What's new

RT-AC88U - 3.0.0.4.382.18991 (New features)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you guys think that having dual wan enabled might be the cause of my issue with this firmware?

No! Just last 2 firmwares is full of crap. Even with 7743 i have problems with MAC clones etc. I remember using Asus since 2005, excellent hardware and damn crap software sometimes, firmware, bios....

I agree ok with high ram usage 200 is ok for router of 512, but there are plenty of issues with this new firm.
Dual wan never worked to me with load balance even with 7743................

I'm giving this one another chance. When I reflashed to it the same thing happened with several wam messages and a dropped wan port. I then disabled dual wan and when it finished those messages ceased and I will report back if my wan goes out again.

Error 403 sound like an authorization denied error. Make sure of a few things:

Beyond that, best to contact Asus's support, as they do not monitor this forum.

1) that you aren't forwarding port 80 or 443 to another server on your LAN (I assume one of these is used by the validation process
None of the devices on network have 443 or 80 ports forwarded. I am using default 8443 https port on my RT-AC88U.

2) That you aren't behind a dual NAT, blocking access from the outside to your router
How can I check that? My RT-AC88U dials PPPOE connection and my VDSL modem is in bridge mode. So I guess there is no double NAT.

3) That you aren't in a country where Let's Encrypt is being blocked (I don't know for instance if China does).
I am in India

4) That your DDNS is working properly (note: I suspect that DNS-o-Matic might not work properly with LE)
DDNS is working properly as I am using xxxx.asuscomm.com as name and can access ruoter interface from outside on any device. I just have to accept invalid certificate warning.

If you are using PPPoE then you shouldn't be dual NATed (unless your ISP uses CGNAT, which is usually visible by your IP address being a private IP rather than a public one.).

I know ISPs are rather... unreliable in India (having provided tech support to a customer of mine who lived there for three years). Is it possible your ISP might be blocking inbound ports 80 or 443 perhaps? You could also check Let's Encrypt's website to see if they mention anything about India.

Otherwise, you might want to contact Asus about this.

I had something strange happen this morning in that during a power cycle with dual wan disabled the router made my at&t connection the wan even though it was in lan port 3. When I saw this I unplugged the cable from the lan port and power cycled again bringing up Comcast on the primary wan port. I suppose that I'll leave it unplugged until Comcast goes out again and then plug the at&t back in.

Having similar issues with my ac68u and the new f/w, Core 1 will eventually hit 100% load on fast downloads.
Just done a reset, i hope this fixes it or back to 7743 for me too.

No special settings. Tried with default wireless settings (WPA2), my settings and Smartconnect settings. No change, streaming is horrible even with Amazon fire tv stick, which has no client settings.
Youtube switches to 240p after minutes, amazon video is pixelated, and after minutes wireless disconnects.
Even Merlin 382.1 firmware has poor wireless performance, but no wireless disconnects.
Switched back to August Firmware, and all ist back to normal.
i tried to run chariot for some days and it works normally.
Could you please provide your profile and log ,maybe i can help you find the problem.

Since disabling/disconnecting the dual wan I've tried turning off the reboot scheduler to see how long I can go without wan issues. I'm hoping that this issue has actually been resolved for me with this latest firmware.

I've been up 2 1/2 days now with the 2nd isp cable unplugged and no error messages appear in the log nor has it disconnected once.

Since making the aforementioned changes this router has been up over a week straight without any error messages or issues.

Anyone experience high cpu usage while downloading torrents?
Just hit 60 % on core 1 with 2 torrents on connection 50/25?

Update: Lets Encrypt Working Tested Successful. But who access their own router throw wan its not secure, better and more more secure - openvpn, then rdc.
Useless feature for me, hope not for others!

Update 2: Tested with downloading 15 torrents at same time, wired, the speed drop to 54 KBps crap crap crap...reverting back to old firmware. And begin to thinking for new router not Asus this time - Ubiquiti erpo-5 one guy recommended me will do the job with small packets (torrents) i hope....
pfff so disappointing

Update 3: Give it one more try same result speed drop to 1 MBps, - 900-700 KBps.....
removed the wan cable direct to my computer and get full speed

Last edited:

Update 2: Tested with downloading 15 torrents at same time, wired, the speed drop to 54 KBps crap crap crap...reverting back to old firmware. And begin to thinking for new router not Asus this time - Ubiquiti erpo-5 one guy recommended me will do the job with small packets (torrents) i hope....
pfff so disappointing

Update 3: Give it one more try same result speed drop to 1 MBps, - 900-700 KBps.....
removed the wan cable direct to my computer and get full speed

I have no problem with 20+ active torrents. CPU load is nearly zero. My guess would be that you have AiProtection or QOS enabled. I've never seen any value for either and have always kept them disabled.

Yes the ai protection is enabled. QoS - disabled. I will test with ai protection disabled and post back

Update: Turned off Ai, downloading is fine, cpu1 hits 80%, 12 torrents
2 t0rrents- 50-51-70 % on cpu1

I have no problem with 20+ active torrents. CPU load is nearly zero. My guess would be that you have AiProtection or QOS enabled. I've never seen any value for either and have always kept them disabled.

I want to see that 20 + active torrents in state of downloading nearly your cpu is zero you're on isdn ?If you speed is <1 Mbps maybe i agree. Post some screenshots! I don't believe that! And anyone here too imho!

Last edited:

I want to see that 20 + active torrents in state of downloading nearly your cpu is zero you're on isdn ?If you speed is <1 Mbps maybe i agree. Post some screenshots! I don't believe that! And anyone here too imho!

I do limit total outbound speed to no more than 500 kB/sec to stay below my ISP's monthly data cap. I have no limit set on inbound speeds, but I don't routinely have more than one active new torrent downloading. I'd happily provide a screen shot right now, but I'm away from home, and the computer that handles my torrents crashed. When I return in a few weeks, I'll post a screen shot.

Last edited:
I've noticed that after over 9 days of uptime my ram used is up to 250mb or 49% which is the highest I've seen from this unit. Nevertheless, it continues to operate without issue and I will continue without the reboot scheduler enabled to see how long it can go before I have to power cycle it.

I just updated my AC56R to this version without any problems; so far so good

I'm at 13.5 days now with the dual wan disabled and the second ISP cable disconnected. The router continues to work without issue and is not generating any unusual messages unlike before where having the 2nd ISP cable connected caused issues even with dual wan disabled.

If you are using PPPoE then you shouldn't be dual NATed (unless your ISP uses CGNAT, which is usually visible by your IP address being a private IP rather than a public one.).

I know ISPs are rather... unreliable in India (having provided tech support to a customer of mine who lived there for three years). Is it possible your ISP might be blocking inbound ports 80 or 443 perhaps? You could also check Let's Encrypt's website to see if they mention anything about India.

Otherwise, you might want to contact Asus about this.
Hi RMerlin, I installed the 9.0.0.4.382_19612 beta firmware which is meant for AIiMesh and now I get my LetsEncrypt certificate without any issues. So it clearly is ASUS pushing out buggy & unfinished firmwares before doing sufficient testing.

Hi RMerlin, I installed the 9.0.0.4.382_19612 beta firmware which is meant for AIiMesh and now I get my LetsEncrypt certificate without any issues. So it clearly is ASUS pushing out buggy & unfinished firmwares before doing sufficient testing.

Bugs are to be expected with such a complex piece of software. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's "buggy and unfinished". Some bugs will only be triggered under very specific scenarios (Let's Encrypt for instance does work fine for me). You can't expect Asus to reproduce and resolve every single potential issue for every new firmware release.

This is just a fact of life with modern software in general, where you cannot control everyone's environment.