What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anyone with an 88u have any reports on the latest firmware performance?

Merlin: Any plans to allow increasing TX power on your 88u firmware? (the old setting ASUS gave us prior to an update around a year ago or so)

Tx power is still there on non-US based Asus routers. Don't think Merlin can change this without breaking rules... ;)

Latest firmware works fine here... Just like the previous one.

Tx power is still there on non-US based Asus routers. Don't think Merlin can change this without breaking rules... ;)

Latest firmware works fine here... Just like the previous one.
Thx, yeah I figured the FCC was behind it :(

I will buy this router but asking shops about hardware revision all said to me that they have A2, what u recoment me? keep searching A6 or its safe to buy A2?

I have an A2 AC88U and it has been rock solid. Running Merlin of course [emoji3]

@fax @Pierino
Can anybody guide me how to clear nvram on asus rt-ac88u ?
There are other ways, but this is how I clear the NVRAM on my RT-AC88U: Turn off the router, press and hold the WPS button, then turn on the router. Wait about 20 seconds, then release the WPS button. I takes a few minutes to boot up after this, so be patient.

There are other ways, but this is how I clear the NVRAM on my RT-AC88U: Turn off the router, press and hold the WPS button, then turn on the router. Wait about 20 seconds, then release the WPS button.
Does it clear nvram completely? I read somewhere it just resets it, not complete nvram

Does it clear nvram completely? I read somewhere it just resets it, not complete nvram
I believe that the WPS button method will clear the NVRAM. Not always the case if you reset it through the GUI. The GUI reset button depends on the firmware running on the router. Typically, it will wipe out nvram, but that's no guarantee when running a third party firmware. The WPS button is for when you press it before turning the router on. It's handled by the bootloader, so it will always work, regardless of which firmware is on the router.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wps-versus-reset-button-and-when-to-use.31900/

I believe that the WPS button method will clear the NVRAM. Not always the case if you reset it through the GUI. The GUI reset button depends on the firmware running on the router. Typically, it will wipe out nvram, but that's no guarantee when running a third party firmware. The WPS button is for when you press it before turning the router on. It's handled by the bootloader, so it will always work, regardless of which firmware is on the router.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wps-versus-reset-button-and-when-to-use.31900/
After more reading, i also found following method
Using telnet
Command
"mtd-erase2 nvram"
And than manual power off, turn on after 3/4 minutes, it looks safe
I'm gonna try this one
Thanks for help mate

apparently the ac88U seems to have become popular. Does the 8 ports and LACP really sell it?

In my opinion though the AC88U isnt ideal if you have many wired devices if you need performance as 4 of the ports connect to everything else via 1Gb/s.

In my case i use 100Mb/s on the other 4 ports like printers, raspberry pis and so on.

In my opinion though the AC88U isnt ideal if you have many wired devices if you need performance as 4 of the ports connect to everything else via 1Gb/s.

It's no worse than cascading a switch really.

I just bought this router to change my old and good friend AC66U, it will arrive next monday, its A2 because i cant find on spain A6, i asked about 6 shops and all have A2.

So which of the 8 ports are the highest performing ports? The first 4?
Are they all just oversubscribed or is there an actual difference between certain ports?

So which of the 8 ports are the highest performing ports? The first 4?
Are they all just oversubscribed or is there an actual difference between certain ports?

WAN and 1 through 4 are on one switch (Broadcom). 5 through 8 is on a separate switch (Realtek).

The bottleneck is only between the two switches, so as long you keep your high throughput devices together on the same switch, you'll be fine.

So I finally purchased my brand new RT-AC88U on Sunday to replace one of my RT-N66U. I used the superb User NVRAM Save/Restore by john9527 to get up and running leterally within minutes. All worked like a charm.

Until today, a whopping 1.5 days later. Seems the 5Ghz Wifi "part" died (LED never comes on anymore) , and 2.4GHz doesn't connect. Factory default, stock firmware and various other resets didn't help.

Luckily I decided to test it, since I need to take it overseas in a few weeks.

Heading to Asus service center right now...

Edit: 1.5 days later

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!