What's new

RT-AC87U after 384.13_2 update ERROR: NVRAM usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dear all.

After a hard reset and a new asus firmware and then the latest Merlin i do have this NvRam:

Looks not a very great clean up
Only is this a normal value?
Code:
ngth(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20
810 nc_setting_conf
474 rc_support
120 qos_rulelist
81 asus_device_list
71 vpn_server2_ncp_ciphers
71 vpn_server1_ncp_ciphers
71 vpn_client5_ncp_ciphers
71 vpn_client4_ncp_ciphers
71 vpn_client3_ncp_ciphers
71 vpn_client2_ncp_ciphers
71 vpn_client1_ncp_ciphers
70 vpn_server_ncp_ciphers
70 vpn_client_ncp_ciphers
68 bwdpi_app_rulelist
67 lb_skip_port
64 modem_sms_message1
63 dns_probe_content
63 apps_ipkg_server
61 qos_orates
56 modem_sms_message2

Looks better to me ..:)
Only i am a dombo:) in this great software

You have far too many Client Names set under the Network Map > Clients. Try to only use LAN > DHCP Server instead.

If you don't set clients in the Network Map (custom_clientlist nvram variable), but only in the DHCP server, how will they be shown in the Network Map?

I have set up my router from scratch and have restored dhcp_staticlist, but my custom_clientlist is incomplete. I wonder whether I should complete it or delete it...

(if the router would show the hostname from dhcp_staticlist in the Network Map that would be fine, but I don't think it does?)

If you don't set clients in the Network Map (custom_clientlist nvram variable), but only in the DHCP server, how will they be shown in the Network Map?
My understanding is that it would show the hostnames, but I could well be wrong because I don't use the current firmware and Asus keeps changing how the Network Map works.

Guys I have this problem frequently. It seems other do also. Looks like a design flaw in ASUS to me. Anyway below is what my NVRAM looks like. I have 41 DHCP reservations and dont run ANY apps, ASUS native or otherwise.

Do you guys see any "issues" here?...

@asusrouter:/tmp/home/root# nvram show 2>/dev/null | grep "[^=] \="

**Nothing displayed at the prompt**

@asusrouter:/tmp/home/root# nvram show 2>/dev/null | awk '{print length(),
$0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20
1289 dhcp_staticlist
1217 dhcp_hostnames
1157 custom_clientlist
1087 sshd_hostkey
810 nc_setting_conf
622 sshd_dsskey
516 rc_support
447 webdav_smb_pc
424 vts_rulelist
338 sshd_ecdsakey
269 url_rulelist
131 wl1_chansps
129 wps_env_buf
120 qos_rulelist
117 dnspriv_rulelist
98 client_info_tmp
92 1:pa5ga2
92 1:pa5ga1
92 1:pa5ga0
73 bwdpi_app_rulelist

Looks like a design flaw in ASUS to me.

It's largely my firmware requiring more nvram for all the extra features. For instance that dhcp_hostnames variable doesn't exist on stock firmware. I also support 5 separate OpenVPN clients, more than Asus does.

Those older models were designed back when 64 KB was sufficient for typical usage. That was before Asus added various new features, and I also added my own set of features. These older models are starting to reach their EOL in terms of what they can handle.

It's largely my firmware requiring more nvram for all the extra features. For instance that dhcp_hostnames variable doesn't exist on stock firmware. I also support 5 separate OpenVPN clients, more than Asus does.

Those older models were designed back when 64 KB was sufficient for typical usage. That was before Asus added various new features, and I also added my own set of features. These older models are starting to reach their EOL in terms of what they can handle.

Ah, understood... given that, what is the least expensive model you'd recommend changing to? I use a Unifi AC-LR access point which handles most (25-30 devices) and thus my AC68P mostly acts as my Firewall/DHCP and services about 5 2.4Ghz clients at any given time these days.

Ah, understood... given that, what is the least expensive model you'd recommend changing to? I use a Unifi AC-LR access point which handles most (25-30 devices) and thus my AC68P mostly acts as my Firewall/DHCP and services about 5 2.4Ghz clients at any given time these days.

Newer models like the RT-AC88U or RT-AC86U have 128 KB of nvram.

The real question is, how much nvram do you have available right now. If it never goes below 1000-2000 bytes available, then it should be fine.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!