What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does 2.4 and 5.0 ssid have to be the same for smart connect to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my router today. Hopefully I'll get to set it up tomorrow. Never used Marlins software. Once set up on it how is the update process? Similar to stock? For the most part I'd like to set my router up and forget it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Got my router today. Hopefully I'll get to set it up tomorrow. Never used Marlins software. Once set up on it how is the update process? Similar to stock? For the most part I'd like to set my router up and forget it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's Merlin not Marlin. And yes flash it like stock firmware.

AC88U not MU-MIMO ready. ASUS says 1st half 2016 firmware release for MU-MIMO. We're still waiting for that firmware on the AC87U.

Got it set up today. Other then having issue with one of my ports not opening. ( made another thread) in the short time I've had it up and running its working great. More stable connection and throughput then the AC66U that I have now turned into a media bridge

Thanks Papa. The disclaimer says "beta" by end of 2015 anyway...

That could make sense. The option was added to the webui in recent weeks for the RT-AC87U, with the label "beta" written right next to it. I assume they will soon enable it on the bcm4366 as well.

Summer 2016 is when the Wifi Alliance will start doing MU-MIMO validations if I remember correctly, that would explain why it will be left as beta until then.

Some really interesting bits in this video.

- 800 MHz processors in the bcm4366 SoC (someone was recently saying that this chip lacked the extra processor when compared to the RT-AC3200's SoC - looks like this new SoC does in fact carry the 800 MHz CPUs)
- Samba accelerator: this one is total news to me. Looks like something transparently integrated in the CPU, because I see no trace of it in the software.

This is why you don't run out and buy something new without any reviews first. Something I learned years ago. I want the 88U but I will not buy it until Tim's review.
As soon as Amazon approves my trade in I'll be getting the AC88U. I just can't resist the red on black.
Dang...just a few days ago I read a post where you scolded another member for buying a new release router prior to the test report coming out on this site and now you are doing the same. Are you sure your not running for Senator?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!