What's new

RT-AC88u Ring doorbell

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

now things get strange... the folks at ring can see the doorbell is online, yet the RT88U network map doesn't. not until I activate the bell with either motion or a button push does it show in the network map.

I guess since it is working when necessary, I will put my tinfoil hat back in its box and worry about the next conspiracy to come my way

Putting the hat back on, why do the folks at ring need to see your doorbell is connected in the first place?

My guess is since they have more things they can adjust then they allow the owners as well as software updates.

My guess is since they have more things they can adjust then they allow the owners as well as software updates.

Not a reason for them to have access to video and audio of your (literal) front door. :rolleyes:

Not a reason for them to have access to video and audio of your (literal) front door. :rolleyes:

I am not sure they have access to that. Where did you see they do? I will surely give them a concerned call if this is correct.

P.S. Just did a chat with them and they say they do not unless a user gives them access.

Last edited:
I am not sure they have access to that. Where did you see they do? I will surely give them a concerned call if this is correct.

P.S. Just did a chat with them and they say they do not unless a user gives them access.

And what does the user do to give them access? Say 'okay'?

This doesn't seem right at all.

The user pastes a "share URL" to their support. They tell me everything is encrypted, transmission and stored". If what they tell me is true I see no issues.

The user pastes a "share URL" to their support. They tell me everything is encrypted, transmission and stored". If what they tell me is true I see no issues.

If they can see the doorbell connected on their end they don't need the 'share URL' to see anything else it does.

I see issues, YMMV.

If they can see the doorbell connected on their end they don't need the 'share URL' to see anything else it does.

I see issues, YMMV.

I believe they can see only the settings to make adjustments and only to that. The video and audio is something else. The video and audio is not stored on the doorbell.
Just because one has access to sensor settings does not necessarily mean access to the entire device.

I believe they can see only the settings to make adjustments and only to that. The video and audio is something else. The video and audio is not stored on the doorbell.
Just because one has access to sensor settings does not necessarily mean access to the entire device.

It doesn't need to be stored on the doorbell to be turned on and streaming.

Access to the sensor settings is access to the entire device.

Sorry, not trying to scare you. Just don't understand the need for such a device with such obvious security limitations (in my view).

No
It doesn't need to be stored on the doorbell to be turned on and streaming.

Access to the sensor settings is access to the entire device.

Sorry, not trying to scare you. Just don't understand the need for such a device with such obvious security limitations (in my view).

No worries I am not scared. You assume quite a lot. I am also assuming a lot. From what I know so far of this device I am not seeing the "obvious security limitations" you are. I do believe access to some of the sensors does not infer ALL the sensors.

We can go back and forth over these things for ages.. I suggest we just leave it as it is. During my chat with them earlier it was indicated someone from there might chime in here. Time will tell.

I have no issue leaving this 'as is'. I don't have this installed at my premises. :)

Our conversation did finally make me go to the website. It did nothing to assuage my feelings for products like this.

I am going to deviate a little.

I am more concerned with all the devices with SNMP and even more the default community string as well as SNMP injection, etc etc. Last I looked brother line of printers had PUBLIC hard coded. So if one was to change the community string a lot of the monitoring was broke.

Its been a few years since I was involved with OID stuff. Please don't tell me community string for asus routers is the common default and no way to change it?

Last edited:
I've tried the new 9 firmware as well as latest merlin still no go even on factory default settings. There is obviously a considerable incompatibility between the ring doorbell and the rt-ac88u.

Have spoken to ring support and they also couldnt get anywhere with the router.

The doorbell works awesome on a sagemcomm router but trying to go to this more decent router.

Looks like back to change the asus back to a WAP to continue using the doorbell :(

I don't know if this has been tried yet (I didn't re-read the whole thread), but things that might help client compatibility is to disable beamforming support, and also limit the Modulation Scheme (under wireless -> Professional) to standard modes (i.e. don't use Turbo/NitroQAM).

I don't know if this has been tried yet (I didn't re-read the whole thread), but things that might help client compatibility is to disable beamforming support, and also limit the Modulation Scheme (under wireless -> Professional) to standard modes (i.e. don't use Turbo/NitroQAM).

Thanks Rmerlin, yeah it works via wifi if another router is doing the routing and the asus is providing the wifi. So it seems like its related to a routing issue more so than wifi

Thanks Rmerlin, yeah it works via wifi if another router is doing the routing and the asus is providing the wifi. So it seems like its related to a routing issue more so than wifi
Have you found a solution? I am having the exact same experience with my RT-AC87U (with and without the merlin firmware). If i use it in AP mode with my bell fibreop router, it works, but if not, then I have no video from the doorbell! All bone stock settings. I have security cameras covering the area, but I like to be able to talk to people at the door.

Hello, I am using it with no issues with my rt-ac87u. Pretty much stock settings less beam forwarding. Since I use MAC address filtering I just had to allow the doorbell MAC and good to go. If you would like to compare settings just let me know. BTW are you using the new one that supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz or the original one that supports just 2.4GHz?

Running the latest non beta ASUS FW.

Last edited:
Hello, I am using it with no issues with my rt-ac87u. Pretty much stock settings less beam forwarding. Since I use MAC address filtering I just had to allow the doorbell MAC and good to go. If you would like to compare settings just let me know. BTW are you using the new one that supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz or the original one that supports just 2.4GHz?

Running the latest non beta ASUS FW.
I have the vanilla 2.4GHz only ring. I'm on latest merlin, but have tried flashing the latest asus, with the same results. My settings are largely unchanged, and the only notable setting that differs between when I use as a router and as an AP is the fact that I connect it to a VLAN for my fibre box. I suspect something to do with routing as the ring connects, and when the ASUS is used as just an AP it has video/audio, but when It's the ASUS doing the routing video ceases. This is peculiar to me because I have another IOT style camera, as well as some security cameras that function beautifully on the same network!
I really would appreciate if I could compare settings, because I've had an expensive doorbell for months that hasn't functioned properly!

asus-gen.JPG
asus-prof.JPG

Let me know if you need anything else and if this helps.

Does it show in your DHCP leases and wireless log?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!