC86U|WiFi Routers|ASUS USA

OE

Last edited:
Today I update all my 3 ac86u routers (1 main 2 nodes in aimesh) with this new fw. I made a factory reset and reconfigured the system.

I have (had) temperature issues. I came from 4457 (the last fw before the one with temp issues caused by cpu wait disabled). In this new fw the cpu wait is enabled again (good) but Asus forgot to enable the Energy Efficient Ethernet. Because I use all of the Ethernet ports, it causes 10 more degrees in temperature (90 degrees with eee enabled, 100 degree in this new fw with eee disabled). This temperature is high enough to shut down the second core...

Solution: switch on eee in ssh.
(Important! Need to turn on eee on the nodes too!)

Temp immediately went down.

Downside: need to re adjust after every reboot.

Solution 2: continue to use fw 4457

Solution 3: (I also did this too): install a small usb fan at the back of the main router.
I wonder why Asus did not turn on eee. For me, the difference is about 2 degrees (I only use one port).

eee off
Code:
VANT@RT-AC86U-BE80:/tmp/home/root# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp | awk {'print $1 / 1000}'

eee on
Code:
VANT@RT-AC86U-BE80:/tmp/home/root# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp | awk {'print $1 / 1000}'

I have a same node configuration, RT-AC86U as a main router and RT-AX55U as AiMesh Nodes, the problem(RT-AX55U only connected at 2.4Ghz with wireless and only reach 100mbps speed with ethernet backhaul mode) are still occurs after I done hard reset many times. Maybe this error caused from the firmware.

I have a same node configuration, RT-AC86U as a main router and RT-AX55U as AiMesh Nodes, the problem(RT-AX55U only connected at 2.4Ghz with wireless and only reach 100mbps speed with ethernet backhaul mode) are still occurs after I done hard reset many times. Maybe this error caused from the firmware.
Friday I updated the Ac86u with the new fw and rebooted the node (from Ac86u mesh interface) and it now seems to be working fine. I’ll need more testing to be sure, but it seems to be ok (cross fingers)

Why is the Source Code section missing for this model under Driver & Tools -> Others? There's only Firmware.
I thought they are legally required to provide it.
For other models I checked, they do still include the GPL code.

Could be a temporary issue with their website.
Asus providing GPL code is not gonna stop anytime soon. First reason being they are legally required to do so.

Last edited:
They don't need to provide it 'today' though.

I'm not referring necessarily to the source code for the latest version, there isn't any source code at all, even for older versions, seems odd.

Maybe they provide it via other sources?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!