What's new

RT-AC88U, 4 ports not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

same problem here with the port 5 to 8 not working

Unplug power, wait 30 seconds, power on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nic
The ports will stop working at a later date even with cold boot (remove power) - most likly hard ware error on the router.

hello.
This is my second ac88u and the same problem.
The solution is easy but is very dissapointed.

I have a idea. its posible to make a script than check when the 4ports is down?. If i make a script by a domoticz, telegram, or similar i can shutdown (remove power) .

Hello.
I have the same issue.
The problem is on firmware, at least the Asus, I do not use Merlin.
The last firmware that works is 3.0.0.4.382_18991
The next firmware will no longer work (ports 5~8).
Even the last one 3.0.0.4.384.20379 does not work.
I had to downgrade to 3.0.0.4.382.18991 then had to restore to factory settings and set it my way.
I already contact Asus support and they said they will try to fix this on next update.
I will wait for it.

Yep. My 88U LAN ports 5-8 died a slow death. Everything else on the router works 100%.

I just got a gigabit switch and shuffled my Ethernet cables around!

All working well and no performance hit noticed.

Hi.
The last firmware 3.0.0.4.384.20942 works fine for this issue.
Thanks, Asus firmware developers.

Cheers for this - mine just died tonight (NAS no connection and my son's PC. Tried the power cycle and all good again for now. Hesitant to upgrade firmware from 3.0.0.4.380_7743 as every time I do my speed drops from around 350Mbit to 200 :/ - tried various firmware inc Merlins :(

Hi.
The last firmware 3.0.0.4.384.20942 works fine for this issue.
Thanks, Asus firmware developers.

Glad I checked on here, I'm having the same problem - ports 5-8 dead. I am on that firmware and they're still not working (I've had problems for a couple of months but hadn't twigged what it was but now tested by moving stuff cables around and it's definately 5-8 dead. Really annoying, I'll have to get on to Amazon to see if they're replace it (six months old)

Last edited:
I purchased the Asus rt-ac88u and updated firmware to 3.0.0.4.384_21045 a month ago and I'm having problems with ports 1 to 4. I have interruptions randomly. It could be within 18 seconds or up to 62 seconds and each last 5 seconds . I sent logs hoping Asus support could find out what is causing the problem but all I got from them is
"1. Please help verify if the customer is using the latest firmware
2 And suggest the customer to reset the router and setup everything from the initial setup again. DO NOT import previously saved CFG file.".
The only way I knew of the interruptions was my surveillance system. A camera in a room with the ceiling fan on showed five seconds pauses every so often. Swapping Ethernet cables and ports was the only way I knew it was happening. I don't know any other way that I could have noticed this.
Also tried this.
1) Turn off router
2) Unplug power
3) Turn it on to drain any leftover power
4) turn it back off
5) Plug back in, turn it on

Today they sent me a "Network Test report form". Information they needed was my troubleshooting, all devices and firmware, ISP company and speed. I hope they can fix this before a give up on it.

I had noticed for quite a few weeks that a couple of devices were not working at all, but I wasn't sure why. I tried different cables but that didn't help. I then (after a good few weeks of head scratching!) that some of the LAN ports may not be working, but thought that was odd as I didn't expect that to be a problem. When I looked at the status section of the Router web UI I could see that ports 5-8 were not connected, even though they were, so I then plugged in one of the devices that was working on a lower numbered port to 5, then 6 and so on, and for all that device was no longer connecting I then connected up the devices that had been playing up (one an IP TV reciever for example, which I had spent quite a while reflashing as I thought it was faulty!) to LAN4 and it was fine.

It was then that I googled LAN port issues on this device and found this thread and realised it was a known issue with some devices.

So basic elimination really. Just plug something you know is working into the other ports, plus look at the a status on the router main page to see how many are connected.

Having said all of that.......... I've just looked at mine again and it's showing only 1-4 working on the replacement router now! FFS! :mad:

I'll do more checking but I may just get a refund from Amazon and get another router. Frustrating though as I like Asus and the 8 ports is really handy.

I noticed on the firmware upgrade tab the signature version 2.074 updated on 2018/06/08 14.27
So this morning I clicked check and it updated to 2.076? However after I rebooted the router it went back to 2.074 and the firmware 3.0.0.4.384_21045-gb451ba1 stayed the same.
Anyone know what this signature version is?

So, I tried two RT-AC88U & 1 RT-AC86U and returned all three. the RT-AC86U was worse than the RT-AC88U's. I even tried the Merlin firmware with no luck. What a shame because I really liked the 8 ports and all of the neat features it had. Support was the worst.

I agree with the Asus support being useless. I contacted the and they just said it sounds like a bad unit and to get it replaced. I told them it is my second one, I only just got it and both have the same problem with this firmware. They said they weren't aware of anything and didn't offer any more help.

I'm finding that ports 5-8 are still sometimes working but not always, and they still always show as not connected on the status in the admin UI.

I'm mulling over whether to send it back for a refund and get a different router, but I do like having 8 ports and the control that the Asus' have.

Does Merlin's firmware support AImesh yet? I have a second router (RT-AC68U) that I use upstairs as an AImesh node. I guess I could always just use that in bridge mode

same issue occurred to me RT-AC88U on 384.7 , so i took off from wall, wait a minute and connected back on, all went back to normal, let see for how long...

Won’t be for long. On my unit ports 5>8 were up and down like a whore’s draws.

Dear All,

I've noticed the same issue. It took a while to realize that ports from 5 to 8 weren't working.. Damn!
It happened for the second time. On first occasion I just turned it off and on again and refreshed to actual FW – now (second occasion) I plugged it out as well and waited half a minute before plugging back and turning on.

By any chance has anyone either found a solution or received a declaration from Asus support regarding this case?

Dear All,

I've noticed the same issue. It took a while to realize that ports from 5 to 8 weren't working.. Damn!
It happened for the second time. On first occasion I just turned it off and on again and refreshed to actual FW – now (second occasion) I plugged it out as well and waited half a minute before plugging back and turning on.

By any chance has anyone either found a solution or received a declaration from Asus support regarding this case?

Haven't read the whole thread, but when was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

Thanks for your response. I don't feel like resetting a $ 250 router before trying other ways of troubleshooting. This is ridiculous. There are ISP and WiFi settings that I'd like to avoid doing from the scratch.
Furthermore no one has confirmed in this thread so far that it would lead to success. :(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!