What's new

rt-ac86u Updated Firmware Mar 10 2020 / Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_81352-g9910ab0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reading is fundamental...

When is the last time you reset the router to factory defaults after what firmware upgrade?

OE

don't mean to step on any toes here but i took the dive from the stable release (45717) to 81352. so far no issues. in fact, my connecteds seem to be running quicker. i can categorically state that i'm much quicker by 20% while using vpn.

the only thing that i have noticed is a very high cpu usage. cores are between 95% and max with 2 tvs streaming. if 1 tv, only 1 core seems to be maxed.

it's only been about 72 hours on this new release. did the gui install with no reset at all.

i'd appreciate any an all thoughts from u experts.

don't mean to step on any toes here but i took the dive from the stable release (45717) to 81352. so far no issues. in fact, my connecteds seem to be running quicker. i can categorically state that i'm much quicker by 20% while using vpn.

the only thing that i have noticed is a very high cpu usage. cores are between 95% and max with 2 tvs streaming. if 1 tv, only 1 core seems to be maxed.

it's only been about 72 hours on this new release. did the gui install with no reset at all.

Personally, My RAM usage stays at around 50%-54%, Core 1 0%-2%, Core 2 0%-2%. The core's do spike occasionally which is to be expected.
-You can expect a lot of answers telling you to do a complete reset, don't restore from backups, maybe install firmware again, then see how it runs. I always do a reset after an upgrade and usually it works out. There is the odd one off though where something rears it's head and you have to roll back to the last known working firmware for you.-

I'm running a 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh 81352 without any known issues. At idle, the router CPU cores run 0-1% with peaks of 3%. Simultaneously streaming Sling to a wired Roku and a wireless tablet and wired TV tuner to a wireless tablet, all off the router, run 0-3% with peaks of 7%. More peaks are on core1.

My memory is around 94% but I have a 1GB USB HDD attached. Without it, memory is around 56%.

My router configuration is in my notes.

Your CPU utilization sounds way high to me. A streaming TV should not be maxing out an 86U CPU, imo.

I did not reset after upgrading from 81351 to 81352. It appeared to be a small patch. And it doesn't seem to require a reset. However, if I experience weird behavior, it would be the first thing I do if I had not reset upgraded firmware. It's common sense troubleshooting, frequently mentioned here in the course of trying to help others who post bits of information online about their troubles.

OE

thanks guys (atlga/ozarkedge), great feedback!

i'll go ahead and do the full reset now. haven't done as much in years.

@128bit the link in my signature below may help (M&M Config and Nuclear Reset guides). :)

thanks guys (atlga/ozarkedge), great feedback!

i'll go ahead and do the full reset now. haven't done as much in years.

This FAQ explains the reset to factory defaults. Since it's been years, you need to read it. It will caution you to not restore saved settings... to reconfigure from scratch. I would do the webUI Restore w/Initialize for a fuller purge... they call it Restore in the webUI... it's the same as the button reset except you can't do the Initialize with the button reset.

There may be other reset tricks, some historical, mentioned here, but I've never done more than the obvious ones... the button reset or the webUI Restore reset w/Initialize.

Removing an AiMesh node automatically resets it... which is convenient.

Feel free to reset a few times and to cycle power OFF/wait.../ON before proceeding to re-configure.

OE

This FAQ explains the reset to factory defaults. Since it's been years, you need to read it. It will caution you to not restore saved settings... to reconfigure from scratch. I would do the webUI Restore w/Initialize for a fuller purge... they call it Restore in the webUI... it's the same as the button reset except you can't do the Initialize with the button reset.

There may be other reset tricks, some historical, mentioned here, but I've never done more than the obvious ones... the button reset or the webUI Restore reset w/Initialize.

Removing an AiMesh node automatically resets it... which is convenient.

Feel free to reset a few times and to cycle power OFF/wait.../ON before proceeding to re-configure.

OE
huge difference!!
did all that you mentioned very likely while you were responding. the cores barely hit 1% now, even while streaming youtubeTV. ram is a more respectable 64%. it was way past time. i'm now a reset believer. gotta hope this update is more stable than than the venerable 45717. so far so good though being up solid since 3/13 even with the issues. i am seeing faster connects with a couple devices.

. . . again, many thanks to you and all

huge difference!!
did all that you mentioned very likely while you were responding. the cores barely hit 1% now, even while streaming youtubeTV. ram is a more respectable 64%. it was way past time. i'm now a reset believer. gotta hope this update is more stable than than the venerable 45717. so far so good though being up solid since 3/13 even with the issues. i am seeing faster connects with a couple devices.

. . . again, many thanks to you and all

And now you're a Pro like the rest of us! You can start telling people to reset their damn router! :)

81352 seems good for me. Smart Connect disabled and fixed channels ever since the auto channel scanning/changing became a nuisance in 45713 and thereafter. But who knows... maybe my dying 86U was involved in that behavior.

OE

Last edited:
I've stayed on 45717 for quite some time because in my 2x RT-AC86U airmesh setup all other versions have given my droputs in network traffic every 5 minutes or so - which makes online meetings or gaming impossible.
Unfortunately 81352 shows the same bad behavior and I regret I upgraded (yes i did reset both units post upgrade) - is there any settings to check for good wifi performance before i install 45717 again….

I've stayed on 45717 for quite some time because in my 2x RT-AC86U airmesh setup all other versions have given my droputs in network traffic every 5 minutes or so - which makes online meetings or gaming impossible.
Unfortunately 81352 shows the same bad behavior and I regret I upgraded (yes i did reset both units post upgrade) - is there any settings to check for good wifi performance before i install 45717 again….

Seems strange that you are experiencing 'dropouts'. Even when wired to the router?

OE

No its the Wifi which is instable - I have 2 SSID one 2.4 and one 5 and it works super on the older firmare

What wireless client are you connecting to the router WiFi when it drops?

OE

@skylt maybe this is your chance to try RMerlin 384.16 Beta 1 instead? :)

First off, I am not normally a forum poster. I however felt obliged to create an account to say THANK YOU to the many on this forum who have helped me with issues over the past year. Merlin,
Ozark, L&LD, Val, and many more whom I apologize to for not mentioning. You are not being paid enough that is for sure!

With that said the 86u was my first Asus router and I must say I struggled with the device. I am a software engineer by trade, so I love breaking things down, trying new ways with old methods, etc. I must have installed 100 different combinations of firmware on the 86u this past year. I followed L's M&M configs so many times, I have them memorized! I can honestly state that the 5717 firmware for the 86u is the most stable.

Now to the good stuff. If this is posted in the wrong place, please let me know.

Your mileage may vary but I was able to get the new 81352 firmware rock solid stable while at the same time using AI protection, Smart Connect, Qos, Beamforming, etc. Here are the steps:
1) Nuclear Reset using L's directions
2) Install 5717 and set up router the way you want
3) Firmware upgrade under the Administration tab to 81352 . DO NOT reset or go nuclear.
4) Once complete, press button on router and unplug. Leave off for 1 minuter. Restart.

I know this sounds way too easy, but I believe 5717 as the backbone to any firmware update was essential in my testing. You will still get the WLC Events, but if you are not using Merlin, then just ssh into router and set the nvram logging to 5. Even Roaming Assistant is rock solid.

Again, thank you so much for your hard work!

Now if someone could help me set up my Alias!!! :)

Last edited:
First off, I am not normally a forum poster. I however felt obliged to create an account to say THANK YOU to the many on this forum who have helped me with issues over the past year. Merlin,
Ozark, L&LD, Val, and many more whom I apologize to for not mentioning. You are not being paid enough that is for sure!

With that said the 86u was my first Asus router and I must say I struggled with the device. I am a software engineer by trade, so I love breaking things down, trying new ways with old methods, etc. I must have installed 100 different combinations of firmware on the 86u this past year. I followed L's M&M configs so many times, I have them memorized! I can honestly state that the 5717 firmware for the 86u is the most stable.

Now to the good stuff. If this is posted in the wrong place, please let me know.

Your mileage may vary but I was able to get the new 81352 firmware rock solid stable while at the same time using AI protection, Smart Connect, Qos, Beamforming, etc. Here are the steps:
1) Nuclear Reset using L's directions
2) Install 5717 and set up router the way you want
3) Firmware upgrade under the Administration tab. DO NOT reset or go nuclear.
4) Once complete, press button on router and unplug. Leave off for 1 minuter. Restart.

I know this sounds way too easy, but I believe 5717 as the backbone to any firmware update was essential in my testing. You will still get the WLC Events, but if you are not using Merlin, then just ssh into router and set the nvram logging to 5. Even Roaming Assistant is rock solid.

Again, thank you so much for your hard work!

Now if someone could help me set up my Alias!!! :)

Interesting. I would appreciate any @RMerlin reflections on this method approach as he would better know what's taking place inside the router, if anything special.

My 2xRT-AC86U 81352 seems pretty solid. I have not returned to using Smart Connect since being without it has shown it to be unnecessary here.

OE

Other than multiple drop outs from time to time my router performs decently on 81352 . Its been a long time since i used 45717 so i cant compare but id say stay on latest firmware and when there is drop out just manually restart router it should help.

Other than multiple drop outs from time to time my router performs decently on 81352 . Its been a long time since i used 45717 so i cant compare but id say stay on latest firmware and when there is drop out just manually restart router it should help.

How can I detect these dropouts? Streaming that buffers may not reveal them.

OE

Interesting. I would appreciate any @RMerlin reflections on this method approach as he would better know what's taking place inside the router, if anything special.

To be honest, I can't even remember when was the last time I did a factory default reset on one of my routers... Personally I just flash new firmware on top of it, and everything keeps working just fine.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!