What's new

RT-AC88u Ring doorbell

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MAC Associated Authorized RSSI Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
00:1D:C9:19:9E:8C Yes Yes -60dBm 1M 24M 202:22:26

Interesting as yours are reversed...

Anyways I strongly do not believe UPNP or port forwarding are necessary for ring to work unless you have a special need.

MAC Associated Authorized RSSI Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
00:1D:C9:19:9E:8C Yes Yes -60dBm 1M 24M 202:22:26

Interesting as yours are reversed...

Anyways I strongly do not believe UPNP or port forwarding are necessary for ring to work unless you have a special need.

Yeah only exploring that option as it isnt working as is.

Its always good to follow the KISS principle esp when trouble shooting...
Yeah not sure what else to try. Have got a support job logged with ring and asus still.
Very strange as it works on the sagemcomm out of the box. Pity the sagemcomm is a crap router otherwise.

Yeah not sure what else to try. Have got a support job logged with ring and asus still.
Very strange as it works on the sagemcomm out of the box. Pity the sagemcomm is a crap router otherwise.

You are having it use 2.4? My suggestion if you can is to set the router to defaults and see.

Already tried defaults same results. The doorbell only supports 2.4ghz
I know it only supports 2.4 I was just asking to make sure you were not trying otherwise.
It works grand with my 87U so maybe there is something with the 88U.

@Dfp - I just installed a Ring Video doorbell and chime and had no issues with initiating and maintaining a connection to either device. my RT88u has Upnp disabled and no ports are forwarded. I also am using default firewall rules with no IPv6 setup.
Are you running QOS? I noticed after starting QOS my dlink wifi cameras no longer provided a picture, but the GUI would be available. Once I did a factory reset without enabling QOS my cameras have been working fine. Perhaps that is your issue?

I can only speak of this brand.. But if the doorbell is stolen they replace it for free. You just need a copy of the police report. I also did not realize until reading the blow again that it only covers 1 replacement from theft. Also should be noted hardware warranty is 1 year.

Here is their theft warranty:

II. PURCHASE PROTECTION
If your Ring™ Video Doorbell is stolen at any time after your purchase, Bot Home Automation, Inc. will replace your Ring™ Video Doorbell at no charge to you. This purchase protection is not transferrable and applies only to the original consumer purchaser. Coverage of this purchase protection is limited to one (1) replacement only for each Ring™ Video Doorbell that you have purchased.

Any claim based on theft of your Ring™ Video Doorbell must be submitted within fifteen (15) days of the theft and include the original sales receipt, and a copy of a police report evidencing that you reported the theft to the police. Failure to report the theft to police voids this purchase protection

Last edited:
I can only speak of this brand.. But if the doorbell is stolen they replace it for free. You just need a copy of the police report.
I have heard that but I would love to know if it is really as good as a warranty as it seems. Will most police departments write a police report on a $200.00 item?

I have heard that but I would love to know if it is really as good as a warranty as it seems. Will most police departments write a police report on a $200.00 item?
I would hope so... theft is theft whether it is your car, bike, wallet, or doorbell

@Dfp - I just installed a Ring Video doorbell and chime and had no issues with initiating and maintaining a connection to either device. my RT88u has Upnp disabled and no ports are forwarded. I also am using default firewall rules with no IPv6 setup.
Are you running QOS? I noticed after starting QOS my dlink wifi cameras no longer provided a picture, but the GUI would be available. Once I did a factory reset without enabling QOS my cameras have been working fine. Perhaps that is your issue?

Yeah no QoS disabled. A few people have told me to disable some of the NAT passthroughs but havent had any joy of that either.

Yeah no QoS disabled. A few people have told me to disable some of the NAT passthroughs but havent had any joy of that either.

next question... wired or wireless for power? it seems that with wireless power the device goes into sleep mode, or a low power state that temporarily disconnects from the router. the chime is always present, but that is because it has a/c power and doesn't need to conserve.

so far I have not missed an event, but at times the doorbell appears to be disconnected

I had similar issues with a wireless thermostat. Changing to use 20Mhz for the 2.4Ghz band seemed to fix the drops. It didn't seem to like the 40Mhz. The weird thing is I literally have no interference whatsoever in my area to cause issues on 40Mhz. and everything else that used 40Mhz worked fine. Once I changed to 20Mhz the thermostat never dropped again.

I had similar issues with a wireless thermostat. Changing to use 20Mhz for the 2.4Ghz band seemed to fix the drops. It didn't seem to like the 40Mhz. The weird thing is I literally have no interference whatsoever in my area to cause issues on 40Mhz. and everything else that used 40Mhz worked fine. Once I changed to 20Mhz the thermostat never dropped again.

I tried your suggestion and after 10 minutes the device dropped out of sight on the network map. although when encountering motion or a press of the button the device does what it is supposed to do. I am going to call ring support and confirm my suspicion that the doorbell goes into a low power state while on battery for conservation purposes

I assume it goes into a sleep mode, my thermostat does the same thing. Though every 5 minutes it checks in with my SmartThings Hub to see if it needs to change mode or temperatures. Then at night, when i put it in "sleep mode" it sets the temperature and goes offline until its directed to "wake."

I assume it goes into a sleep mode, my thermostat does the same thing. Though every 5 minutes it checks in with my SmartThings Hub to see if it needs to change mode or temperatures. Then at night, when i put it in "sleep mode" it sets the temperature and goes offline until its directed to "wake."

now things get strange... the folks at ring can see the doorbell is online, yet the RT88U network map doesn't. not until I activate the bell with either motion or a button push does it show in the network map.

I guess since it is working when necessary, I will put my tinfoil hat back in its box and worry about the next conspiracy to come my way

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!