What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I purchased the 88u when it first came out, so I'd imagine I have the old chipset. Is this something Asus will correct for us? Any suggestions on getting an updated version? Knowing ASUS they will tell me to send in my 88u and maybe three weeks later I'll receive a 'repaired' model.

I purchased the 88u when it first came out, so I'd imagine I have the old chipset. Is this something Asus will correct for us? Any suggestions on getting an updated version? Knowing ASUS they will tell me to send in my 88u and maybe three weeks later I'll receive a 'repaired' model.

Typically, hardware manufacturers won't issue an RMA for people wanting to get a newer hardware revision, unless that revision is necessary to resolve an issue that prevents the product from working normally.

I feel bad for people who pay $300.00 for a router and 2 months later a new revision is out. These companies ripping off consumers blind.

I feel bad for people who pay $300.00 for a router and 2 months later a new revision is out. These companies ripping off consumers blind.
Most of the times only minor changes happen, not due to issues on the device itself but because of components stock / availability.

I don't really agree on that, I don't consider ASUS ripping consumers just by releasing a new HW revision at all, RT-AC88U will keep the same specs whatever the HW revision and even if a small change happens it will not make much difference on the original product structure.

So how's that ripping consumers anyway?

The same happens with all manufacturers components, such as: cpus, motherboards, gfx, storage, etc.

Last edited:
Mine says A6.

Thank you for sharing. :)

Ooops, based on sm00thpapa I guess HW A1 (me) and now once again A2/A5 consumers were already ripped off with A6. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ok, so I've been having some issues with the latest new 88 I bought from Amazon and I'm absolutely stumped. No matter the connection, wired or wireless, I am getting horrid download speeds. Typical is 280Mbps+ and whatever's plugged into this new 88 is anywhere from .5-50Mbps. I have preformed multiple factory resets, I've flashed the latest week-old firmware - no change. I bypassed the 88 and my speeds are as expected - 260Mbps. What in the world??

Also, when the 88 is plugged in, I notice my modem's 'DS' downstream indicator sometimes starts flashing. I look at the uncorrectable and correctable errors and some of the downstream bonded channels are through the roof - in the millions. Again, this doesn't seem to happen when I reboot the modem and bypass the 88.

Did I buy yet another POS 88?

To add, I received my first 88 back from ASUS (HW A6) a few days ago and it's brand new in plastic. Should I plug it in and give it a try?

Last edited:
Most of the times the issue is not the router, but the setup.

1. What type of WAN connection?
2. How the setup is being done?
3. Are other devices involved?

Are the speeds OK if not using AC88U? I mean when using ISP router/modem device.

Most of the times the issue is not the router, but the setup.

1. What type of WAN connection? COMCAST via Cable Modem
2. How the setup is being done? I've tried multiple factory resets, so out of the box settings
3. Are other devices involved? NO

Are the speeds OK if not using AC88U? YES, as I stated when I bypass the 88, my speeds are great - 260+ Mbps download.

I mean when using ISP router/modem device.

Usually the process is quite simple:

1. Clone Cable Modem MAC Adress to AC88U WAN setup.
2. Power OFF both devices for some minutes.
3. Power ON Modem until boot process finish.
4. Power ON AC88U.

Cable Modem <=> AC88U WAN

Well I swapped the 88 out with the warranteed one and my speeds are backl up as expected. I have yet to test anything else like my original issue, 3 88's ago, which was a broken 5G radio.
Freakin A this is ridiculous. So pissed at ASUS right now.

Sorry to hear that. :(

Are the HW revisions the same?

Yes, both A6. MFG 2016..

So far I have a working 88 - all radios etc. Ask me in a week if everything's still working. ARGH.

Have those AC5300's had as many issues as these 88s have?

Well I swapped the 88 out with the warranteed one and my speeds are backl up as expected. I have yet to test anything else like my original issue, 3 88's ago, which was a broken 5G radio.
Freakin A this is ridiculous. So pissed at ASUS right now.

Make sure you don't enable any feature that will cause NAT acceleration to be disabled. That could explain what you are experiencing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!