What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Most of the times only minor changes happen, not due to issues on the device itself but because of components stock / availability.

I don't really agree on that, I don't consider ASUS ripping consumers just by releasing a new HW revision at all, RT-AC88U will keep the same specs whatever the HW revision and even if a small change happens it will not make much difference on the original product structure.

So how's that ripping consumers anyway?

The same happens with all manufacturers components, such as: cpus, motherboards, gfx, storage, etc.

Seriously? How is it ethical to release a router that lacks the necessary hardware (or whatever it may be) to perform as advertised? Especially one that was a major selling point of the router? Then to provide a fix to the router allowing it to perform as advertised without the means to compensate early adopters?

PS Anyone try the latest ASUS firmware with the 88u? (3.0.0.4.380_7378-g7a25649)

Also, anyone tested the 2.4 Bluetooth Coex? Any suggestions regarding this setting? I ask because my PS4 and nintendo switch are within a few feet of my router.

means to compensate early adopters?

huh ? it happens all the time , its called the early adopter tax , hell look at the just released linksys half its features are not enabled yet but will be added in future firmware releases as it states on its web page , hardware wise hggomes is correct in that small changes happen all the time and we often see v2 , 3 and 4 of hardware , i have seen a tp link with version 10 of one of their modem/wireless routers

PS Anyone try the latest ASUS firmware with the 88u? (3.0.0.4.380_7378-g7a25649)

yes using it now and all is good here

huh ? it happens all the time , its called the early adopter tax , hell look at the just released linksys half its features are not enabled yet but will be added in future firmware releases as it states on its web page , hardware wise hggomes is correct in that small changes happen all the time and we often see v2 , 3 and 4 of hardware , i have seen a tp link with version 10 of one of their modem/wireless routers
I'm a bit confused at your response; I never stated that this sort of 'revision' doesn't occur on occasion or that it has never occurred in the past. I was referencing Hggomes' reply to Sm00thPapa's post espousing his belief that this practice is basically 'ripping' off the customer. Hggmoses disagrees, and from what I can tell, interprets this as the company doing what is necessary to improve a product as improvements are developed, and the lack of retroactive customer support being an acceptable concession in the contract between a company and the customer. Basically, I'm not arguing that Asus' lack of support for the older chip 88u model isn't to be expected-- just that in this case it should be. And yes, they are screwing those that are in my position.

My argument was and is: when a company releases a product, advertising features (features that were plastered all over the box and website) that will not function barring a hardware revision to subsequent models-- it results in consumers with the original product bearing an unacceptable cost. This is simply false advertising regardless of intention, and when you consider the majority of casual consumers, most of whom are not experts on every obscure wireless protocol and feature (or whatever gimmicky name the manufacturer has given it this year), it hardly amounts to an early adopter tax. This isn't the AMD 400 series card under performing for a few months until the correct driver revisions are released, or a CPU not supporting h265 until the latest firmware is available; this is a product that will never be able to perform as advertised no matter how many firmware revisions are released.

Yes, I'm aware that manufacturers typically won't grant a return for an issue like this. But the fact that we tacitly accept this makes suffering an issue like this more obnoxious. I'm not sure if you misinterpreted my post, or if you have some loyalty or attachment to ASUS, either way I'd be surprised if you would blindly support a company that (everything from Motherboards to routers) has become progressively more unsatisfactory in customer service and quality control. Like others on this thread, I've had numerous issues with my 88u-- some of them were cleared up by other users and were the result of my own unrealistic expectations, however, other glaring issues remain. If not for this community and the willingness of everyone who shares their technical knowledge, I would have had a much harder time in getting my router functional.

A few years ago, prior to the 88u I was using the 68U and the ac-68 adapter. I've used third party, Merlin and Asus firmware without any problems and have learned a lot through my first major wireless setup (mainly by lurking on this forum for years). A year ago, I swapped to the 88u and the AC88 for the benefits of using a broadcom chip (nitro/turbo-Qam) and MU-MIMO, as well as numerous other features. My AC-88 adapter turned out to be a lemon and failed to power on after two weeks of ownership. After a couple of weeks of dealing with Asus customer support and claims of a month turn around time to fix the adapter, Amazon agreed to soak up the refund. Needless to say, none of that matters now-- since I have the original RT-88u I won't be able to even attempt MIMO and despite a working AC88 adapter the broadcom features don't work.

To get the most out of the router, I've disabled Qam and MIMO following Merlin's advice, and the router works for the most part. For some reason I am still stuck with erratic power levels and signal strength, noticeably worse on the 5g side than my AC-68U. I apologize for the wall of text, but at times I've been baffled by posters who admonish those feeling slighted for having paid for a product that doesn't do what amounts to a major selling point and the fact that there is zero recourse to correct the issue! Low expectations? Brand loyalty? I mean, don't get me wrong, I still think ASUS makes great routers... but I would think that with this particular situation it would be easy to understand someone's frustration. The 68 was great, the adapter is great as well... perhaps the early iteration of the 88u wasn't worth the $300?
---------
Maybe I wrote all of that for no reason, and your reply was simply emphasizing that this sort of thing happens frequently (i.e., I shouldn't be shocked so stop bitching). You understand that broadcom functionality with a compatible adapter doesn't work and that MU-MIMO will not work for those with the older adapter, you aren't arguing that an individual should not experience frustration at bearing the cost, or that consumers being active in complaints could elicit change from ASUS is unreasonable. If that is the case, sorry for my misunderstanding, AND I'll quit my complaining :)

yes using it now and all is good here

Thanks, I'll give it another shot. I know this initially was implemented due to low throughput on the 2.4 end with nearby Bluetooth signals. Any idea if the 2.4 band was also interfering significantly with local Bluetooth devices? If so, would compatibility correct this?

Seriously? How is it ethical to release a router that lacks the necessary hardware (or whatever it may be) to perform as advertised? Especially one that was a major selling point of the router? Then to provide a fix to the router allowing it to perform as advertised without the means to compensate early adopters?

Also, anyone tested the 2.4 Bluetooth Coex? Any suggestions regarding this setting? I ask because my PS4 and nintendo switch are within a few feet of my router.

You are conflating things, we were talking about HW revisions not SW FWs issues/bugs or lack of advertised features, you just need to reread my post to understand it.

Well, this 3rd 88 of mine has a disappearing 5G radio. Same problem my original one had - unbelievable.
Every 2-3 days...poof. No 5G network available.
My first one had that until the 5G radio completely died altogether, even after reboots and full factory resets.
Sledgehammer time.

This router really is a giant POS.

You are conflating things, we were talking about HW revisions not SW FWs issues/bugs or lack of advertised features, you just need to reread my post to understand it.

I'm actually not. The revision in question affects some of the features I listed, and your post I was commenting on was in response to a discussion about the revision that would allow mu-mimo to function properly.

Mainly being that if a revision is correcting an issue as significant as many of the initial 88's then I hardly am happy with soaking up the loss. Either way my post should have been obvious what I was speaking about.

If RT-AC88U first HW revision doesn't allow MU-MIMO work as advertised on the initial product and it's fixed now with a new RT-AC88U HW revision than I definitely must agree with you, but I'm not sure if that's the case, we will need first to get some MU-MIMO capable clients to extensively test it to know.

If RT-AC88U first HW revision doesn't allow MU-MIMO work as advertised on the initial product and it's fixed now with a new RT-AC88U HW revision than I definitely must agree with you, but I'm not sure if that's the case, we will need first to get some MU-MIMO capable clients to extensively test it to know.

Well I am going by what I've read on this board and some other web info. I haven't been able to actually speak with anyone who's been able to verify that.

@RMerlin
@Gitsum

Mate can you please help me with this transmission issue
i'm not into networking much, need help

ay 25 00:14:44 rc_service: httpd 532:notify_rc start_webs_update
May 25 00:26:31 rc_service: httpd 532:notify_rc start_webs_update
May 25 01:00:56 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...
May 25 02:34:33 miniupnpd[2227]: upnp_event_process_notify: connect(192.168.0.209:6666): No route to host
May 25 02:46:49 rc_service: httpd 532:notify_rc start_webs_update
May 25 02:54:19 rc_service: httpd 532:notify_rc start_apps_enable downloadmaster no
May 25 02:54:21 thunder: sh /opt/S50downloadmaster.1 stop
May 25 02:54:30 rc_service: httpd 532:notify_rc start_apps_enable downloadmaster yes
May 25 02:54:32 thunder: sh /opt/S50downloadmaster.1 restart
May 25 02:54:37 transmission-daemon[8222]: Couldn't bind port 51413 on ::: Address already in use (Is another copy of Transmission already running?) (net.c:380)
May 25 02:54:37 transmission-daemon[8222]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 245760 (tr-udp.c:84)
May 25 02:54:37 transmission-daemon[8222]: UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 245760 (tr-udp.c:95)

May 25 02:54:56 rc_service: httpd 532:notify_rc start_apps_update
May 25 02:58:57 rc_service: httpd 532:notify_rc start_apps_enable downloadmaster no
May 25 02:58:59 thunder: sh /opt/S50downloadmaster.1 stop
May 25 02:59:15 rc_service: httpd 532:notify_rc start_apps_enable downloadmaster yes
May 25 02:59:17 thunder: sh /opt/S50downloadmaster.1 restart
May 25 02:59:22 transmission-daemon[10669]: Couldn't bind port 51413 on ::: Address already in use (Is another copy of Transmission already running?) (net.c:380)
May 25 02:59:22 transmission-daemon[10669]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 245760 (tr-udp.c:84)
May 25 02:59:22 transmission-daemon[10669]: UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 245760 (tr-udp.c:95)

May 25 03:08:09 rc_service: httpd 532:notify_rc start_webs_update
May 25 12:13:52 ntp: start NTP update

Please any help would be highly appreciated, i had to disable enable download master client each time i want to use it, sometimes it works , mostly it get stuck and dont work :(

I don't use Transmission nor Download Master. However it's normal that you can't run them at the same time, since Download Master itself contains Transmission.

I don't use Transmission nor Download Master. However it's normal that you can't run them at the same time, since Download Master itself contains Transmission.
Mate thanks for replying @RMerlin

But as i said i'm newbie to networking, can you please explain in simple,i always used it as it is and never had issue before but this latest asus firmware update 380.7627 came up with this issue, can you please tell me how to remove this issue?

Last edited:
Mate thanks for replying @RMerlin

But as i said i'm newbie to networking, can you please explain in simple,i always used it as it is and never had issue before but this latest asus firmware update 380.7627 came up with this issue, can you please tell me how to remove this issue?
@RMerlin No help for newbies :(
Please help, it would be really appreciable, thanks in advance

Connect your router main page, Then USB Application --> Download Master and disabled it. Still getting the error?

Connect your router main page, Then USB Application --> Download Master and disabled it. Still getting the error?
@fax @Pierino @RMerlin
No i dont get this error after disabling download master, actually i always used mobile client app for download master, now problem occured with lastest asus firmware that whenever i refresh it , it may take time if disk is idle before but now after a while it started giving error "cannot connect to download master" and when i opened router homepage , it even doesn't allow me to open download master page, inquiring logs resulted in the error i showed you in above posts, one thing to notice it doesn't happen always, sometimes it happens very frequent and sometimes every thing works fine as it should and as it always worked in previous all versions firmware
To be honest, i can spell "TRANSMISSION" but know nothing about it and didn't get the generous advice by mates above that both can't work together :eek: what both? i 'm simple user , just needed a solution for this problem that download master stucks :(

Reset the router (under Administration / restore tab / restore) then set it up manually (no restore file) to get connected, enable download master and nothing else, test... Do you get the same problem? Then report to ASUS via the router UI (under Administration / Feedback tab). Sorry no further suggestions from here :)

yes this can be issue somewhat, lame thing logically, i am using restore file coming from rt-ac66u to my next upgrade rt-ac68u and now same file restore i used for rt-ac88u, ehhhhhh, i've to port forward all again from scratch, i hate this job :eek:
thanks for advice, i'll report after i'm done tonight
thanks @RMerlin @fax @Pierino

@RMerlin No help for newbies :(
Please help, it would be really appreciable, thanks in advance

As I said, I can't help you any further, I never used Download Master.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!