What's new

RT-AC88U issue; I can put it into recovery mode but I cannot access it

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gregory Phillips

Very Senior Member
Gentlemen I am here to consult with your wisdom on this matter. We had a severe thunderstorm earlier, everything is on a surge protector and apc with AVR, however, a lightning strike close to the house caused a massive surge that tripped all of our apc's while making the lights flicker. While this was going on I was online watching a show which continued on for a few seconds and then froze up.

When I went to check on the router I noticed that the WAN light was red so no big deal I'll just reboot it. Rebooted the router and when it came back up the WAN light was still red and all radio lights are out. I tried resetting it and that didn't work as when it came back up the WAN was still read and I couldn't connect to the GUI.

Then I tried putting it into recovery mode. The power light will go into a slow blink, however, once I manually set my IP address to 192.168.1.10 I cannot connect with either a web browser or the restoration utility. I tried for well over an hour to connect to it and finally gave up and just unplugged it.

I'm going to let it sit overnight unplugged and try it again in the morning. Amazon has them on sale right now for $229 so I might have to buy another one in the morning and just upload my saved settings. What do you guys think?

Gentlemen I am here to consult with your wisdom on this matter. We had a severe thunderstorm earlier, everything is on a surge protector and apc with AVR, however, a lightning strike close to the house caused a massive surge that tripped all of our apc's while making the lights flicker. While this was going on I was online watching a show which continued on for a few seconds and then froze up.

When I went to check on the router I noticed that the WAN light was red so no big deal I'll just reboot it. Rebooted the router and when it came back up the WAN light was still red and all radio lights are out. I tried resetting it and that didn't work as when it came back up the WAN was still read and I couldn't connect to the GUI.

Then I tried putting it into recovery mode. The power light will go into a slow blink, however, once I manually set my IP address to 192.168.1.10 I cannot connect with either a web browser or the restoration utility. I tried for well over an hour to connect to it and finally gave up and just unplugged it.

I'm going to let it sit overnight unplugged and try it again in the morning. Amazon has them on sale right now for $229 so I might have to buy another one in the morning and just upload my saved settings. What do you guys think?

Mjoinir.jpg

Hammer AC88U. AC88U sucks. How about AC86U + 5 or 8 port switch? AC88U is usually $189~199.

I wouldn't give up just yet. Assuming it is the same as my ac68u, then there is a big difference between a slow blink and a fast blink. The fact that you can get either means there is hope.

I'd have to look it up, to remember which blink is which, but did you push and hold the reset button or the WPS button?

Reset button to place it in recovery mode only I cannot access it to do anything with it. I'm going to see what it does in the morning after its completely deenergized overnight.

If Dr McCoy were evaluating this unit he'd say "she's dead Jim". I tried it again and the WAN port glows red when fed a signal from another source and the radios are still dead. Going to order a new unit later this morning and am forced to AT&T vdsl in the meantime.

Edit: I tried plugging directly into the cm1000 cable modem and its dead too so we had to order another one as well. I'll have both later on today thanks to amazon prime and two dc's in town.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info but the ports are dead on both units and I've got new units arriving later today to remedy the problem.

New units installed and running great and old units went into the garbage can.

I think they're happy with their new home at the landfill. I'm happy with working gear. :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!