What's new

RT-AC88U, 4 ports not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pfuller88

Occasional Visitor
I just bought the RT-AC88U. Ports 1 thru 4 work fine. Ports 5 thru 8 are dead (computer states No Ethernet detected). I initially flashed to Merlin's AC88U 380.57 alpha 3 from the stock firmware (I did notice in the listing of ports that ports 5 thru 8 showed something like "NONE" in the merlin fireware - ports 1 thru 4 showed the proper 100 or 1000 connection).

I have since reset the router via both "WPS and power" and reset button and re-installed the latest Asus AC88U fireware (ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.858) back onto the router - ports 5 thru 8 still no response.

I did not check whether these ports were working before I flashed to Merlin then back to Asus.

Any thoughts?

Try a couple of different cables, otherwise, sounds like maybe failed unit...

I looked at the system log. I see these entries...

Jul 31 20:00:16 kernel: rtl8365mbrtl8365mb initialized(14)(retry:10) failed
Jul 31 20:00:16 kernel: rtk port_phyEnableAll Failed!(15)
Jul 31 20:00:16 kernel: rtk port_macForceLink_set ext_Port0 Failed!(15)

I see in the Merlin sysinfo page this (note I have ethernet cables plugged into 6 and 7 as well as 1 thru 4..

Port Link State
LAN 8 (RTL) Down
LAN 7 (RTL) Down
LAN 6 (RTL) Down
LAN 5 (RTL) Down
LAN 4 1000 Full Duplex
LAN 3 1000 Full Duplex
LAN 2 100 Full Duplex
LAN 1 100 Full Duplex
WAN 1000 Full Duplex

I have tried different computers and ethernet hardware with different cables. It seems there might be a fault with this router.

I just bought the RT-AC88U. Ports 1 thru 4 work fine. Ports 5 thru 8 are dead (computer states No Ethernet detected). I initially flashed to Merlin's AC88U 380.57 alpha 3 from the stock firmware (I did notice in the listing of ports that ports 5 thru 8 showed something like "NONE" in the merlin fireware - ports 1 thru 4 showed the proper 100 or 1000 connection).

I have since reset the router via both "WPS and power" and reset button and re-installed the latest Asus AC88U fireware (ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.858) back onto the router - ports 5 thru 8 still no response.

I did not check whether these ports were working before I flashed to Merlin then back to Asus.

Any thoughts?

Hi,

I've got the exact same problem as you describe. Just wondering what you ended up doing to hopefully fix it?

Any thoughts?

Did you try the unit out of box as is? Or right off the bat flashed f/w? Personally when I get new router I just try it out of box to make sure it is in good working order B4 I mess with it.

Did you try the unit out of box as is? Or right off the bat flashed f/w? Personally when I get new router I just try it out of box to make sure it is in good working order B4 I mess with it.

Sorry I forgot to mention, it hasn't been flashed to any other firmware except for the latest official asus firmware.

Yes, more I think about it, it does sound like a failed unit out of the box - this happens sometimes - before you return or ask for an RMA, have you tried to plug something into those ports?

The RTL basically acts as an unmanaged 5 port switch to the Broadcom SoC... so maybe plugging something will tickle (yes, technical term, lol) the realtek into action...

The other thing to look at is the system log and see what it says - and perhaps login on the ssh/telnet port and probe things out there. Plenty of guidance on the forums here on how to do that.

Wondering on an off-hand chance that somehow it thinks it's an RT-AC3100 vs. RT-AC88U, and I believe that's defined in the CFE...

Just an update, I bought it back to the store and swapped it over for a brand new one. Apparently this issue does happen, albeit rare in ASUS routers but technology can fail in any case. Definitely a hardware issue as opposed to software. Hopefully a help for anyone with the same issue. Thanks for everyone's help.

I have this problem too. I think it is a chip problem and it is imputable to any firmware. I'm using this switch from april 2016 (always used merlin firmware) and only from one week i have this problem. I think to change it to previous rt-ac68 and i will attach a small external switch.

Exactly the same here. Ports 5-8 dead. When did this Problem appear on your ac88's ?
I've got a short circuit so my fuse jumped out and the APC battery-backup started to power the Modem and Router.
The Switch i've got in this room with the short is plugged with Port 6 .... Perhaps just grilled the Chip or the APC's Output got a different frequency or kind of voltage with higher or wider amplitudes or so ...dunno iam no expert in electricity

My 88U has just done the same thing! Was not doing anything particular - just suddenly lost SSH to a server hanging off port8. It's 13 month old so just out of warranty :(

Did you try to roll back to an official Asus Firmware > HW Reset > Back to latest Merlin > manually set the settings?

Gesendet von meinem XT1650 mit Tapatalk

My 88U has just done the same thing! Was not doing anything particular - just suddenly lost SSH to a server hanging off port8. It's 13 month old so just out of warranty :(
Just a suggestion.... currently the RT-AC88U has a 2 year warranty. I do not know for certain if that is something that was applicable to your purchase, but you may have an option here... albeit dealing with an RMA process that nobody may enjoy, its a glimmer of hope.

After seeing this post and a few others I called to see if my ordered could be recalled through the postal system... No dice. I will have to wait until it gets here. I am RMA'ing without even trying it.... I purchased the Linksys EA9500 when it was released and I do not want to go through the @$$-pain that it caused me all over again. I figured that some of the reviews that people left on multiple sellers webpages regarding the RT-AC88U were that of inexperience or dealt with environmental variables that they did not understand/correct, but LAN ports not working... why would I want to be a test bed for a companies hardware? Or be a victim of poor QA or shortcuts. If they paid me or gave me the hardware, sure, why not... but I'm not going to pay them to test their product. Sorry for the frustration and venting but it is so hard to find an unbiased review. I mean, I have a fulltime job already. I don't need another one in finding out what router is going to work for my family.... This had become such a frustrating process these days.

Turns out a power off, unplug, power on (to discharge capacitors), plug in and power on fixed it.
First time it’s done it in 13 months and I found a number of others with the same solution.
I’d rather this quirk once a year and Merlins fantastic firmware than some other option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it is worth - I had this TWICE - and as JDB writes, just unplug the powersupply, wait a minute or two, plug in the power - and everything works again.

Not shure I would say h/w error though.... Bad design on h/w with not perfect drive in firmware (adn RMerlin depends on the driver so he has nothing to do with this) - sure - but h/w error....

Hello, I have the same problem with ports. It happened first time (so far) after two weeks of using ASUS RT-AC88U. I know about another bug: Tx power adjustment does not work at all - setting it to minimum (Power Saving mode) does not any effect (the range/power of wifi signal is the same as in maximum Performance mode). ASUS just released new firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.18991 ( changelog history: https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC88U/HelpDesk_BIOS/ ) But none of these bugs was fixed!

Last edited:
same problem here with the port 5 to 8 not working

Edit:
will try the full reboot without power tonight and post back, cant get to the router right now.
(just wanted to add a comment that more have gotten the problem)

Edit2: I cold booted the device yesterday and the ports starting to work again.

Last edited:
Reactions: DME

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!