What's new

RT-AC88U Version 3.0.0.4.384.10007

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just use my 3100 for basic routing but this firmware has been rock solid for me. Been running since the day of release and no issues at all with anything. Strange how some have problems and others do not.

Web UI is fast and snappy no speed slow downs and the CPU and memory are right were it should be.

Installed without reset.
Airtime fairness disabled to be sure streaming devices are detected well.
After one hour streaming is bad again. Youtube switching to 144p. Other streams stopping or choped.
Device discovery slow.
Then disabled " reduce USB3.0 interference" and streaming was ok for 2 hours.
Now bad again. I'm not sure which setting might be the problem. I changed nothing else, and i have no problem with 380 august firmware.

Edit: Router menu client list shows all 10 active devices, after seconds only 5, then only the one i'm logged into the router and after seconds most of the devices appear again. Seems like the router loses the ip connection to the devices intermittent. But why?

I have noticed 3.0.0.4.384.10007 its slower listing devices connected.
I need to roolback firmware since parental control wont work correctly again after update, even appling all workarounds of reset, Block kids devices wrongly.

Hello all,

So far so good after 5 days of running after doing the firmware upgrade. No reboots and all yet.. Just left AIProtection running as well which was off for me in the past. However in logs, not sure why i keep getting this though

Jan 14 12:32:11 lldpd[378]: unable to get system name
Jan 14 12:35:31 lldpd[378]: unable to get system name
Jan 14 12:38:51 lldpd[378]: unable to get system name
Jan 14 12:42:11 lldpd[378]: unable to get system name

IPSec does not work from my Android 7 phone. It says "connecting", on router I can see enabled(1), but that is where it ends.
OpenVPN works fine though (even TAP/TCP mode).

Log:
Jan 14 13:30:55 05[IKE] 46.xxx.xxx.xxx is initiating a Main Mode IKE_SA

well my confidence in ASUS is diminishing rapidly. I have followed all their instructions including sending syslog files and screen captures of different events. I was even assigned a handler. It seems that they cant find my syslog or the attachments even though I used their web portal to submit the items (along with a lengthy description of my issue). In the last few days I have received calls updating me and asking me to submit syslog. funny thing is.... I sent them already and have confirmation from their own web portal.

I explained this to my handler and he went to "check" on something and then... we got disconnected. Haven't heard from him since and so my plight of the firmware that killed a perfectly good functioning router continues. This post is far from a cry for sympathy. It is just a bit of info for those you who own these devices as to what to expect when you get in touch with ASUS tech support.

I have reconfigured a Netgear X6 sitting in storage and it working fine other than I had to add a switch to accommodate the extra connections that the X6 doesn't support. Ironic how the router I replaced for the 88U has been put back in service because of the 88U failing after a firmware upgrade. I shelved the X6 in favor of the 88U because the 88U had more ports and granular control of clients where the X6 does not.

Rant over...

Since a few days my wifi is dropping signal... Seems like it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.. hopefully a downgrade will fix this

btw, few days running this firmware and so far it seems to be stable in my case....

IPSec does not work from my Android 7 phone. It says "connecting", on router I can see enabled(1), but that is where it ends.
OpenVPN works fine though (even TAP/TCP mode).

Log:
Jan 14 13:30:55 05[IKE] 46.xxx.xxx.xxx is initiating a Main Mode IKE_SA

Yes IPsec VPN server don't work I hope will be fixed in next release. I tried connection according to Asus tutorial, windows client, some other clients, turn off firewalls, and a lot of other things, no luck.

Yes IPsec VPN server don't work I hope will be fixed in next release. I tried connection according to Asus tutorial, windows client, some other clients, turn off firewalls, and a lot of other things, no luck.
I've just tested it successfully with an Android phone selecting IPSec Xauth PSK as type in the android vpn configuration.

I've just tested it successfully with an Android phone selecting IPSec Xauth PSK as type in the android vpn configuration.

On Windows machine can't connect! Tested it on android, no luck either

Last edited:
Re: IPSec / VPN - it started to work after I made my PSK key shorter.

My wireless problems with new firmware are finally fixed:

After upgrading to 3.0.0.4.384.10007 and still having trouble i did the following:

- Saved all router-settings for security (backup)

- Wiped NVRAM (Full factory reset)

(Updated HowTo from a user here)
"Telnet to your router"
1. Say if its using 192.168.1.1 for its address
2. Enable Telnet in router settings (administration -> system) and save
3. Enable Telnet client service in Windows (Apps & Features -> Programs and features -> Activate or deactivate Windows features -> select Telnet client checkbox - OK)
4. Go to start/run type "cmd" press enter
5. Type "Telnet 192.168.1.1" press enter
6. The login is "root" (if possible) or your "username" the password is whatever you set the password for the router.
7*. After login type mtd-erase2 nvram
8. Now type reboot
9. Wait about 4 minutes, the SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz will appear (ASUS_xyG).

(*ARM-based routers might use mtd-erase -d nvram instead of mtd-erase2 nvram)

- Setup RT-AC88U with Setup wizard
1. Connected to the Asus_2.4G wireless network, the browser took me to Setup-Wizard
2. Followed the steps with the wizard (ISP, new username + password), didn't select any checkboxes for seperate SSIDs at Wifi-settings (only WPA2-Security and one SSID for both networks)
I restored no settings-backup.
After the setup i changed nothing in the Asus settings menu
, except disable "Airtime fairness" for 2.4 and 5GHz in Asus' Wireless-Professional tab, to have stable Audio-Streamingdevice detection (Chromecasts, Sonos,..).
I noticed Smart Connect is enabled by default, and i changed not a single Smart Connect rule setting. Fortunately it works out of the box!
3. Manually assigned IPs for my audio streaming clients and NAS in LAN-Settings (DHCP server).
4. Unplugged Asus router & modem for 10 seconds, rebooted PCs, smartphones and all other devices. Had to reset my Wifi settings on my printer to reconnect, don't know why, but worked.

- Router works without any problem
1. Speedtest constantly maxed at 75Mbit/sec up & down (= maximum speed)
2. Youtube and other video streaming services work, no connection drop or quality drift to 144p
3. My Audio streaming devices are detected instantly, and play music without problems
4. RAM at 113MB and CPU at 4%
5. Hardware acceleration enabled by default and seems to work
5. Clients list shows all active devices without interupts

6. Smart Connect works out of the box
7. Haven't activated AiProtection yet, i'm afraid it might be the one last thing to mess my router up again. ×

Hope it helps others,
Pappl

I also had problems with the two previous firmware versions and I was encouraged by your post to upgrade from 3.0.0.4.380.7743. Your step-by-step instructions worked for my router as well however when I enable the guest network (tried only the 2.4GHz ones) it crashes all wi-fi communication. Does this happen to anyone else?

Last edited:
Jan 23 14:48:26 rc_service: httpds 4654:notify_rc ipsec_stop
Jan 23 14:49:09 rc_service: httpds 4654:notify_rc ipsec_start
Jan 23 14:49:10 ipsec_starter[31517]: Starting weakSwan 5.2.1 IPsec [starter]...
Jan 23 14:49:10 ipsec_starter[31532]: charon has quit: initialization failed
Jan 23 14:49:10 ipsec_starter[31532]: charon refused to be started
Jan 23 14:49:10 ipsec_starter[31532]: ipsec starter stopped

The IPsec VPN server has some issues in this firmware release.

Jan 23 14:49:10 ipsec_starter[31517]: Starting weakSwan 5.2.1 IPsec [starter]...

Could you send your email to me by PM ?

Try running this over SSH:

Code:
/usr/lib/ipsec/starter --debug --nofork

It should provide more information as to what is failing.

I haven't tested Asus's 384_10007, but my own firmware based on that version is working on my own RT-AC88U and I don't remember having made any fix to StrongSWAN (mostly just optimizations), so it might be just a configuration issue.

This build still has the defective AC88U 5GHz Wi-Fi driver. In Router mode it will work for a random amount of time that can range from hours to days and then finally explodes with packet loss and in turn a significant latency increase.

You'll see degradation in YouTube videos. Gaming will report a significant latency increase and you'll start to notice the "warping" caused by packet loss. Downloading files take a throughput hit. You can validate with a quick ping to the default gateway and discover that you have incredibly variable latency to the gateway. In my case it can scale well into the 400ms range.

Resetting the router or toggling the 5GHz radio off and back on fixes it. The problem started with the 382 branch and continues to persist into this latest 384 build.

I have seen this problem consistently for months in Router Mode, meanwhile Media Bridge mode does NOT have this problem.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!