What's new

RT-AC87U--No options under Wireless tab...please help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snb008

Regular Contributor
RT-AC87U
Firmware: 378.55 (Merlin)

Problem:
In the UI, under Advanced Settings--->Wireless, all options (eg 'Professional' tab) missing except the 'General' are missing (see pic 1 attached). This is usually how I access the various tabs.

However, I discover that I can go to 'Guest Network' page and then click 'GO' (see red arrows in pic 2) to reach the 'Wireless' page with *all* tabs available (see pic 3)

Why, all of a sudden, does this happen?
Please help! A lot of thanks for any input!!

(The only thing that I have recently done to the router is unplugging all the cables from it and use an air blower to do dust cleaning.)

Questions
1) How do I update to a newer firmware from this Merlin modified 378.55?
Do I just follow standard/basic procedure or is there any special steps to use for upgrading from a Merlin modified firmware?

2) The router was bought in around 2014. It has been doing its job without issue.
Is it getting too old and acting up? Are 8 years a good life span for this router?

If I were to buy a new Asus router, please suggest a model.
I am using Win10 and a main usage is to connect via 5GHz to a Netgear EX7000 in another room to provide signal over there. Thanks again!

Attachments

• pic 1 Wireless has only General.JPG
    pic 1 Wireless has only General.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 92
  • pic 2 Wireless page indirectly accessed.JPG
    pic 2 Wireless page indirectly accessed.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 98
  • pic 3 all tabs available.JPG
    pic 3 all tabs available.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
It looks like your nvram settings are totally corrupted. Factory reset the router and set it up again.

The RT-AC87U is an end of life device. RMerlin dropped support for it two years ago. The last version was 384.13_10. The last Asus firmware was over a year ago.

It looks like your nvram settings are totally corrupted. Factory reset the router and set it up again.

The RT-AC87U is an end of life device. RMerlin dropped support for it two years ago. The last version was 384.13_10. The last Asus firmware was over a year ago.

Thank you for your quick response!

For factory reset, is it simply pressing the reset button on the back of the router?
And, after resetting, will the firmware be reset to the original or still with the Merlin's one.
If it is the Asus one, do you advise to upgrade to the latest Asus firmware?

I have added some info in the my first post.
Any other advice?

Thank you again!

You can get that scrambled, nonsensical GUI when one or more of the WiFi radios is not working. This was a very common problem on the RT-AC87U. You can try turning it off, unplugging the power cord, waiting a minute and then plugging it back in. If you're lucky it might work properly again. Otherwise it's probably just a hardware failure.

The firmware version will be unchanged after a reset. Follow these instructions for a hard reset: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039077

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!