What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.8120

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rtcomputersinc

ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.8120
Security fixed
- Fixed KRACK vulnerability
- Fixed CVE-2017-14491: DNS - 2 byte heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14492: DHCP - heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14493: DHCP - stack based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14494: DHCP - info leak
- Fixed CVE-2017-14495: DNS - OOM DoS
- Fixed CVE-2017-14496: DNS - DoS Integer underflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-13704 : Bug collision
- Fixed predictable session tokens, logged user IP validation, Logged-in information disclosure (special thanks for Blazej Adamczyk contribution)
- Fixed web GUI authorization vulnerabilities.
- Fixed AiCloud XSS vulnerabilities

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 2959a67151ba961c7580a0bd89b131cb

RT-N66U is also available, same version.

RT-N66U is also available, same version.
I am assuming none of this was already addressed with 380.68_4. So your thought as to whether its worth loading this until such time you at a point to start 380 development again (per your state of the union :) ) Although you did say until the 1st beta of 382 so perhaps you are already back on 380? Just asking if any of this is serious enough to worry about to the point its worth applying. ASUS mentioned in a document that this router (and others) was not affected by KRACK "in its default state" but then released a patch for it. And it looks like a lot of other security issues addressed here. Thanks for all you do!

I am assuming none of this was already addressed with 380.68_4.

All the listed CVE were already addressed in 380.68_4, they were part of the dnsmasq 2.78 update.

What's left to resolve is KRACK and the webui issues. For this I have to wait for Asus to release the GPL code. There's definitely a 380.69 planned, but it will have to wait until at the very least Asus releases the GPL. Unsure yet if I will be merging the whole GPL or just parts of it, will depend if that GPL is compatible with all the other models still on the 380 branch.

By "default state", Asus mean "in router mode". KRACK requires patching on the router for Repeater and Media Bridge modes. If you are running it in router mode, then you need to just worry about updating all your wireless clients - that exploit targets clients, not access points.

All the listed CVE were already addressed in 380.68_4, they were part of the dnsmasq 2.78 update.

What's left to resolve is KRACK and the webui issues. For this I have to wait for Asus to release the GPL code. There's definitely a 380.69 planned, but it will have to wait until at the very least Asus releases the GPL. Unsure yet if I will be merging the whole GPL or just parts of it, will depend if that GPL is compatible with all the other models still on the 380 branch.

By "default state", Asus mean "in router mode". KRACK requires patching on the router for Repeater and Media Bridge modes. If you are running it in router mode, then you need to just worry about updating all your wireless clients - that exploit targets clients, not access points.
Excellent news! Thanks for the quick reply and clarification on ASUS statement regarding KRACK. Most info out there does say its a client issue but when I saw 8120 patched it made me wonder. Will sit tight on .69. then. Appreciate your efforts and support!!

Can someone confirm if my home network is now considered ''safe to use'' for all my devices? My phone for example is not patched, can i still use it safely on my home network after updating my router?

Can someone confirm if my home network is now considered ''safe to use'' for all my devices? My phone for example is not patched, can i still use it safely on my home network after updating my router?

NO all affected client devices must also be patched or your still hackable.

Seems to work fine as an Access Point. Doesn't work as an AP with usb aircard failover. It used to work with previous versions but now in the gui it only says cold standby. That wording is new used to only say standby. Rolled it back to previous version.

I had slow speeds on my own AC66u , which is why i stopped using it years back , but i recently got fed up with my ISP's modems they send me for my Fiber , and im running a 500/500 connection , but with the new official bios 3.0.0.4.380_8120 for the RT-AC66U from Asus them selves it runs 500/500 for now, but i guess i will see if it starts to throttle it self down again, if so i might get a tad pissed :p

Anyone here ever had issues with their throttling it self, why it does it and potentially how to fix it so i don't have to force reboot the router everytime, this is just if it starts happening again, this router is back from 2014 and i just had it in a drawer and didn't use it because of the issues with the throttling it self.

Oh and now i just need to figure out why even with port forwards open , i'm still not getting green light from my uTorrent, do i really need to disable the firewall in the router for my ports to work.

I had slow speeds on my own AC66u , which is why i stopped using it years back , but i recently got fed up with my ISP's modems they send me for my Fiber , and im running a 500/500 connection , but with the new official bios 3.0.0.4.380_8120 for the RT-AC66U from Asus them selves it runs 500/500 for now, but i guess i will see if it starts to throttle it self down again, if so i might get a tad pissed :p

Anyone here ever had issues with their throttling it self, why it does it and potentially how to fix it so i don't have to force reboot the router everytime, this is just if it starts happening again, this router is back from 2014 and i just had it in a drawer and didn't use it because of the issues with the throttling it self.

Oh and now i just need to figure out why even with port forwards open , i'm still not getting green light from my uTorrent, do i really need to disable the firewall in the router for my ports to work.
For your port forwarding, just use UPnP. I don't experience any severe slowdowns but my upload is around 40Mbit when it should be 50. Download speed is normal. It has been like that for at least a year.

UPnP doesn't seem to work for me for some reason, still just get the red ! telling me no incomming connections , tried just about everything now, its mind boggling.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!