What's new

RT-AX58U FQ_Codel issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For now, I've had the best results with the bandwidth limiter. One rule. 192.168.1.2-254 set my speeds to 5% lower. Never have a problem with lag, buffering or FaceTime and such. Triple a+ on dslreports, even though everyone says those results don't matter. Four adults one kid. At least 3 streams going all the time. Two heavy gamers. All on 75/15 speeds.

Would you be able to show me a screenshot or just tell me exactly where and how you set that rule. I'm intrigued if this actually works.

Thanks.

Did I mention I'm on the latest stock firmware? I made sure to format the jjfs partition first. Then went back to stock. Factory reset everything. Input everything manually. I don't think Merlin has the latest gpl code? I think that's what it's called. Once Merlin gets the latest code from Asus, I'm sure everything will be better. And it won't take a year lol! Added photo. Speeds I get without any qos are 89/17.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-26-19-07-01.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-26-19-07-01.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Did I mention I'm on the latest stock firmware? I made sure to format the jjfs partition first. Then went back to stock. Factory reset everything. Input everything manually. I don't think Merlin has the latest gpl code? I think that's what it's called. Once Merlin gets the latest code from Asus, I'm sure everything will be better. And it won't take a year lol! Added photo. Speeds I get without any qos are 89/17.

Thanks man.

Now I tried the bandwidth limiter option with SFQ and FQ_Codel, but still get an F for bufferbloat. I've even set the bandwidth to 70% of my actual speeds and it didn't impact the normal speed. It's as if QoS is completely broken in Merlin.

Ugh. I like everything else about this router but having no functional QoS is a real deal-breaker for me. I hate to say it, but I might go back to Netgear before my return policy runs out. It looks like their Nighthawk X series have Dynamic QoS, which turns out to be essentially just FQ_Codel running.

Thanks again for help.

@LongRangeSkeet you could return it, or, you could test the stock version that RMerlin mentioned that fixes what you need. When the GPL drops for that code, you can switch back to RMerlin then. :)

@LongRangeSkeet you could return it, or, you could test the stock version that RMerlin mentioned that fixes what you need. When the GPL drops for that code, you can switch back to RMerlin then. :)

Stock version, as in, the factory update from Asus? Do I just flash it over Merlin to get it back to stock Asus software? Will it still have bufferbloat mitigation?

Thanks

See post 8.

Flash over from the gui is fine. Just make sure to factory reset and don't use a back up file to setup. Do everything manually.

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download

Pre beta test builds. Look at the changelog. Rmerlin is referencing the gpl he used from asus. The latest firmware from Asus has a newer gpl. But rmerlin doesn't have it yet. Just looked at Asus. Rmerlin is two gpl versions behind. They're up to 8601 which is what I'm running until the next update from rmerlin with the new adaptive qos rules.

Last edited:
You can look at the readme or changelogs, and you will see version numbers of firmware. Rmerlin just added support for this router as it's new tech. Freshjr qos is broken with the latest updates to adaptive qos. There's a huge thread discussing it and how to fix. Just go back to Asus firmware until rmerlin get the updated gpl. This ain't netduma. Rmerlin can run circles around that whole team. No worries!

I'd like to see a device qos. 5 tiers. Use the device list. Just click on any device and set the tier 1-5. And make the default tier selectable. And of course speed caps on upload and download for bufferbloat. And how about an auto static ip? When the dhcp server assigns an ip, you should have a check mark to auto static ip any new devices. Won't work well for businesses, but this is home hardware.

Sorry. I didn't know what you meant the first time. Do you need for Asus to send you files before the updates can be implemented?

Someone mentioned that Merlin is two versions behind factory firmware.

I'm new to all this.

Thanks

To update my code, I need Asus to release the GPL source code of a given firmware release. Due to the large number of models and firmware releases, Asus are sometimes slow at releasing that source code.

At the time I released 384.,17 (the last stable release), the newest source code available for the RT-AX58U was 3.0.0.4.384_8253, in which QoS was broken.

Since then they have released the 3.0.0.4.384_8563 source code, which I have merged into my development tree, however I haven't released a new firmware yet using that code since my next release is not ready yet. Quick tests showed that the traffic classification that didn't work at all in 384_8253 is now working, but I can't say if QoS was fully fixed, or if it was only in a latter release from Asus (for which there is no source code available yet).

To update my code, I need Asus to release the GPL source code of a given firmware release. Due to the large number of models and firmware releases, Asus are sometimes slow at releasing that source code.

At the time I released 384.,17 (the last stable release), the newest source code available for the RT-AX58U was 3.0.0.4.384_8253, in which QoS was broken.

Since then they have released the 3.0.0.4.384_8563 source code, which I have merged into my development tree, however I haven't released a new firmware yet using that code since my next release is not ready yet. Quick tests showed that the traffic classification that didn't work at all in 384_8253 is now working, but I can't say if QoS was fully fixed, or if it was only in a latter release from Asus (for which there is no source code available yet).

I see. Last question. Is there a way to unlock the rest of the DFS channels? Is there a trick or a hack to make the router not switch from a DFS channel on its own and permanently use it?

Is there a way to unlock the rest of the DFS channels? Is there a trick or a hack to make the router not switch from a DFS channel on its own and permanently use it?
No, because that would mean that the router was operating in an illegal manner (e.g. interfering radar signals).

No, because that would mean that the router was operating in an illegal manner (e.g. interfering radar signals).

That's the thing. I don't live next to an airport and there aren't any weather radars in my city. So I might be just getting false positives. I'll admit. It's super rare to get bumped off the DFS channel. Maybe only a couple of times a year. But still...