What's new

RT-AC88U Version 3.0.0.4.384.10007

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This build still has the defective AC88U 5GHz Wi-Fi driver. It works for a random amount of time that can range from hours to days and then finally explodes with packet loss and in turn a significant latency increase.

It's very noticeable when it happens. You'll see degradation in YouTube videos. Gaming will report a significant latency increase and you'll start to notice the "warping" caused by packet loss. Downloading files take a throughput hit. You can validate with a quick ping to the default gateway and discover that you have incredibly variable latency to the gateway. In my case it can scale well into the 400ms range.

Resetting the router or toggling the 5GHz radio off and back on fixes it. The problem started with the 382 branch and continues to persist into this latest 384 build.

I had over 15 days of uptime on my own RT-AC88U without any wireless issue. Did you try the usual recommendations (disable MU-MIMO, Implicit Beamforming and Airtime Fairness), and using a different channel?

Try running this over SSH:

Code:
/usr/lib/ipsec/starter --debug --nofork

It should provide more information as to what is failing.

I haven't tested Asus's 384_10007, but my own firmware based on that version is working on my own RT-AC88U and I don't remember having made any fix to StrongSWAN (mostly just optimizations), so it might be just a configuration issue.

Code:
expanding file pattern '/etc/strongswan.d/charon/*.conf' failed: No such file or directory
Starting weakSwan 5.2.1 IPsec [starter]...
Loading config setup
found netkey IPsec stack
Attempting to start charon...
00[LIB] expanding file pattern '/etc/strongswan.d/charon/*.conf' failed: No such file or directory
child 4445 (charon) has quit (exit code 66)
charon has quit: initialization failed
charon refused to be started
plugin 'kernel-netlink': loaded successfully
detected Linux 2.6.36, no support for RTA_PREFSRC for IPv6 routes
known interfaces and IP addresses:
  lo
    ::1
  eth0
    2001:568:6071:8d:4e66:5218:1973:44d7
    fe80::219:b9ff:fe7b:9ece
  eth1
    fe80::127b:44ff:feae:d630
  eth2
    fe80::127b:44ff:feae:d634
  vlan1
  vlan2
  br0
    2701:d2:b200:b40::1
  wds1.1
flushing all SAD entries
flushing all policies from SPD
ipsec starter stopped

A factory reset was done before attempting configuration of this new 384 firmware.

Last edited:
I had over 15 days of uptime on my own RT-AC88U without any wireless issue. Did you try the usual recommendations (disable MU-MIMO, Implicit Beamforming and Airtime Fairness), and using a different channel?

I can confirm this problem on multiple different hardware units of the AC88. An A5 unit that I had to RMA for a failed switch and the brand new A6 unit I received as a replacement.

I can confirm the problem has persisted for the entire 382 release and the 384 release as well.

I can confirm that a factory reset was done in all cases and did not resolve the issue.

I can confirm that I do not see the problem in Media Bridge mode, but do see it in Router Mode.

I can confirm that the usual Wi-Fi setting recommendations you submitted do not prevent the problem.

I can confirm that the 380 line of firmware does not have this problem.

I can confirm that the Merlin thread for 382 does have others who detail this exact issue as well.

There be gremlins hiding in the 88U 5GHz driver.

Code:
expanding file pattern '/etc/strongswan.d/charon/*.conf' failed: No such file or directory

Do you still have it enabled on the webui? Based on this, your router didn't generate any config file for StrongSWAN.

There be gremlins hiding in the 88U 5GHz driver.

Then I have no idea. My own RT-AC88U is rock solid, between my Intel-based Thinkpad, Mediatek-based Zenpad and a Qualcomm or Broadcom-based Nexus 5X (unsure which chip it uses).

Do you still have it enabled on the webui? Based on this, your router didn't generate any config file for StrongSWAN.

My mistake, I did have it disabled.

That being said, not much changed with it enabled.

It has these settings recorded somewhere. If I toggle it off and back on, then it remembers and restores the settings I previously laid out. So I'm not sure what .conf it's lookin for under that daemon.

A quick check of the /etc directory shows that despite the VPN server being enabled and configured there is no strongswan.d directory. Since that directory doesn't exist, there aren't any conf files or charon directory either.

Code:
Starting weakSwan 5.2.1 IPsec [starter]...
Loading config setup
Loading conn 'Host-to-Net'
found netkey IPsec stack
Attempting to start charon...
00[LIB] expanding file pattern '/etc/strongswan.d/charon/*.conf' failed: No such file or directory
child 5428 (charon) has quit (exit code 66)
charon has quit: initialization failed
charon refused to be started
plugin 'kernel-netlink': loaded successfully
detected Linux 2.6.36, no support for RTA_PREFSRC for IPv6 routes
known interfaces and IP addresses:
  lo
    ::1
  eth0
    2001:568:6071:9d:4e66:5219:1973:44d7
    fe80::219:b9ff:fe7b:9ece
  eth1
  eth2
  vlan1
  vlan2
  br0
    2701:d2:b200:b40::1
  wds1.1
flushing all SAD entries
flushing all policies from SPD
ipsec starter stopped

Last edited:
Then I have no idea. My own RT-AC88U is rock solid, between my Intel-based Thinkpad, Mediatek-based Zenpad and a Qualcomm or Broadcom-based Nexus 5X (unsure which chip it uses).

Not sure if the answer lies in a client breaking the driver or not. I'd also note that if you just web surf, you might not notice that the ping is fluctuating and packets are being lost. You'd have to ping the gateway to notice there was a problem.

My clients are an AC88U A2 in Media Bridge running the 382 driver without issue, up to four Intel 7260 AC adapters, and up to two Universal Scientific Industrial adapters from the iPhone 6S.

With the number of people on the 3100 or AC88U complaining in the official Merlin thread, I doubt we could find a common link. (For example: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-1-is-now-available.42127/page-31#post-367601)

That people find relief rolling back to the 380 driver is telling. Unfortunately for me, the 380 driver has a broken IPv6 stack.

Last edited:
RAM goes to 313 MB:rolleyes:
Another bug: IPTV still lags, freeze, when downloading on max speed :((

Last edited:
I have noticed 3.0.0.4.384.10007 its slower listing devices connected.
I need to roolback firmware since parental control wont work correctly again after update, even appling all workarounds of reset, Block kids devices wrongly.
After Instal new firmware
version 3.0.0.4.384.20287 parental control and devfice dscovery work ok again.

After Instal new firmware
version 3.0.0.4.384.20287 parental control and devfice dscovery work ok again.
I updated on the latest 3.0.0.4.384.20379 and found out the parental control is still not working properly. It kinda works but big latency, sometimes shows "you're not connected to the internet" kind of messages and overall creates issues on kids' devices.
Can somebody confirm the Parental Control glitch is still exists or otherwise?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!