What's new

RT-AC88U, 4 ports not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for your response. I don't feel like resetting a $ 250 router before trying other ways of troubleshooting. This is ridiculous. There are ISP and WiFi settings that I'd like to avoid doing from the scratch.
Furthermore no one has confirmed in this thread so far that it would lead to success. :(

Doesn't matter if it is a $20 or a $500 router, a full and proper reset to factory defaults is a requirement if you're experiencing random glitches that can't be fixed with a simple settings change or reboot.

It doesn't guarantee that it will fix anything, but if the issues stop, you can be sure that there was some funky interaction between what the router is currently using and doing with system variables and such and what the previous firmware(s) were doing with those same items.

Don't just take my word for it. See what our resident wizard says himself;

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

You can continue on what I view as a wild goose chase by not doing a full reset, but if your time is more valuable, it is always time well spent. Whether it fixes an issue or not.

Doesn't matter if it is a $20 or a $500 router, a full and proper reset to factory defaults is a requirement if you're experiencing random glitches that can't be fixed with a simple settings change or reboot.

It doesn't guarantee that it will fix anything, but if the issues stop, you can be sure that there was some funky interaction between what the router is currently using and doing with system variables and such and what the previous firmware(s) were doing with those same items.

Don't just take my word for it. See what our resident wizard says himself;

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

You can continue on what I view as a wild goose chase by not doing a full reset, but if your time is more valuable, it is always time well spent. Whether it fixes an issue or not.

I understand your point and as an IT admin I see that there's no other way to proceed.
However, from customer point of view what I'm going to do first of all is to give bad ratings for this router on every possible places to warn people who are looking for a robust, reliable router. Because this device certainly doesn't meet requirements of being reliable.

Reactions: thc
I understand your point and as an IT admin I see that there's no other way to proceed.
However, from customer point of view what I'm going to do first of all is to give bad ratings for this router on every possible places to warn people who are looking for a robust, reliable router. Because this device certainly doesn't meet requirements of being reliable.

The requirements of having a car be reliable are that it is serviced regularly and on a schedule.

Do you also give bad reviews for those purchases too?

The requirements of having a car be reliable are that it is serviced regularly and on a schedule.

Do you also give bad reviews for those purchases too?
And if the service happens to disconnect the battery I have to reset my radio! I'm suing!!!!

I have the same issue with my RT-AC88U. I tried all of the above but it came back. It is a good router but eventually, i decided to hook on a separate 24p switch as i was running out of ports anyways and the ports always went down at the most inconvenient time like when streaming a movie with Plex from the NAS or something.

Yep. That’s what I did when my ports 5-8 died a slow, lingering death. Apart from that the AC88U is running sweet. I now have it connected to my new AX88U as an access point.

And if the service happens to disconnect the battery I have to reset my radio! I'm suing!!!!

A better method would be to politely ask them to reset the radio for you. Much more efficient and less costly than having it reset via court proceedings. :p

Is there any way to reset the extra switch within the AC88 for ports 5-8? After all, if one restarts the AC88 router all ports start to work - so just reset of that extra switch might work if there is a way to do this? Would save me from upgrading to AX88 or AC86+external switch...

Is there any way to reset the extra switch within the AC88 for ports 5-8? After all, if one restarts the AC88 router all ports start to work - so just reset of that extra switch might work if there is a way to do this? Would save me from upgrading to AX88 or AC86+external switch...

Maybe this is something that @Jack Yaz and scMerlin can help out with? :)

Honestly, you can buy a decent switch for little money which will get rid of the problem for once and for all. What is the point of finding out that port 5-8 is down again when something doesn't work and then have to go and reset the router or switch? Personally, i just want stuff to work consistently which is why i downgraded my AC88u to an access point and got a wired router and switch in the first place. After a learning curve, everything is running rock-solid without any hassle.

Hello again.
I have a tasmota plug and im thinking if its posible to switch off the tasmota and power on automatically after 1 min. This is a solution for this problem :)

But i have a question, its posible with a script to know if the switch is down???. Any command that i can run to know this?
After this i can automate with mi domoticz system the reboot its easy

Hello again.
I have a tasmota plug and im thinking if its posible to switch off the tasmota and power on automatically after 1 min. This is a solution for this problem :)

But i have a question, its posible with a script to know if the switch is down???. Any command that i can run to know this?
After this i can automate with mi domoticz system the reboot its easy
There's no way to tell other than pinging device(s) which are connected to the 4 ports which occasionally go down.

hello allz,

i just bought that router too 5 days ago and have the same issue. thanks to your experience, it's working back but i won't keep it.
does someone knows if the RT-AX88u has the same issue ?
thank you

hello allz,

i just bought that router too 5 days ago and have the same issue. thanks to your experience, it's working back but i won't keep it.
does someone knows if the RT-AX88u has the same issue ?
thank you

I don't know about the RT-AX88u but i do know that the RT-AC88u had a bunch of issues and where it was running fine in the beginning, more issues arose with firmware updates, the port-issue, log-flooding , etc... which eventually made me degrade it to an access point and actually looking to replace it with a Cisco. In my view, still best to use a simple unmanaged switch if you need more than 4 ports.

I don't know about the RT-AX88u but i do know that the RT-AC88u had a bunch of issues and where it was running fine in the beginning, more issues arose with firmware updates, the port-issue, log-flooding , etc... which eventually made me degrade it to an access point and actually looking to replace it with a Cisco. In my view, still best to use a simple unmanaged switch if you need more than 4 ports.

hello,

i swapped dit today with the RT-ax88u and i'll come back if any issue.

Got the same issue a week ago. Finally I had time today for troubleshooting, disconnecting from power adapter for 1 min helped to get ports 5-8 working again. However it's a bad sign anyway:(

Yep. Pretty much certain that’s a temporary fix. Happens to me. Thought it was fixed then not.

I have to say though. I still have the AC88U set as an AiMesh node to my AX88U master. It still works absolutely fine with the exception of the last four ports unusable.

Just buy a network switch. Obviously it shouldn’t have happened in the first place but I sure ain’t scraping it just for that. Not when you can pick up switches ’as cheap as chips’. [emoji3]

Got the same issue a week ago. Finally I had time today for troubleshooting, disconnecting from power adapter for 1 min helped to get ports 5-8 working again. However it's a bad sign anyway:(

Well, in the time i used the AC88U i did not see any firmware update passing by that fixed the problem so it is very likely to re-occur. In the 5 years i had it in service, it happened several times to me before i got fed up and demoted it to an access point until i replaced it with a Cisco WAP571.

I've had the port issue a couple of times requiring reboot but also have it where the ports are working but router shows them as unplugged

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!