What's new

RT-AX3000 random crashing pointing to bcm modules

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomuser931583

Occasional Visitor
I got the router a few months ago and was hoping 386.1 would resolve this issue but it seems to persist.

These crashes are not full crashes, only what I as a layperson could describe as a module failing and being reloaded. There is no full reinitialization of the system and downtime is about 10 seconds.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ta-is-now-available.68205/page-10#post-639072 is almost identical to errors I'm experiencing so I'm not sure if this is a possible issue.

Most recent crash on 386.1.2:
May 5 00:05:02 crashlog: <1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000151
May 5 00:05:02 crashlog: <1>pgd = c0014000
May 5 00:05:02 crashlog: <1>[00000151] *pgd=00000000
May 5 00:05:02 crashlog: <0>Internal error: Oops: 17 [#1] PREEMPT SMP ARM
May 5 00:05:02 crashlog: <4>CPU: 0 PID: 239 Comm: bcmsw_rx Tainted: P O 4.1.52 #1
May 5 00:05:02 crashlog: <4>Hardware name: Generic DT based system

Previous errors identical to the one in the link:
May 5 00:05:02 crashlog: <1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000c
May 5 00:05:02 crashlog: <1>pgd = c0014000
May 5 00:05:02 crashlog: <1>[0000000c] *pgd=00000000
May 5 00:05:02 crashlog: <0>Internal error: Oops: 17 [#1] PREEMPT SMP ARM
May 5 00:05:02 crashlog: <4>CPU: 1 PID: 529 Comm: wl0-kthrd Tainted: P O 4.1.52 #1

Furthermore it appears the commonality of the crashes is they end within the bcm 675x blob.

I've also experimented with enabling/disabling QoS and other router features to turn acceleration on/off and haven't seen any success. In fact, even after reboots the status of "Archer" and "Flow Cache" remain enabled.

There does not appear to be any pattern with the router events immediately prior to the crash and therefore is, as far as I can tell, not reproduceable by any of my actions.

Full stacktrace is attached of a crash.

Attachments

• trace.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Reset router three times, changed configurations, changed power adapter and USB drives... still crashing.

Most recent crash is attached. This time pointing to bcm_archer_us.

Trying a bare minimum setup on 386.1_2 with as little configuration as is reasonable now.

Attachments

• trace7.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I have a AX3000 and had a few similar (but not identical) errors. I resolved these issues using the following steps - note this will totally wipe / reset the router and you'll need to setup manually.

1. Remove all USB devices
2. WPS method to reset router
3. Reboot and flash latest 386.1 merlin firmware + do minimum manual config (e.g. just setup WAN and WIFI)
4. select Format JFFS partition at next boot. click apply. reboot
5. WPS method to reset router
6. Do minimum config - WAN and WIFI and do nothing else unless essential e.g. add a few DHCP reservations if needed
7. Reboot after an hour

...Now wait for a few days to see if the error/crash occurs.

If it still happens then it might be a hardware issue and you should get the unit replaced.

If the router is now working OK, I would only install minimum addons and do them one at a time and leave a few days between each install. On my AX3000 this is what I install (and the order) and I have no issues:

1. add good quality USB stick (just for a swap not file server/storage)
2. use AMTM to format and create swap using default/recommended settings
3. enable jffs scripts and reboot
4. use AMTM to install entware
5. install cake-qos: This is a great QOS option that needs very little config. It just works
6. install nextDNS: I have a paid subscription. It does add blocking and some (enough for me) network security/privacy

That's it. works great.

Hope this helps and apologies if you have already tried all of the above.

Good luck.

I've performed the WPS reset, as I was not aware of it in case it makes a difference.

Hardware fault was something that was a concern, but I have very little faith in how spending $15 to ship the router to Asus for them to turn it on and say it works would succeed in a replacement.
I was hoping it was something like https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-1-beta-is-now-available.68205/post-639073 but just didn't include the ax3000 variant or something of the sort was the issue.

I am running base 386.1_2 with no scripts and minimal config and will see how that goes.

Hope it works out. The AX3000 and AX58U are the same hardware - just a different model name. I believe the merlin build/firmware for both models is exactly the same.

If it is a hardware issue, you should be able to get it replaced or fixed. My old Asus router (AC86U) was more than a year old when the 2.4ghz wifi failed. Sent it back to Amazon and got a full refund.

IF you do try to get a refund, I would put a stock asus firmware on it and make sure you can reproduce the error.

Sadly I made the mistake of purchasing from Newegg and disposed of the box before I realized potential defects, so I'm out of luck as far as merchant refunding goes.

I see. Hope the reset fixes the issue for you.

Following this thread. I just purchased an RT-AX58U and the 1st thing I did was flash up Merlin 386.1_2 and then started the config. Nothing but random wifi issues for the past 2 weeks. I have rebooted multiple times and have Firesticks that I have to move from 5Ghz down to 2.4 Ghz when they disconnect for no reason. I am about to put the stock firmware back on and ship it back to Amazon. I went with Asus because of the Merlin firmware but this is becoming a bit of a nightmare.

Following this thread. I just purchased an RT-AX58U and the 1st thing I did was flash up Merlin 386.1_2 and then started the config. Nothing but random wifi issues for the past 2 weeks. I have rebooted multiple times and have Firesticks that I have to move from 5Ghz down to 2.4 Ghz when they disconnect for no reason. I am about to put the stock firmware back on and ship it back to Amazon. I went with Asus because of the Merlin firmware but this is becoming a bit of a nightmare.
I have 3 AX58Us One main , 2 nodes. Did you, after you flashed the Merlin 386.1_2 , do a WPS restore or just flash it over the stock and then config..
Best practice for me was to basic set up on stock , confirm operation, flash merlin, reboot, wait 10 mins, power off. Then power on with WPS reset, basic set up. Test .. Then wait 10 mins, reboot and then and only then do your manual set up in detail. Then save your config. do not upload a config from a stock or previous version of merlin.
I have 6 firesticks and 7 echo devices plus numerous IOT devices all running on the guest network (2.4 for Dots, or 5Ghz for Echos with screen or Firesticks) and a total of 34 devices all in all..
The nodes are both on 386.2 alpha2 with the main on 386.1_2.. I did try a dirty flash of .2 alpha 2 on the main node without the recommended WPS reconfigure and yes, I did have issues with the 5Ghz radio(s). Went back to 386.1_2 on the main and its been solid ever since. 2 kids, google meets, 1 Wife and self Teams, Zoom , Bigfix, 150Mbs/10Mbs with Shentel..
Ethernet on node 1, Powerline ethernet on node 2.

I have 3 AX58Us One main , 2 nodes. Did you, after you flashed the Merlin 386.1_2 , do a WPS restore or just flash it over the stock and then config..
Best practice for me was to basic set up on stock , confirm operation, flash merlin, reboot, wait 10 mins, power off. Then power on with WPS reset, basic set up. Test .. Then wait 10 mins, reboot and then and only then do your manual set up in detail. Then save your config. do not upload a config from a stock or previous version of merlin.
I have 6 firesticks and 7 echo devices plus numerous IOT devices all running on the guest network (2.4 for Dots, or 5Ghz for Echos with screen or Firesticks) and a total of 34 devices all in all..
The nodes are both on 386.2 alpha2 with the main on 386.1_2.. I did try a dirty flash of .2 alpha 2 on the main node without the recommended WPS reconfigure and yes, I did have issues with the 5Ghz radio(s). Went back to 386.1_2 on the main and its been solid ever since. 2 kids, google meets, 1 Wife and self Teams, Zoom , Bigfix, 150Mbs/10Mbs with Shentel..
My experience is similar. Everything working great with all routers running merlin 386.1 - AX58U as main router with 2 nodes (AX3000, AC68U) both on wireless backhaul.

When moving from 384 to 386 i did a full WPS reset on everything. Basically rebuilt the entire network.

I've performed the WPS reset, as I was not aware of it in case it makes a difference.

Hardware fault was something that was a concern, but I have very little faith in how spending $15 to ship the router to Asus for them to turn it on and say it works would succeed in a replacement.
I was hoping it was something like https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-1-beta-is-now-available.68205/post-639073 but just didn't include the ax3000 variant or something of the sort was the issue.

I am running base 386.1_2 with no scripts and minimal config and will see how that goes.
I sent my RT-AX58U to Asus six weeks ago for RMA. I had very similar symptoms as you describe, with many crashes (typically 3-4 a day) that no one else was experiencing. Asus diagnosed the router in a couple days as not repairable. Given the log files, it looked to me like the NAND flash memory was faulty. Due to global supply chain issues, Asus did not have a replacement router so it took them a month to send me a replacement. The replacement is a refurb as per normal Asus practice. The replacement seems to be working well. So far, no crashes and the refurb has only minor scuffs cosmetically.

I sent my RT-AX58U to Asus six weeks ago for RMA. I had very similar symptoms as you describe, with many crashes (typically 3-4 a day) that no one else was experiencing. Asus diagnosed the router in a couple days as not repairable. Given the log files, it looked to me like the NAND flash memory was faulty. Due to global supply chain issues, Asus did not have a replacement router so it took them a month to send me a replacement. The replacement is a refurb as per normal Asus practice. The replacement seems to be working well. So far, no crashes and the refurb has only minor scuffs cosmetically.
That looks like the only route I will be able to take. I appreciate your feedback on the matter and your personal experience with the RMA process.

So I was able to finally do afull WPS reset as suggested and I did a basic configuration and for 24 hours now it has been very stable. I considered upgrading to the latest beta Merlin firmware but decided to stick with 386.1_2 stable so as not to introduce any other factors. If this did nt work I was ready to send the router back and go back to an old Netgear NIghthawk with Openwrt. So Far so good. So, thanks for the help.

So I was able to finally do afull WPS reset as suggested and I did a basic configuration and for 24 hours now it has been very stable. I considered upgrading to the latest beta Merlin firmware but decided to stick with 386.1_2 stable so as not to introduce any other factors. If this did nt work I was ready to send the router back and go back to an old Netgear NIghthawk with Openwrt. So Far so good. So, thanks for the help.
that's great news. happy it seems ok now.

I would definitely leave everything as is for a week+ before making any further changes. I had an issue in the past that only occurred after 7-10 days operation without a restart. Eventually fixed with a WPS reset but I spent weeks trying to solve it - even blamed my ISP (but wasn't their fault in the end)

FYI - You're not the only one having issues. Looks like a firmware issue with at least some configurations in 386.2_6+