What's new

RT-AX56U EOL question.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ixnet

New Around Here
Greeting SNB community, quick question, just wondering, do you know why asus put the RT-AX56U in EOL after just 4 year of release ? i had a ac86u and ac66u B1 and they seem to be supported much longuer than my RT-AX56U.
I know it is not merlin fault, i am aware of thats... but why keeping the AX58U alive and not the ax56u ?

I am a bit affraid of continue using it since no more security update will be pushed :(

The rt-ax56u is being discontinued by asus which means they will no longer provide him the source code. The rt-ax58u isn’t being discontinued by asus and firmware source code can be provided to Merlin. The rt-ax58u v1 is Merlin capable however v2 is not due to hardware limitations. Merlin might decide to not bother with future Merlin capability just due to it becoming harder to buy. Although I still enjoy its current Merlin support just saying. But even if it gets dropped by Merlin then it’ll still get security updates from Asus.

(Could be wrong idk)

Unfortunately if you want the longest support range don’t purchase the cheapest bottom tier router. With obsolescence of products typically in the 5 year-10year range, usually to match that range you need buy the newest flagship product. That’s kinda the way Rmerlin sees it I think?; the higher end routers usually get Merlin support and he usually adds a few popular lower end routers. But a lower end router is going to be a poorer experience.

Unfortunately if you want the longest support range don’t purchase the cheapest bottom tier router. With obsolescence of products typically in the 5 year-10year range, usually to match that range you need buy the newest flagship product. That’s kinda the way Rmerlin sees it I think?; the higher end routers usually get Merlin support and he usually adds a few popular lower end routers. But a lower end router is going to be a poorer experience.
I dont have enough money unfortunatly to buy high end tier, i did buy this one 2 years ago for about 50$ canadian (used) so i was happen to upgrade my ac66u

Putting RT-AX56U on the EOL list is a pretty strange decision from Asus, since, for example, RT-AX55, which is a cheaper model, is still supported and received a firmware update a couple of days ago. Do not enable Web access from WAN and you will be fine.

Am I missing something when I can't see it here?

Around the middle of the list:

1692052191616.png

Putting RT-AX56U on the EOL list is a pretty strange decision from Asus, since, for example, RT-AX55, which is a cheaper model, is still supported and received a firmware update a couple of days ago. Do not enable Web access from WAN and you will be fine.
I wonder if it's an architecture thing - do they both use the same architecture? Was the one still being continued perhaps bulk sold to ISP customers?

I wonder if it's an architecture thing - do they both use the same architecture? Was the one still being continued perhaps bulk sold to ISP customers?
From my understanding, the Architecture was more like a Frankinstein build. Any time I have ever troubleshooted using GO, or Entware binaries on these model routers, it has always been linked to some Architectural compatibility issue. IMO it seems pretty obvious that this model router never fully made it to prime time functionality. It seems like a test market run on Asus part. They were testing the AX waters, or accidentally released a prototype.

From my understanding, the Architecture was more like a Frankinstein build. Any time I have ever troubleshooted using GO, or Entware binaries on these model routers, it has always been linked to some Architectural compatibility issue. IMO it seems pretty obvious that this model router never fully made it to prime time functionality. It seems like a test market run on Asus part. They were testing the AX waters, or accidentally released a prototype.
Heh.. sounds like Apple.. Always avoid v1 of a new architecture with them :)

If the problem is the source code, there is GPL of ASUS RT-AX56U for firmware 3.0.0.4.388_22525 dated 2023/07/04. Perhaps I am wrong, but it is the same version GPL as for RT-AX58U and RT-AX58U is not on the EOL list. Thank you.

Thank you. So, it is not enough to have the GPL 3.0.0.4.388_22525 for RT-AX56U to build a new firmware? I am sorry, I am not an IT expert.

Thank you. So, it is not enough to have the GPL 3.0.0.4.388_22525 for RT-AX56U to build a new firmware? I am sorry, I am not an IT expert.
No. A GPL needs to be prepared for each separate models, as multiple portions of the firmware are closed source and therefore pre-compiled for their specific target model.

Asus never migrated the RT-AX56U model to the new 388 codebase. They still provided me with 388 GPL archives for that model that they prepared specifically for me for the 388.1 and 388.2 releases, but they have since officially declared the model as EOL, and I don't want to keep asking them for further GPLs for that model knowing that it would be totally untested, and might be broken at any point.

Greeting SNB community, quick question, just wondering, do you know why asus put the RT-AX56U in EOL after just 4 year of release ? i had a ac86u and ac66u B1 and they seem to be supported much longuer than my RT-AX56U.
I know it is not merlin fault, i am aware of thats... but why keeping the AX58U alive and not the ax56u ?

I am a bit affraid of continue using it since no more security update will be pushed :(
Heh, what a weird decision. The RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U were released at almost the same time. The AX-56U had better specs to my eyes, so I ended up going for that one a few years back. I liked that the radios were separate, so likely had a lower chance of overheating. Turns out if I had made a different decision, I'd still have a supported router.

See here: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4658096/+4120
Or here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asus_routers#ASUS_Wireless_ax_Routers

Heh, well... I went high end originally and got the RT-AC3200, and it got discontinued pretty quick. Then I got the RT-AX56U, and it got discontinued pretty quick. It doesn't seem like there's much of a pattern. Some of the old *66U and *68U routers are still supported, making me think that there's no real pattern to it - it's just luck, probably based on behind the scenes complexity. If hardware is finicky, the engineers drop it. Otherwise they support it. Maybe a model that sells best gets supported a bit longer, because there's millions in the wild. It is weird though given all the similarities between models (in the RT-AX5x lineup) that the 56U was the one to get cut. Oh well. Looks like I'll be doing another router upgrade sooner than expected... once scripts/addons stop supporting it.

Heh, what a weird decision. The RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U were released at almost the same time. The AX-56U had better specs to my eyes, so I ended up going for that one a few years back. I liked that the radios were separate, so likely had a lower chance of overheating. Turns out if I had made a different decision, I'd still have a supported router.

See here: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4658096/+4120
Or here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asus_routers#ASUS_Wireless_ax_Routers

Heh, well... I went high end originally and got the RT-AC3200, and it got discontinued pretty quick. Then I got the RT-AX56U, and it got discontinued pretty quick. It doesn't seem like there's much of a pattern. Some of the old *66U and *68U routers are still supported, making me think that there's no real pattern to it - it's just luck, probably based on behind the scenes complexity. If hardware is finicky, the engineers drop it. Otherwise they support it. Maybe a model that sells best gets supported a bit longer, because there's millions in the wild. It is weird though given all the similarities between models (in the RT-AX5x lineup) that the 56U was the one to get cut. Oh well. Looks like I'll be doing another router upgrade sooner than expected... once scripts/addons stop supporting it.
Tbh, it truly looks like a popularity contest with Asus on which routers get the best continued support. In actuality there are numerous factors including vendor partners keeping their parts up to date to equipment with modern driver support. Even the RTAC68U will hit the end of the road at some point. Asus is trying to make that big push into more modern, but it creates a void for other routers to fall into. RMerlin simply drops support due to the lack of support on Asus's part. Numerous times RMerlin has mentioned about getting Frankenstein incomplete GPL's for the models he is about to drop. Once the golden ticket from Asus drops, he has to immediately think about dropping support for those models as well. It is unfortunate, but also eye opening to the fact it important to follow these threads because some posts on here typically foreshadow or elude to what is next. RMerlin is completely transparent here.

I liked that the radios were separate,
That's not the case. The RT-AX56U used a BCM6755, which provides both CPU and wifi, on both bands, on a single SoC package. That CPU is EOL with Broadcom, being replaced with the BCM6756.

The RT-AX58U has a BCM6750, which only provides a single radio along its CPU, that is used for the 2.4 GHz band. The router had a separate BCM43684 for the 5 GHz band.

the RT-AC3200, and it got discontinued pretty quick
It was launched in 2014, and received its last firmware update in 2022. I wouldn't call 8 years of support "discontinued pretty quick".

It is weird though given all the similarities between models (in the RT-AX5x lineup) that the 56U was the one to get cut.
Lower end models will always have shorter life. Lower profit margin makes it less profitable to provide long term support, and they also constantly get replaced with new revisions or new designs either due to part availability (its CPU is EOL, therefore no longer available for purchase for manufacturing), or cost cutting (which leads to new models).

This is a major reason why I don't support lower end models. I tried to do it with the RT-AX58U and RT-AX56U. First one became a headache as it has seen multiple hardware revisions that require a different firmware and therefore dedicated development, and the second one got EOL fairly quickly compared to every other model that I support. Since Asuswrt-Merlin is composed of multiple closed source portions that are model specific, continued support is simply not possible.

The next ones on the chopping blocks will be the RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100 and RT-AC5300. I got one final GPL for these three for 386.12, and unless there are any major security issues fixed by Asus, these will be the next models to be dropped by me. I might possibly provide one or two updates with component updates if development leans that way. These are again models that are 8 years old now, which is a fairly healthy life cycle.

That's not the case. The RT-AX56U used a BCM6755, which provides both CPU and wifi, on both bands, on a single SoC package. That CPU is EOL with Broadcom, being replaced with the BCM6756.

The RT-AX58U has a BCM6750, which only provides a single radio along its CPU, that is used for the 2.4 GHz band. The router had a separate BCM43684 for the 5 GHz band.

So you're telling me that younger me got it completely backwards and made the exact wrong decision? o_O Got it. Hehe, this is why I like teardown images, and content like what Gamers Nexus puts out. It's so easy to misunderstand when you're not "in the thick of it".

It was launched in 2014, and received its last firmware update in 2022. I wouldn't call 8 years of support "discontinued pretty quick".
My RT-AC3200 was purchased in late 2016, and once I discovered Merlin firmware, I only got a few years out of it. The last Merlin firmware was 2020. At the time it was the highest end router affordably available in Canada. It was pre AX and pre a lot of the higher end models that got AES acceleration and whatnot. Made the best decision that I could, but only got a few years - such is life.

I really appreciate all the effort that you put into your wonderful firmware. From your educated vantage point, is there a model that you'd guess will last a long time from here on out? I have leaned towards the RT-AX68U, but perhaps you can save me a third heartache if I'm on the wrong track.

I live in a town where large parts of it only have access to 15-50mbit. Extreme CPU strength has not been a top priority for speeds like that.

I really appreciate all the effort that you put into your wonderful firmware. From your educated vantage point, is there a model that you'd guess will last a long time from here on out? I have leaned towards the RT-AX68U, but perhaps you can save me a third heartache if I'm on the wrong track.
The RT-AX68U probably leans more on the side of lower-end models, so I doubt it will get very long support, being largely replaced by the RT-AX82U.

The RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S is more likely to get longer support. The RT-AX86U_PRO and RT-AX88U_PRO probably even longer as they are based on a newer platform. This is however just speculation on my part, as it's entirely up to Asus (and Broadcom).

I live in a town where large parts of it only have access to 15-50mbit. Extreme CPU strength has not been a top priority for speeds like that.
If you don't need to go high-end, then maybe it would be best to do some cost analysis. Buying two routers at $150 within 4 years might be a better deal than buying a single $500 router for 8 years if you have no need for the extra performance.

The reality is a large number of people are running EOL or unsupported routers from all manufacturers. If one does not expose any of the router's features to the Internet, they are generally "good enough" for a home user.

The RT-AX68U probably leans more on the side of lower-end models, so I doubt it will get very long support, being largely replaced by the RT-AX82U.

The RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S is more likely to get longer support. The RT-AX86U_PRO and RT-AX88U_PRO probably even longer as they are based on a newer platform. This is however just speculation on my part, as it's entirely up to Asus (and Broadcom).
Really? Even with all the spec overlap with the RT-AX86S? Rats... I might strike out a third time!

Hehe, all models that are hard to find in Canada - go figure. ;)

Looks like the currently available models with Merlin support are:
GT-AXE16000 <--- $749.98
GT-AX11000
RT-AX86U Pro <--- $329.99 - Possibly best value per year.
RT-AX3000
RT-AX68U
RT-AX58U<--- $134.99 - Soon to be EOL probably.

Prices on the in-between models are soso, so looks like if I need any more routers, I know which model I'm shooting for. Thanks. :)