What's new

RT-AC87R cannot connect to internet from devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dsironi

New Around Here
Our router at church refuses outgoing connections to internet
Powering off/on allows them for a whil only. Log file shows errors trying to write someplace (?) no space. For a month now. I will show an image of log. I also cannot save the settings .-??
Read about others having problem after an update.
Help. Buy different companies’ router?
Is this a form of DOS?
I’m an informed novice at this.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4593.jpeg
    IMG_4593.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4592.jpeg
    IMG_4592.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 28
Log file shows errors trying to write someplace (?) no space. For a month now. I will show an image of log.
It looks like your router has run out of memory. However that's unlikely to be the root cause. We'd need to see the complete log file rather than just a small segment to stand any chance of finding the problem.

I also cannot save the settings .-??
It is your browser that is blocking the download of the cfg file, not the router.

Help. Buy different companies’ router?
Is this a form of DOS?
The RT-AC87R is an end-of-life router that is no longer supported by Asus. The last security update for it was over two years ago. Given the number of security vulnerabilities in that old firmware I suggest you use this as an opportunity to replace it with a supported model.

Colin, thank you. We inherited the router. It was working fine until Brille a month or so ago. Only this week did I examine the logs. Some update may have occurred, but auto update is off.
Upon your suggestion, we’ll purchase new.
The errors begin within minutes ov rebooting. FYI. I’ll post the log if I can , but we’ll buy new.

Attachments

• syslog (2).txt
    383.9 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for the log file. Unfortunately it doesn't go back far enough to provide any additional useful information. If there are any clues they would be between the point when the router starts to boot up and the first occurrence of the "failed to" messages.

In any case a new router is the way to go (if only for security reasons). In the meantime you might be able to get some stability out of the AC87R by performing a hard factory reset on it and setting it up again manually (i.e. do not reload settings from a backup file).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!