1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC86U with a Range Extender and Slow File Transfer

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by maxsteel, Dec 17, 2018.

1. maxsteel

maxsteel Regular Contributor

Hi,

My range extender shows 1300 mbps connection under the 5ghz network. However, the local file transfer speed from NAS never exceeds 30 MB/s while when I'm connecting directly to the router (86u) speed can reach 70 MB/s under the same condition.

The router and the range extender are close to each other same with the testing phases I was close as possible to the devices.

Any idea what could be the issue? 86u advanced wireless settings were left to default and the router has been already initialized.

Thank you,

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. Adamm

Adamm Very Senior Member

I think the first thing to check is your connection speed to the range extender. Just because the range extender has a 1300mbps link, doesn't mean your client does (along with the additional overheads of repeating a signal).

3. maxsteel

Yes, it is the connection from my client (macbook pro) to the extender which measure 1300 mbps.

4. bbunge

bbunge Very Senior Member

Unless you use a dual band range extender the throughput will be half or less of the connection speed. The extender spends half of its time relaying the wifi data with a single band. Use an ethernet backhaul to speed things up.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

5. maxsteel

The range extender I'm using supports both 2.4 and 5G bands. Here is the model details https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5508_RE650.html

6. Adamm

Adamm Very Senior Member

You should google the differences between a repeater and an access point, it will make much more sense then. Without wired backhaul you will only ever get 50% speed in repeater mode as the radio has to both send and receive.

maxsteel likes this.
  7. bbunge

bbunge Very Senior Member

Looks like your Range Extender is a tad bit better than most. Without really digging into the workings of the dual band it looks like you can connect to both the 2.4 and 5 GHZ bands and the extender will choose the best for signal strength and switch between them. Just make sure the SSID on the Asus 2.4 GHZ is different from the 5 GHZ SSID. Many of us use the suffix -5g to denote the higher band.
    Your best bet is to use an Ethernet cable and make the repeater into an access point.

maxsteel likes this.
  8. maxsteel

Thank you guys very much! All cleared up now.