What's new

RT-AC88U Can it use multiple wan static ip addresses?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pelfed

New Around Here
Greetings.

I have the AC88U router ( currently on the default firmware ).

I would like to be able to set up the router to allow multi Wan ( similar to Draytek ) as I have 8 static wan IP addresses available from my provider.

Is this possible with the wrt-merlin firmware?

You want to have 8 WAN connections to an RT-AC88U, or you want to assign static addresses from your ISP to the RT-AC88U's clients?

You want to have 8 WAN connections to an RT-AC88U, or you want to assign static addresses from your ISP to the RT-AC88U's clients?
Hi - I would like to assign isp static addresses to certain clients if possible.

You should be able to do it through the web UI on LAN -> DHCP Server -> Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list.

I've never tried to assign publicly routable IPs there, so let us know if you have trouble. I suspect even if it works it won't work the way you expect as the router will still be performing NAT, but it's worth a try.

I don't have the AC88U, so I don't know if this will work, but I use the following method to pick up a second IP from my provider if I am testing a new router or other internet equipment and need an ISP provided address.

LAN->IPTV

Then in "Choose IPTV STB Port", select which LAN port to use. Hit apply. Once the router reboots, any equipment plugged into that LAN port gets a IP direct from my ISP. In my case, my ISP uses DHCP. Not sure if this will work with a static IP assignment. You may have to do some additional scripting to bring up the interface with a set IP (Merlin stuff).

Might be able to configure the devices themselves with a static IP and route everything on the 88U straight through to those IPs.

Might be able to configure the devices themselves with a static IP and route everything on the 88U straight through to those IPs.
Without being able to configure his multiple IP addresses on his WAN interface no internet traffic (for those extra addresses) is ever going to reach the router. That's not possible with stock Asus firmware. He might be able to script it in Merlin and then create some 1:1 NAT rules. I think there was another thread asking about this recently.

EDIT: Have a look at this. It could probably be adapted for Merlin. https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/One-to-one_NAT

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!