What's new

RT-AX58U - Merlin 384.16 Trend Micro Parental Controls Not Working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have been using Time Scheduling in Parental Controls with my brand new RT-AC66U-B1 running Merlin 384.16. Initially I was having problems.

I had read the note "Please disable NAT Acceleration for more precise scheduling control" and observed that the NAT Acceleration setting on LAN - Switch Control was set to Auto. The ? popup help for NAT Acceleration says the Auto setting will disable automatically if any features are selected that will work less precisely, such as time scheduling. I found that time scheduling does not work at all correctly, never mind "less precisely", if NAT Acceleration is set to Auto. The automatic disabling of NAT Acceleration doesn't seem to happen if using Time Scheduling.

When NAT Acceleration is set to Disabled, Time Scheduling works as expected. This works for me :)

I am not using any other Parental Control or AiProtection features, nor any other "powered by Trend Micro" features. I declined the Trend Micro EULA after clicking on some other feature, though I'm guessing that's not needed to enable Time Scheduling.

Mine is a different router model to p-dog's, and I'm only using half the Parental Control features that p-dog is looking to use. Explicitly disabling NAT Acceleration in LAN - Switch Control might help to get those features working.

I confirmed time scheduling works correctly with 384.16. Only Trend Micro web filtering does not. I'm currently using time scheduling and OpenDNS with DDNS update via dnsomatic for web filtering. I can flash back and forth with stock and the results are always the same. After testing I've followed the instructions linked in this thread to factory reset the router and am currently running 384.16. I don't mind not having Trend Micro web filtering on the AX58U but it should be listed in the notes for Merlin firmware that it currently does not work. Easy to test if someone else has the router. So far no one has proven me wrong.

Last edited: