What's new

RT-AC88U Version 3.0.0.4.384.10007

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AI Protection don't work at all with torrents, when downloading 20-30 torrents, cpu1 goes to 100%, cpu2 - 20%, IPTV lags, freeze, time out, the good thing of AI is stopping some malicious sites nothing all.

Thanks! I had no idea. I torrent often, should I just disable aI?

Stopping malicious sites is nice I guess but there are already many layers against that threat.

1.) Any reason I really should do a full reset, barring issues arising with router performance?

Merlin has a great post somewhere where he describes the value in doing a full reset after installing a major firmware update.

Thanks! I had no idea. I torrent often, should I just disable aI?

Stopping malicious sites is nice I guess but there are already many layers against that threat.

Stopped, its make huge mess when torrenting.

I finished the upgrade and immediately all my kids lost internet access. Seems like time scheduling is borked in this build... another case of 1 step forward and _ steps back?

as soon as time scheduling is disabled all is well

My case with this release is that 5Ghz drops after some time and SSID dissappears... Also WebGUI after 20-30 minues becomes inaccessible (WebGUI issue was present for me on 382.xxxx branch too)
I had to rollback to a previous release on the 380 branch to get all my LAN stable

I finished the upgrade and immediately all my kids lost internet access. Seems like time scheduling is borked in this build... another case of 1 step forward and _ steps back?

as soon as time scheduling is disabled all is well
Good afternoon friend! I also had this same problem with my RT-AC88u in this firmware, I managed to solve disabling nat acceleration, for me solved.

This firmware working excellent for me no issues at all. 5 days uptime.

[QUOTE = "captblaze, post: 370779, member: 45863"] obrigado pela solução para um problema que não experimentei até 2 de janeiro. [/ QUOTE]
You're welcome ! I also did not have this problem at first, it appeared after I reset my router.

well it got stranger last night when I went back to 382_18991 firmware. all my wireless apple clients couldn't maintain a connection for longer than 60 seconds. as my frustration grew, I decided to get some rest and try again in the morning. morning comes and I have the bright idea to upgrade the firmware again. had to do it manually, and when I rebooted the router... I was presented with the mini server page. I chose the option to do an NVRAM purge and now my apple clients are stable.

For anyone with knowledge, did I do the right thing? I mean obviously I achieved a positive result, but what actually triggers that to present instead of the normal GUI?

UPDATE:

well I do believe this new firmware has caused a bit of harm... I never had such wild swing in CPU cycles as I am experiencing now and it is causing mayhem with my Wi-Fi clients connection. I am going to seek help from ASUS, but I am long past any warranty protection.

asus cpu graph.JPG

Last edited:
Have you tried reflashing (again), clearing the NVRAM (use the Initialize option in the System page), and then doing a hard power cycle?

[QUOTE = "captblaze, post: 371068, member: 45863"]
Bem, ficou estranho na noite passada quando voltei para o firmware 382_18991. Todos os meus clientes sem fio da Apple não conseguiram manter uma conexão por mais de 60 segundos. À medida que minha frustração crescia, eu decidi descansar e tentar de novo pela manhã. Chega a manhã e tenho a idéia brilhante de atualizar o firmware novamente. teve que fazê-lo manualmente e, quando eu reiniciava o roteador ... eu fui apresentado com a página do mini servidor. Eu escolhi a opção de fazer uma purga de NVRAM e agora meus clientes de maçã são estáveis.

Para quem tem conhecimento, eu fiz o que é certo? Quero dizer, obviamente, consegui um resultado positivo, mas o que realmente desencadeia isso para apresentar em vez da GUI normal?

ATUALIZAR:

Bem, eu acredito que este novo firmware causou um pequeno dano ... Nunca tive um movimento tão selvagem nos ciclos de CPU quanto estou experimentando agora e está causando caos com minha conexão de clientes Wi-Fi. Eu vou procurar ajuda da ASUS, mas há muito tempo além de qualquer proteção de garantia.

[ATTACH = cheio] 11529 [/ ATTACH] [/ QUOTE]
well it got stranger last night when I went back to 382_18991 firmware. all my wireless apple clients couldn't maintain a connection for longer than 60 seconds. as my frustration grew, I decided to get some rest and try again in the morning. morning comes and I have the bright idea to upgrade the firmware again. had to do it manually, and when I rebooted the router... I was presented with the mini server page. I chose the option to do an NVRAM purge and now my apple clients are stable.

For anyone with knowledge, did I do the right thing? I mean obviously I achieved a positive result, but what actually triggers that to present instead of the normal GUI?

UPDATE:

well I do believe this new firmware has caused a bit of harm... I never had such wild swing in CPU cycles as I am experiencing now and it is causing mayhem with my Wi-Fi clients connection. I am going to seek help from ASUS, but I am long past any warranty protection.

View attachment 11529
Good afternoon! I think it did not cause any damage, I already had this type of error in previous firmware, but the core that was overloaded in my case was the core 2. I solved this by doing a reset, updating and resetting and configuring zero.

This firmware is deeply, deeply broken for Media Bridge use.

-The configuration menu does not have you set an Admin password like it's supposed to. As a result the unit just resets to the initial configuration menu over and over again.

-So you have to configure a different mode first, like AP mode, and then shift to Media Bridge mode.

-At which point the shift fails, because Smart Connect prevents the discovery of APs around you.

-So you cut off Smart Connect and you can finally see the network you want to connect to.

-You connect, the unit resets into media bridge mode, and you log back into a unit that has a failed connection.

-It reports SNR and Symbol Rate, but it also says it's disconnected and fails to move any actual data. It's like some sort of zombie connection where it's communicating, but failing to move any data.

-It also doesn't disable the second unneeded radio like it's supposed to.

There is no way this firmware saw unit testing or QA testing for Media Bridge mode.

Lately I've noticed that my GUI is becoming sluggish if I allow it to run without a daily reboot so I've reenabled the boot scheduler for every morning to clear it out. Once it reboots it is snappy plus I've been having an issue with a client that is being denied internet access on any adapter it tries to use.

It starts out connected but after a short while it gets cut off unless I reboot it. I've tried clearing out networking on it and flushing the settings but the problem persists. I even installed a new ethernet card but it behaves the same way as the existing one and the wireless card too.

Edit: I'm almost positive it was the router blocking the client so I've added a static IP to them to see if it makes a difference. Also settings that I've cleared out of the syslog have mysteriously returned after the router lost its connection to the modem. When it reconnected and I saw the logs I power cycled it but they remain even after clearing them.

Last edited:
Confirm the GUI is sluggish, sometimes open half of the GUI, missing elements and this after i did full reset (clear nvram) and setup router again.

Adding a static route seems to have stopped the issue with the one client. They are the only one with this issue and I even added a new intel ethernet adapter card to it and it still did the same thing until I added the static route. This happens with wireless, the stock ethernet port and the intel card which had me completely baffled.

Resetting the network didn't stop it nor did flushing the tcp/ip settings or the winsock. I checked for corrupt system files and none were found, looked for malware using norton, malwarebytes and spybot which turned up nothing but low level entries. If I leave the router running without a reboot and without assigning a static IP to this client it gets dropped repeatedly irrespective of which network adapter its using.

Edit: I just performed a factory reset which will hopefully clear this issue up for me.

Last edited:
Update: IPsec vpn server don't work, even tried impossible to get it work.
OpenVPN server needs to update:

Fri Jan 12 15:21:03 2018 WARNING: --ns-cert-type is DEPRECATED. Use --remote-cert-tls instead.
WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this

Last edited:
I've noticed that with this firmware if you hit the check for firmware update button it will run for a short while then present you with both a check and update firmware buttons even though the firmware being offered is the same version as you are running. I know this because I tried it and sure enough it reinstalled the same firmware it was running when before it would tell you that no new firmware is available.

Last edited:
Confirm the GUI is sluggish, sometimes open half of the GUI, missing elements and this after i did full reset (clear nvram) and setup router again.
True, but it can be fixed by simply reloading the browser.

Meanwhile reenabled AIProtection and disabled Smartconnect. Still very stable after nvram reset.
Wireless connection is even faster without Smartconnect.
I'm happy again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!