What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why you would not upgrade from the 87R to this router

Because what little gain you'd get over an RT-AC87U isn't worth 300$ CAD. And also since the AC87U is only one year old, that means you'd be spending nearly 600$ CAD during a period of 12 months on your router - that's a lot of money.

What are your bootloader versions? Myself and another users who got a pre-release sample at nearly the same time both got two different bootloader versions.

Through SSH:

Code:
nvram get bl_version

So I am checking this router out and it has a statement about "Game Accelerator Inside"

What is this Wizardly Magic????

Anyone know if or when this router will be at Best Buy or any other big box store ? I tried Best Buy website but it shows no results for the 88U.

Dunno if BB intends to carry it, they currently list the RT-AC3100.

Is there a huge difference in the two routers other then the red antennas and 8 lan ports ?

I think this might have some of a diffrence??

Game Accelerator Inside

Anyone know if or when this router will be at Best Buy or any other big box store ? I tried Best Buy website but it shows no results for the 88U.
They dont crry ROG products most of the time, amazon has it, I might try dont know yet??

Is there a huge difference in the two routers other then the red antennas and 8 lan ports ?

Nothing else, these are the only differences.

I'm curious in regards to this post about the similar Netgear Nighthawk X8 (R8500) router. Their engineers went with a different design decision for their extra LAN ports (avoid RGMII). See here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ni...d-stream-wifi-router.27456/page-5#post-217889

I'm wondering if the impact on aggregate wireless throughput is detectable. Anyone care to generate some traffic on port 8, for example, going over to a local wireless device to check this on their AC88U? It may be best to avoid using those extra ports if this impact is high.

I'm curious in regards to this post about the similar Netgear Nighthawk X8 (R8500) router. Their engineers went with a different design decision for their extra LAN ports (avoid RGMII). See here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ni...d-stream-wifi-router.27456/page-5#post-217889

I'm wondering if the impact on aggregate wireless throughput is detectable. Anyone care to generate some traffic on port 8, for example, going over to a local wireless device to check this on their AC88U? It may be best to avoid using those extra ports if this impact is high.

I don't know for a fact if Asus actually used RGMII or not. I assumed they did based on the fact that the Realtek switch only has an RGMII interface (no PCI-E interface). Now, if they also went through an Ethernet interface between the two, that's entirely possible. Only Asus would be able to confirm if this is actually the case or not.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the R8500 has three radios, not two. It might have different bandwidth requirements than the RT-AC88U with only two radios.

Don't worry too much about the RGMII interface ok...

I saw the Netgear guy post - simply put, the 4790 only has so many ports, and his suggestion that they use ethernet PHY across the 4790 to the second switch - it's the same as RGMII...

his statement makes no sense at all - consider this from someone who has designed AP's and knows a thing or two about HW/SW design..

Does anyone know if Flow Accelerator is an option on the 88U along with CTF? Or was that simply a QT chipset thing on the 87U?

So it too only partially works but gives you 4 more ports and red antennas???? :D sorry couldn't help myself. For the people with them has the roll out been far less buggy?

It's been very stable so far. As you can see here, almost no complain regarding either of them.

It's been very stable so far. As you can see here, almost no complain regarding either of them.

Agreed, I am having no issues now after I did a factory reset. I was having an issue with parental controls but the factory reset seemed to fix it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!