What's new

RT-AC87U: Problem: kernel /dlna /unknown device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GiYOM

New Around Here
I have problems with my new router, I tried all firmwares available for RT-AC87U, but it still persists.

1- I received a lot of messages in the system log: 'kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it Urgently! 'And I followed the advice I've seen in the various threads about this problem. rMerlin said that asus had solved this problem and it was related to adaptive QoS. but on my router this feature is already off. The only way I've found to prevent this problem from spamming my system log is to turn off AiProtection ( -malicious sites blocking, -vulnerability protection, -infected device prevention and blocking ) and no more error. I want to know if its dangerous to keep Aiprotection on because at the end of the error its written : fix it urgently!.

2- The DLNA server stops working by itself. After a while it works again or I need to reboot the router. its annoying... do you have a similar problem?

3- I got unknown phone devices showing in windows 8 network list. It appears and disappears. it shows the device name and the mac adress only, no ip adress. Nothing Appears in my Client list on the router page. I needed to turn off WPS and disable the windows service : WCNCSVC (Windows Connect Now) to prevent seeing it. Is this normal? (note: i have a old d-link router dir-610 and i dont see unknown device in my network list)

4- its nothing but my antenna unscrews itself when i rotated it. I need to hold it before rotate it XD its nothing but its just annoying.

I was thinking to return my router and get a older model ,maybe it will have more mature firmware... :(

What do you think about it and from your experience do you think older model have stable dlna server and no problem in system log when activating router's features?

Sorry i usually speak french so maybe my english is not perfect. ;)

ASUS RT-AC87R DLNA Issue

I have the same issue which was written on the 2. bullet.
DLNA servicee starts and stops by itself. But that doesn't happen while playing a media through DLNA.
I contacted to Asus Technical Service. They recommended me to update firmware which didn't solve the issue. I replaced the device with the same model but the problem still exists.

I tested older firmwares as well. All of them have the same issue.

What I noticed is, if I have a playlist on my smart phone I can use that playlist and play media files from the router attached HDD even if I can not see that HDD in my DLNA server list. Once I start playing the playlist then the Asus router appears in DLNA servers list.

I believe that this is related to firmware. But the Asus didn't tell me that this issue might be related to firmware, they told me to rma it. Their approach indicates that they are not considering this problem as an issue and they will not try to solve the issue with a firmware update.

I would recommend you to return it and get ac68 because its fw is much more stable than ac87 ,Specially with RMarlin build 47

Same here with my new RT-AC87U on stock FW 2769. MiniDLNA server and service is working (and showing correct results opening 192.168.1.1:8200), but only visible to clients with a nice ASUS router picture for about 20 minutes after re-boot and about 20 sec after disabling and enabling the service again. I tried many different clients and configurations, e.g. firewall off, all other DLNA servers in my network off. All clients see the MiniDLNA I am running on my Raspberry pi, so I don't think it is a client issue with MiniDLNA. It affects cabled as well as wireless clients, so I assume no WLAN issue.
Just hoping for next FW update to fix this since it is one of my key features :(
Does anyone know if Merlin FW is going to fix this?

Do you find any solution , i'm still having problem with minidlna.. Minidlna is running but not visiable to devices. I have to restart dlna or router to see it. Can you help if you resolve the problem. I'm using 56_2 on ac87U

Do you find any solution , i'm still having problem with minidlna.. Minidlna is running but not visiable to devices. I have to restart dlna or router to see it. Can you help if you resolve the problem. I'm using 56_2 on ac87U

Running Merlin, try making a
/jffs/scripts/init-start
script with the following lines

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Turn off multicast snooping (required for minidlna advertisement)
echo 0 > /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/multicast_snooping

I've already try this but I still have the issue.. Any other ideas?

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
The only other possibility I can think of is that you have a corrupt/unknown file that is causing minidlna to hang during a scan. Try paring down the files on your drive to a few that you are know are good, and see if it still happens.

The only other possibility I can think of is that you have a corrupt/unknown file that is causing minidlna to hang during a scan. Try paring down the files on your drive to a few that you are know are good, and see if it still happens.

Thanks, after checking for errors and repair this command takes effect.. After entering the command almost 10 hours I don't have problems.

P. S. No, the issue still exist. Again disappear from Dlna list.

Last edited:
Thanks, after checking for errors and repair this command takes effect.. After entering the command almost 10 hours I don't have problems.

P. S. No, the issue still exist. Again disappear from Dlna list.

hi, you have solved this problems?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!